Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: what material is the Bolt EV LT steering wheel made of? Looks like leather...curious why the heated wheel specifies it's leather so wonder if the LT non heated wheel is something else.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
i test drove the standard base LT, with no comfort/convenience package (so no heated steering wheel). the steering wheel is plastic/rubber. it's rental car level cheap

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
i test drove the standard base LT, with no comfort/convenience package (so no heated steering wheel). the steering wheel is plastic/rubber. it's rental car level cheap
Correct. Similar stuff on my Jetta Trendline+ but I really don't mind it there. However when I bought my Bolt I ponied up for the comfort package on my LT and it was worth every dollar.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
On the bright side, plastics are easy to wipe down periodically with Lysol wipes. Those steering wheels can get pretty dirty with how many surfaces your hand interacts with on a daily basis.

·
Registered
735 Posts
On the bright side, plastics are easy to wipe down periodically with Lysol wipes. Those steering wheels can get pretty dirty with how many surfaces your hand interacts with on a daily basis.
Sometimes I just keep a microfiber rag and wipe down frequently touched areas with it. Hate using so much chemicals unless its some fancy organic cleaning product but even then its not always needed. Microfibers have served me well! I buy a 10-pack and keep throwing them in the laundry :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
Can anyone tell me what is the base material for chrome plastic parts in steering wheel?
I have learned it is PC-ABS. So how does the mechanical property of PC-ABS changes when it is chromed?
Can anyone suggest me the young's modulus and density of chromed plastic part?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually like my LT steering wheel. I would like to believe that it will keep its look longer than the leather steering wheel on my 09 Honda CRV. It feels somewhat like leather IMO. I really think leather is over-rated if you plan on keeping your car more than 3-5 years. Leather gets grungy looking over time, even if you take care of it. With a lot of use, some composite leather materials will simply disintegrate, unless its 'real' leather hide. That is one of the reasons I went with the LT for my daily driver. I just wanted cloth seats for once and sturdier plastic materials on the armrests. Im going to buy some seat covers. Lets see how this works out.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I actually like my LT steering wheel. I would like to believe that it will keep its look longer than the leather steering wheel on my 09 Honda CRV. It feels somewhat like leather IMO. I really think leather is over-rated if you plan on keeping your car more than 3-5 years. Leather gets grungy looking over time, even if you take care of it. With a lot of use, some composite leather materials will simply disintegrate, unless its 'real' leather hide. That is one of the reasons I went with the LT for my daily driver. I just wanted cloth seats for once and sturdier plastic materials on the armrests. Im going to buy some seat covers. Lets see how this works out.
Interesting. The leather on my '03 focus' steering wheel still looked great when I handed it over 14yrs later, and not once did I do anything to condition or maintain it. And it's not like that car had an easy life either. I'm hoping that the leather on my Bolt's steering wheel holds up as well, but you're right we might be talking about genuine leather vs vinyl that looks like leather.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Interesting. The leather on my '03 focus' steering wheel still looked great when I handed it over 14yrs later, and not once did I do anything to condition or maintain it.
Did you keep it in a garage? I'm wondering if the leather degradation that some people complain about may be due to sunlight.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Did you keep it in a garage? I'm wondering if the leather degradation that some people complain about may be due to sunlight.
It was garage parked (overnight) for most of its life, but always spent weekdays out in the sun at my work.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Another plus, I find I didn't really miss the heated steering wheel from my old Volt. Last few days the cold snap didn't seem to really affect my Bolt LT's plastic steering wheel. I forget the exact physics term, but the plastic wheel doesn't sink heat very well so when I touch it in cold weather, it feels cool and not frigid cold. It doesn't do anything to warm up my cold hands, but it doesn't make them worse. HVAC (due to plenty of EV range) eventually takes care of my cold fingers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts