Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ethics and legality aside, from a technical perspective I wonder if it will be possible to disconnect the low speed noise generator on the new Bolt. Either at the generator or possibly from the fuse box. And will that trigger an error/warning on the dashboard.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why do it? The pedestrian warning noise in the Leaf and Prius just sounds like what you'd expect from the electric motors. It would be great if there were sound choices (Jetson car, Jupiter 2, maybe even V-8 ICE) but no sound at all is pretty dangerous to both the driver who's responsible for damage, and for pedestrians and animals.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said - ethics and legality aside. I'm curious about the technology and how it's implemented into the electronics.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Stopping the annoying noise is as simple as pulling the fuse in the Spark EV. Yes it makes the car noticeably quieter when at stop lights. Since my car is also driven by others (wife, teenagers) I put the fuse back in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulling that fuse doesn't trip the dashboard warning/error? I would imagine the ICU monitors fuses and it one fails, it would give you an error or at least "check engine" type light.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Pulling that fuse doesn't trip the dashboard warning/error? I would imagine the ICU monitors fuses and it one fails, it would give you an error or at least "check engine" type light.
It didn't in the Spark EV. Nothing changed except the noise went away.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Stopping the annoying noise is as simple as pulling the fuse in the Spark EV.
Is the noise generator on when the car is stopped? My Prius C generates no noise when stopped - the noise only starts when I lift my foot from the brake pedal. There really isn't any sense in generating noise when stopped because there's no danger of injuring anyone.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recall that the Spark EV makes the noise whenever the gear selector is not in P. There was one time when I was trying to pull out of parking spot in a busy parking lot. I couldn't pull out easily/safely because the pedestrians didn't know I wanted to move and they were meandering slowly in front of the car. In an ICEV, the engine would have been audible, especially starting it. I can see why GM has it make noise whenever the car is ready to move.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
There was one time when I was trying to pull out of parking spot in a busy parking lot. I couldn't pull out easily/safely because the pedestrians didn't know I wanted to move and they were meandering slowly in front of the car.
Yeah, I can see that - makes sense. I haven't had that problem in my Prius C, but of course its engine comes on at the drop of a hat anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ethics and legality aside, from a technical perspective I wonder if it will be possible to disconnect the low speed noise generator on the new Bolt. Either at the generator or possibly from the fuse box. And will that trigger an error/warning on the dashboard.
Just remove the fuse. I did that on my Spark EV and it's much better for it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've recently heard what the noise generator sounds like on an EV (albeit, forgot which one it was exactly), and it was so low-toned and quiet I could hardly notice it as a pedestrian. It came up behind me and I had my hood on and I could barely hear a noise resonating from the rear of me, I looked back and there it was, literally right behind me lol.

·
Banned
350 Posts
On my Spark EV, the noise is so low I can just hear it in my garage with the windows down. Not a problem, IMHO.

One would be very foolish tom turn it off, due to the legal exposure. Consider the conversation in court after you injure a person with this pedestrian safety feature turned off...

·
Registered
99 Posts
On my Spark EV, the noise is so low I can just hear it in my garage with the windows down. Not a problem, IMHO.

One would be very foolish tom turn it off, due to the legal exposure. Consider the conversation in court after you injure a person with this pedestrian safety feature turned off...
"legal exposure"? There's nothing preventing the user from modifying their car with regards to noise makers. The auto manufacturers will at some point be required to put it on, but the user is not bound by that. I've made changes in hardware and software before that were not legal for automakers to have turned on (or off) but sometimes it's a simple as going into the computer and changing settings (or adding or cutting wires). If someone is injured, it would still who is at fault.

But.... It is safer to have it on. (think of the children... )

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would be very wary about disconnecting or disabling the warning sound because if you are involved in a pedestrian related accident and be found to have disconnected it, you could seriously increase your potential liability.

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts
I would be very wary about disconnecting or disabling the warning sound because if you are involved in a pedestrian related accident and be found to have disconnected it, you could seriously increase your potential liability.
If the fuse were to blow "somehow"....can't be liable for that. ;)

1 - 20 of 132 Posts