Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks. Just purchased a 2018 Bolt and love it. Quite an upgrade, in mileage and trim, from the Spark I just turned in.

I need some help with an issue. My Spark pulled only 16 amps so there was no issue with the Bosch EV 200 charger I was using.

When I connected my Bolt it tripped my 30A breaker after a few minutes.

I now realize that the Bolt can pull up to 32 amps (even though my charger is limited to 30 amps).

My question is this. Is there any way to adjust the maximum amperage on the Bolt when using the Level II charging?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
you'll need to upgrade the service to 40A:

googled the Bosch, per their website:
Ask your electrician to install a 40-amp breaker (20-Amp for the 16A EV210) wire and conduit, needed to install a charging station.
The Bolt doesn't have a setting to adjust the amperage on 220V. If the EVSE is rated for 30 amps it will try to pull it. That's what is tripping your breaker. You need at least #8 wire and a 40 amp breaker. Or you need to change out your EVSE to something at or below 24 amps.

too bad your Bosch is hardwired only. cause you can actually use the Bolt's OEM EVSE on that 220V circuit (with an adapter) and it will only pull 12 amps.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sorry I missed that it was a Bosch EV 200 in your original post. It is a nice looking unit. But it looks like there is no way to change the current setting. XJ12 has the best suggestion and it will give you much faster charging than trying to limit the unit to 16 amps.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wow I just looked up the manual for EV 200 and no mention of changing the current it draws. You need to run a new wire/breaker or you need to change the guts of the evse with open evse or smart evse controller. I just did this with my Siemens Versicharge because it kept faulting out on me.. Congrats on the Bolt though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow I just looked up the manual for EV 200 and no mention of changing the current it draws. You need to run a new wire/breaker or you need to change the guts of the evse with open evse or smart evse controller. I just did this with my Siemens Versicharge because it kept faulting out on me.. Congrats on the Bolt though.
The change to openEVSE “guts” will let you limit the charger to an appropriate amperage for your service. To find that, look for the breaker and multiply the number on the breaker by 0.8 as you should “derate” the service by 20% for a continuous load. For example I have a 50A breaker and 50A service to my EVSE but it’s configured for 40A since it is a continuous load.

As mentioned the other option is to upgrade the service (breaker, wire, maybe conduit) to your EVSE. Please DO NOT just replace the breaker with a higher rated one as that creates a very real fire risk.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've used my factory EVSE at 240 also. Like XJ says its only 12 amps, but thats still like 120 miles overnight.. not many people use more than that daily.

I'll sell you an adapter if you need one.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Are you saying the EVSE that comes with the car can be plugged into a 240 V (with adapter)?
The EVSE (charger) that comes with the car can be absolutely plugged in to 240v. I have a 240v welder outlet in my workshop rated for 20 amps, and it charges very well. You just need to make an adapter cable to wire the two bladed 240v connectors to the 2 bladed 120v connectors. Ground to ground. Word to the wise, the premade NEMA 14-50 to 120 plug adapters sold on amazon for $10-$20 are NOT going to give you 240v at the plug you want. There’s a mom and pop company that makes the proper adapters.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Are you saying the EVSE that comes with the car can be plugged into a 240 V (with adapter)?
No disagreement with posts. I have reasoned,(possibly correctly) that in a world of litigation and affixing blame; if an electrical device is labeled for a particular use and if it is not used as such - all bets are off in regard to insurances etc.
Also manufactures are notorious for finding ways out of warranty repair.
Additionally I would offer that we have never had an electrical device in our homes that can draw continuously like an electric car battery. Not even a welding machine compares.

·
Registered
676 Posts
No disagreement with posts. I have reasoned,(possibly correctly) that in a world of litigation and affixing blame; if an electrical device is labeled for a particular use and if it is not used as such - all bets are off in regard to insurances etc.
Also manufactures are notorious for finding ways out of warranty repair.

Booo!!! Hissssss..... :) :) :) :)

Even if you use the Chevy branded EVSE included with the car, I'd check all the outlets on that branch circuit to make sure they have wires on the screw terminals and not simply stabbed in the back of the outlets. The car will pull power for HOURS and any lose connections will get hot.

As for running the included EVSE at 240v, you can either cut off the molded plug that's on it and rewire to an intermediary plug such as a twist and lock 3 pin and make adapters from there, or you can do what most folks do which is make a 240v->120v plug adapter, label it really well and leave it in the spare tire well of the car when not in use. I have two such adapters in my car, one for a 240v 15amp (nema 6-15) and a 240v 50amp (nema 14-50).

One person in this forum that I know of cut the plug off the included evse and replaced it with L5-20 twist and lock. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Pass-and-Seymour-Turnlok-20-Amp-125-Volt-NEMA-L5-20R-Connector-L520CCCV3/100548884?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100548884-_-N . The made adapters using this plug as a staring point: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-20-Amp-125-Volt-NEMA-L5-20P-2-Pole-3-Watt-Locking-Plug-Industrial-Grade-Grounding-Corrosion-Resistant-Yellow-White-23CM-11/301390474

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Booo!!! Hissssss..... :) :) :) :)

Even if you use the Chevy branded EVSE included with the car, I'd check all the outlets on that branch circuit to make sure they have wires on the screw terminals and not simply stabbed in the back of the outlets. The car will pull power for HOURS and any lose connections will get hot.

As for running the included EVSE at 240v, you can either cut off the molded plug that's on it and rewire to an intermediary plug such as a twist and lock 3 pin and make adapters from there, or you can do what most folks do which is make a 240v->120v plug adapter, label it really well and leave it in the spare tire well of the car when not in use. I have two such adapters in my car, one for a 240v 15amp (nema 6-15) and a 240v 50amp (nema 14-50).

One person in this forum that I know of cut the plug off the included evse and replaced it with L5-20 twist and lock. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Pass-and-Seymour-Turnlok-20-Amp-125-Volt-NEMA-L5-20R-Connector-L520CCCV3/100548884?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100548884-_-N . The made adapters using this plug as a staring point: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-20-Amp-125-Volt-NEMA-L5-20P-2-Pole-3-Watt-Locking-Plug-Industrial-Grade-Grounding-Corrosion-Resistant-Yellow-White-23CM-11/301390474

It was L6-20, but it's basically the same thing. Doing L6-20 to all adapters and extension cords intended for the EVSE at 240V effectively eliminates the risk someone will plug a 5-15P into it, and blow up an appliance and/or themselves.

·
Registered
92 Posts
some chargers do allow to reduce the Amps
The easiest of these may be the Siemens VersiCharge. I dialed back my VersiCharge to run on a 240v 20a outlet in my basement. It's a tiny bit slower than running at a full 30a, but I did not want to tear into sheetrock to install new wiring...

Reactions: hatchy
1 - 20 of 24 Posts