Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe I am an idiot, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to activate the rear outer lower red taillamps / stoplamps (Identified as such in the owners manual).

I have LEDs to install and want to make sure I put them in in the proper direction, but I can't verify them. I can't get the lamps to come on!

Nothing works. Brake? Nope. Only the uppers.

Running lights / taillamps? Nope. Only the uppers, sides, and fronts.

Headlights on? Nope. DRL off? Nope. I've tried every combination I can think of.

In gear? Nope. Tried Reverse, Low (hard to do drive without a helper), Neutral.

I searched the manual, but it does not actually say what turns these lamps on.

Anyone know why something called stoplamps does not come on with the brake?

Do they only come on with regen (something I can't verify myself)? I didn't try squeezing the regen paddle while stopped in my garage.

I am not a car newbie. I rebuild and restore them. But I am new to the Bolt.

If anyone has ever SEEN these lights come on, let me know how to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Interesting... You're right, there's a lamp in there that's wired and everything but running lights nor hazards will activate it. I'd guess that it's only applicable to the Opel Ampera where different regulations require the extra emergency braking lights, and since this is a low-volume dual market car those lights are just disabled on the NA cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting. In Europe (well, the UK at least, where I grew up, now in CA), all cars have to have a set of bright red rear fog lamps. They maybe do double duty and work for this over there.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, bad news. The LEDs work, but the car reports that the lights are "out" because the LED current is too low.

It says "Check rear tail lamps" or something like that.

I'd have to use either load resistors or the so-called CAN compatible LEDs which have the resistor built in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's unfortunate. I was going to do the LED upgrade also. Would you believe I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what those incandescent red brake lights were?

Which LED bulbs did you get? Is it just for the brake lights? Or the reverse also? I would imagine the turn signals definitely would require load resistors.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't remember what LEDs I bought, but I'll see if I can find them (it was eBay, I think). I think I just bought generics. Maybe Katurs. My purchase history is already deleted (90 days).

I recently had the 14.4.2 firmware installed for the infotainment and the warnings about the left and right brake lamps needing service is GONE!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke too soon. I just got the warning this morning five days after my visit. I’ll find out if I get them every ignition cycle now or just once in a while.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your car has fog lights ?????? :eek:
No fog lights, no Bolt yet! :(
The super-bright tail lights are I think a feature required on (some?) new European cars. They are so bright that they are obnoxious if you are behind one at a stoplight. Since they are intended as a low-visibility supplement, I expect they are wired into the fog light switch on those models. So ... perhaps the high intensity taillight feature is an option for the European version of Bolt. Just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
989 Posts
No fog lights, no Bolt yet! :(
The super-bright tail lights are I think a feature required on (some?) new European cars. They are so bright that they are obnoxious if you are behind one at a stoplight. Since they are intended as a low-visibility supplement, I expect they are wired into the fog light switch on those models. So ... perhaps the high intensity taillight feature is an option for the European version of Bolt. Just a guess on my part.

Bolt's don't have fog lamps :x The lower lamps in the bumper come on if the hatch
is open. This still gives the car tail lights in case the hatch is up past the visibility of
drivers behind.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
California, I can see those lower brake lamps being wired to a FOG switch on European cars. Don't know if the Ampera-E had one. There could easily be a fog setting on the headlamp switch. Are there any Ampera-E owners out there?

The previous poster did not understand the intent behind the words you posted, but instead got hung up on the word FOG and just had to post something to show he was right about it.

I get the warning message every ignition cycle now. I'm taking the LEDs out of those lamps since they are unused 99% of the time. I don't need to keep clearing the warning message and wearing out the button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The previous poster did not understand the intent behind the words you posted, but instead got hung up on the word FOG and just had to post something to show he was right about it.
Thanks. It was an unexplained mystery when I first posted. I intended simply an hypothesis to explore, a method of problem-solving.

It's good to hear there is a more reasonable explanation for the 'mystery' taillights.

And I hope returning to conventional bulbs takes care of your error message.

·
Registered
989 Posts
California, I can see those lower brake lamps being wired to a FOG switch on European cars. Don't know if the Ampera-E had one. There could easily be a fog setting on the headlamp switch. Are there any Ampera-E owners out there?

I get the warning message every ignition cycle now. I'm taking the LEDs out of those lamps since they are unused 99% of the time. I don't need to keep clearing the warning message and wearing out the button on the steering wheel.
To whom are you referring to ?

·
Registered
499 Posts
While it might be that those lights might have a fog light function in non-US markets, the Dr. is correct: They come on when the hatch is open, so he IS 'right about it', so it's good info, which is what I come to this forum for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts