Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Low Speed Noise Generator

72K views 155 replies 63 participants last post by  shocker 
#1 ·
Ethics and legality aside, from a technical perspective I wonder if it will be possible to disconnect the low speed noise generator on the new Bolt. Either at the generator or possibly from the fuse box. And will that trigger an error/warning on the dashboard.

#5 ·
Stopping the annoying noise is as simple as pulling the fuse in the Spark EV. Yes it makes the car noticeably quieter when at stop lights. Since my car is also driven by others (wife, teenagers) I put the fuse back in.

#10 ·
I recall that the Spark EV makes the noise whenever the gear selector is not in P. There was one time when I was trying to pull out of parking spot in a busy parking lot. I couldn't pull out easily/safely because the pedestrians didn't know I wanted to move and they were meandering slowly in front of the car. In an ICEV, the engine would have been audible, especially starting it. I can see why GM has it make noise whenever the car is ready to move.

#11 ·
There was one time when I was trying to pull out of parking spot in a busy parking lot. I couldn't pull out easily/safely because the pedestrians didn't know I wanted to move and they were meandering slowly in front of the car.
Yeah, I can see that - makes sense. I haven't had that problem in my Prius C, but of course its engine comes on at the drop of a hat anyway.

#13 ·
I've recently heard what the noise generator sounds like on an EV (albeit, forgot which one it was exactly), and it was so low-toned and quiet I could hardly notice it as a pedestrian. It came up behind me and I had my hood on and I could barely hear a noise resonating from the rear of me, I looked back and there it was, literally right behind me lol.

#14 ·
On my Spark EV, the noise is so low I can just hear it in my garage with the windows down. Not a problem, IMHO.

One would be very foolish tom turn it off, due to the legal exposure. Consider the conversation in court after you injure a person with this pedestrian safety feature turned off...

#15 ·
"legal exposure"? There's nothing preventing the user from modifying their car with regards to noise makers. The auto manufacturers will at some point be required to put it on, but the user is not bound by that. I've made changes in hardware and software before that were not legal for automakers to have turned on (or off) but sometimes it's a simple as going into the computer and changing settings (or adding or cutting wires). If someone is injured, it would still who is at fault.

But.... It is safer to have it on. (think of the children... )

#23 ·
No, it would be more like:
"Sir, did you disable the pedestrian warning system of your car by removing the fuse before you killed Mr. Jones that night, as the evidence technician has testified?"

(Under oath)"Yes, Sir."

"Guilty, of Murder in the First Degree!"

#24 ·
If you strike pedestrian in a low speed situation where the warning noise would be active, chances are your insurance company is making a payout.

The only issue is whether or not you believe the noisemaker will help prevent the incident in the first place. The NHTSA has studies that indicate it does. YMMV

#27 ·
If you strike pedestrian in a low speed situation where the warning noise would be active, chances are your insurance company is making a payout.
I wonder if there might be a clause in your insurance contract about keeping the car in good condition, and if a deliberately disabled noisemaker might be grounds for denying you coverage? That could be a life-changing problem if you end up having to pay out of pocket for someone's lost earning capability or long-term care.

Or if a claim in which you had disabled the noisemaker may make it hard or impossible to get further insurance coverage?

Unlikely events, but so are the accidents that I'm willing to pay insurance to indemnify myself against.

#25 ·
Seeing as the noise generator is only active for speeds less than 19MPH, it's unlikely you're killing someone. I know, I know - there are exceptions (what if it is an old person who wasn't in good health to begin with).

That being said - it's our responsibility as drivers to not hit pedestrians. It's not their responsibility to get out of our way because they hear our cars coming. If you hit a person, it's your fault. Just as it's your fault if you rear-end another car.

#29 ·
This conversation about hitting people has definitely gotten a lot further than I expected it lmao. Why try to justify yourself if you hit someone regardless if you have your noise maker installed or not. If you did take it off, what are you really gaining out of it ?! Leave it alone and call it a day.

#34 ·
I didn't realize the Spark EV had the pedestrian warning noise until a few weeks after I started driving the car. Then, when I was familiar enough with the car to know the different sounds it makes, I could pick out the noise really easily (when not using the radio and when stopped or at very slow speeds).

It's one of those things that's distinctive enough that you can't "unhear" it after you know what it sounds like. But if you're not specifically listening for it, or don't expect it, you might not realize it's there, especially coming from an ICEV.

In the Spark EV, you can hear it very easily by having someone put the car in D and putting your head next to one of the front wheel wells (can't remember which). If you don't have the HVAC fans and coolant loops turned on, the only sound the car will be making is this warning noise. Have the driver put it in P and the noise will stop. I'm not sure how the Bolt EV functions, but I'd guess it's the exact same.

#35 ·
I'm not sure how the Bolt EV functions, but I'd guess it's the exact same.
The Bolt warning sound volume will vary with speed. I assume faster = louder.

#40 ·
I have a feeling this might spark the idea in some companies head to come up with custom sound generators. Could be the next "mod" for EV owners as funny as it sounds.

The only question is what would you want the sound to be? The most annoying song you know?

#43 ·
I hate the noise it makes, I constantly think I am dragging something. Also our of curiosity I had my neighbor stand down the street a ways, face away from me and told him to wave his hand when he was able to hear the sound from the car as I drove towards him at 10 mph. He waved his hand about the time I would have hit him. He said it isn't loud and the noise it makes doesn't even make him think car. Hilariously because the last two posts, he said it sounded like darth vader breathing out nonstop.

So yeah, the current one on the car is useless for it's intended purpose and it also won't meet the law that goes into affect next year. Now the law only affects cars sold after that date, so it legally won't affect those of us that already have them. Makes me wonder if existing EVs will end up having higher insurance rates because the pedestrian warning device isn't good enough.

http://insideevs.com/quiet-car-rule-new-evs-must-emit-warning-sounds-us-2019/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.