Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not sure if this is good or bad news or it just means things will remain the same...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Interesting. In my travels, I've found EVgo to be expensive and slow (at most 40kW). EA is cheaper and has higher charging rates, which is important for the new cars hitting the market. I wonder if LS Power is going to spend money to upgrade the EVgo chargers to 100 or 150 kW. It could be that LS Power sees EV's as the next big thing and wants part of the action, or it could be that they'll "freshen up" EVgo and sell it for a profit. Time will tell.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
It could mean they will lay bunch of people off, and sell off the assets. That was my experience over the last several decades of my working life.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Currently, there are very few EVs in the US that will charge using CCS at 75 kW for more than a short period - and most charge at 150A or less). Obviously, Teslas (on a different plug, and which have their own fast charge network) but other than that, only really expensive cars just released which cost over $70K or more (such as i-pace and e-tron). I really don't think we will be seeing 10s of thousands of those any time soon. KIA/Hyundai has EVs that charge at a max of 70-75kW (up to about 40% SOC) but they are only dribbling out in the U.S.

EVgo in Calif started replacing older (100A) units with 200A units a while back (because they don't need water-cooled cables, and there weren't any non-teslas that could charge faster). For example, at this site in San Jose :

Or this new site W of Sacramento (Woodland) :

I would hope that they would continue upgrading sites with these "80 kW" units (as they call them). Due to demand surcharges as well as the lower charge rate of most vehicles, the 200A units would be a good choice for upgrades to many existing installations.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Interesting. In my travels, I've found EVgo to be expensive and slow (at most 40kW). EA is cheaper and has higher charging rates, which is important for the new cars hitting the market. I wonder if LS Power is going to spend money to upgrade the EVgo chargers to 100 or 150 kW. It could be that LS Power sees EV's as the next big thing and wants part of the action, or it could be that they'll "freshen up" EVgo and sell it for a profit. Time will tell.
There's another thread started by GJetson that talks about the partnership with Tesla & EVgo.
“EVgo’s new program features integrated Tesla connectors installed at all EVgo public fast charging stations in the City of San Francisco. We expect the program to expand nationally from there in 2020. EVgo’s new integrated Tesla charging provides up to 90 miles of charge in about 30 minutes at one flat per minute rate, with no additional fees.”
Based on their new program, they seem to be addressing the issue of being slow. Not sure what their per minute charge will be.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Currently, there are very few EVs in the US that will charge using CCS at 75 kW for more than a short period

EVgo in Calif started replacing older (100A) units with 200A units a while back (because they don't need water-cooled cables, and there weren't any non-teslas that could charge faster).
Yes, currently there are few. But they are coming...VW and Ford for example.
Yes, California seems to get the "good" chargers...but I can't take advantage of those since I don't live or travel there.

I'm not knocking EVgo. From my experience, they are more reliable than EA. And maybe they have plans to upgrade their nationwide network. I just haven't seen or heard of those plans.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Believe me, I am not complaining about EVgo. They just put four new units in Charlottesville...the first EVgo units in Virginia, outside the DC area. They are 100 amp units. These are just fine with me. If they put them at every shopping mall, and gas station on the east coast, I could reliably, and happily, go anywhere without worrying about CC readers not working, or heavy cooled cables breaking my charge port. This would be all the "progress" we ever need. Ban ICE now!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There's another thread started by GJetson that talks about the partnership with Tesla & EVgo.
“EVgo’s new program features integrated Tesla connectors installed at all EVgo public fast charging stations in the City of San Francisco. We expect the program to expand nationally from there in 2020. EVgo’s new integrated Tesla charging provides up to 90 miles of charge in about 30 minutes at one flat per minute rate, with no additional fees.”
Based on their new program, they seem to be addressing the issue of being slow. Not sure what their per minute charge will be.
90 miles of charge in about 30 minutes at one flat per minute rate

90 miles in 30 min is about the rate of the Bolt : 125-150A, or 50-55 kW. I wouldn't call that "addressing the issue of being slow". (Yes, it's better than 100A, but still slow)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
90 miles of charge in about 30 minutes at one flat per minute rate, with no additional fees.”
Based on their new program, they seem to be addressing the issue of being slow.
Yup, they are still slow. 90 miles in 30 min on a model 3 is averaging about 45 KW charge rate, so probably a 125 amp unit at best.

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts