Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the stock head unit can play mp3's off a USB drive. All the info I can find is that the LT has 2 front USB ports. I assume for charging. Doesn't mention USB drive compatibility.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I play by folder ? It seems to mix all my songs together. I cant figure out how to navigate by folder...
I use the steering wheel controls for the audio (with the 8" screen).

Press Right (when the source is already USB 1 or 2), then choose Browse, then Folder. Now all your folders will be listed.

Something I thought I saw but haven't tried: On the 10" screen in Audio mode, I thought I saw the Favorite "Star" on the screen, so it appears I can probably click it while in a folder and have it listed as one of my favorites.

All in all, I'm fairly impressed with the Bolt's audio user interface.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heads up: The 64GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 drive does not work with the Bolt.

I tried NTFS and even used an App for FAT32. Does not even recognize anything connected to the USB port.

·
Super Moderator
2,557 Posts

I tried NTFS and even used an App for FAT32. Does not even recognize anything connected to the USB port.
Good to know. My wife is having this trouble with her Lexas too. I think the newer, or bigger USB thumb drives aren't compatible. This kind of trouble is common throughout the automotive industry. The auto business is a slow moving creature that struggles to keep up with the fast moving target of the computer industry.

We should post up what brands and models of thumb drives do work on this forum, so others can skip the headache.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So would the issue be having to use a usb 2.0 rather than a 3.0 ? I didn't think that made a difference to anything except transfer speed or whatever

·
Registered
67 Posts
So would the issue be having to use a usb 2.0 rather than a 3.0 ? I didn't think that made a difference to anything except transfer speed or whatever
No, my USB 3.0 drive works fine.
I used "Export for iTunes" on my Mac to push everything onto a USB drive, which gives me album/artist/track info in the display.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Yes, wish I would have seen this before I purchased the 128GB version of the SanDisk USb drive. Wanted the largest low profile device to store some of my music for the car.

Bolt manual says NTFS supported but after reformatting my 128GB USB to that, no workie. Some smaller USB drives I had around work fine.

What's the largest USB drive anyone has gotten to work?

·
Registered
20 Posts
BTW, a must know.
You CAN play your FLAC files music. Easy, rename the extension for .WAV and it works flawlessly!!!
I used the "flacsquisher" app to make MP3 versions of my FLAC music files for use in the car; this compresses and minimizes the file size and sounds fine for car use.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I thought the whole point of FLAC was to have lossless audio files, not compressed lossy mp3 junk?

If it can play back FLAC by simply renaming to WAV... why convert to MP3 with today's large flash drives?

Thanks for the tip Fire!! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Some of my "folders" don't show. I'm guessing that I have too many levels as in
"60s", Hendrix, album. The main folders don't show. I also believe that the instructions
mentioned either 16GB or 32GB.... I forget but mine is a 32.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, wish I would have seen this before I purchased the 128GB version of the SanDisk USb drive. Wanted the largest low profile device to store some of my music for the car.

Bolt manual says NTFS supported but after reformatting my 128GB USB to that, no workie. Some smaller USB drives I had around work fine.

What's the largest USB drive anyone has gotten to work?
Actually the Bolt manual says only FAT32 can be used "The USB storage device can only be recognized when it is formatted in FAT16/32" is the exact quote from the manual. I am using both 256Gig and 128Gig Sandisk Cruzer Glide thumb drives and they work perfectly.

I did download a FAT32 format program to my PC and make sure the drives were formatted FAT32.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts