Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I pretty much have my mind set on getting the Bolt as the next car within the next week or two. I've been comparing features from the LT with all options (Driver confidence and Comfort package) vs the Premier Base and I've set that the side mirror monitoring is a must.

I'm not completely sold on the leather seats yet, Chrome wheels don't really matter to me, roof racks I'll never use. I do love the LED Pipping ambient light, false floor I would probably use. LED turn signals are nice, but not super critical.

I"m not sure if I can justify 2k for those things that don't matter to me..

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Never spend $2000 on things that do not matter to you. I agree that the roof rack is something I would probably rarely, if ever, use. But four sit easily for a long trip and 250 miles between charges means that long trips (450 miles per day) are possible. A luggage container, rather than a kayak rack, would be nice "to be able to have". I love my "leather" seats, but for many they are not a necessity. If you can get the full confidence package on a LT, that might be your better buy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never spend $2000 on things that do not matter to you. I agree that the roof rack is something I would probably rarely, if ever, use. But four sit easily for a long trip and 250 miles between charges means that long trips (450 miles per day) are possible. A luggage container, rather than a kayak rack, would be nice "to be able to have". I love my "leather" seats, but for many they are not a necessity. If you can get the full confidence package on a LT, that might be your better buy.
I forgot to mention the Rear view camera and the Surround Vision which would be really nice to have, thought I'm not sure if its worth it .

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I DO love both the rear view camera and the surround vision (which I use daily). Don't count on your wheel stopping at every curb, your underbody will scrape first. Seeing where I am in a parking space is VERY helpful. Already (5 months) I would not like to be without it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have found buying what I want/like works best as it cost more to try and add those things later.
I purchased a loaded Premier and wouldn't do it any other way, even if, I did it again.
I've been sold on those premium items in the past that I thought I would never use.
They've become the norm and I am glad I have them now. I remember thinking I wouldn't
need a backup camera. HA! It's great. The rear view mirror camera was a requirement for me
and the birds eye view is handy also. Heated seats and heated steering wheel are mandatory
on an EV. It helps save range when you use them instead of the HVAC system.

I wouldn't skimp on something I was planning on driving for a long time. It's only money
and you can't take it with you when you go. Trying to add stuff later is useless. The dollar amount
isn't that much, so I didn't make that mistake with mine. YMMV!

After the tax break, and all the rebates, it's a non issue in my book !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Safety features

I agree with the above comments and for me, it is worth the extra price just for the safety features. I don't know which come with the LT. Some things I really like:
1. Lane change warning of someone in your blind spot.
2. "Overhead" view for ease of parking plus the rear camera data.
3. Front collision warning including braking.
4. Backup warning if a person or another car is headed your way.
5. Fall asleep and drift to the right warning and automatic steering back into the lane (tried it and it works)
etc.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I recommend the LT Trim with these chargeable options:

DC Fast Charge
Comfort & Convenience
Driver Confidence
Optional: Special Color

October pricing has this configuration below $34,700 (Excluding dealer processing fees/tax) Out-the-door at several US dealers

My reasoning is:
Options mentioned provide more than adequate safety features
Why pay for leather on seats that likely may be an issue for you? If you need to modify the seating, put seat covers over the cloth.
Surround Vision is not autonomous driving and seems like yet another distraction (it is neat, but I somehow survived without this for 40 years)
Only difference regarding the wheels is some minor paint
After market audio is better than Bose for the $
Limo LED ambient lighting - after market DIY and pimp your Bolt out for less.

A fully loaded Premiere would be much more than $2K over a LT. I presume that if money grew on your backyard trees, you probably wouldn't have posted the concern in the first place. $2K or a lot more can perhaps be spent on other needs.

Also, it is more important to note that whichever trim you choose, you will Always save 50% or more in Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) over the long life of your EV. So even if you opt for a fully loaded Bolt, your ROI of the price delta will probably be less than 12 Months. Just add up all the gas receipts you paid in the past.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Also, it is more important to note that whichever trim you choose, you will Always save 50% or more in Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) over the long life of your EV. So even if you opt for a fully loaded Bolt, your ROI of the price delta will probably be less than 12 Months. Just add up all the gas receipts you paid in the past.
You sure drive a hard bargain to buy the loaded premier :D Don't forget to add up the maint. costs to that list of saved money. The car will pay for itself even if you buy, the better car :nerd:

You can't go wrong with the premier, but you can't go back with the LT >:)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Like most packages with the Bolt there are features you definitely want sprinkled with ones you'll not care so much about. However I was surprised at how much I like the features here that I was sure I didn't want

• Screen rear view mirror is a must, I'll never go without it again
  • Seat heaters are necessary because they save you from running the air heaters all the time
  • Leather isn't about luxury rather than sanity and cleanliness
  • The LED strip (which I didn't even know about before I bought) is really, really nice. I love it, if I would have known I would definitely pay for it
  • DC fast charge has surprisingly been not so important so far, but I'm sure someday I'll be glad I have it
  • Driver Safety II is a must
  • The rear USB ports are really useful, everybody has a device now and they all need charging
I never buy options, but somehow with the Bolt got a car with everything and haven't regretted it a bit

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I went through the LT vs. Premier headache too. In the end my cheap bassterd self won out and I went LT with some options. No regrets really, but there are two things I really wish I had and they are the blue ambient dash lighting and the surround vision. The ambient lighting I can get busy and tear into the car and add it later if I ever get time, but the surround vision no way. Way too much hardware to install and then I would have to get a software change too and I don't even know if that's possible.

So I say if money is not a hardship, go for the Premier, but in my case, I have a lot of competing demands for my money and I couldn't justify an extra $4,100. I still don't have regrets as this is the fanciest and most expensive car I have ever owned, even in cheap bassterd mode. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Surround Vision is not autonomous driving and seems like yet another distraction (it is neat, but I somehow survived without this for 40 years)
I'm not sure what autonomous driving has to do with surround vision...

I've survived 40 years without it too, but with every car I've ever owned I've never been 100% confident that I've gotten the car into a parking space just the way I wanted to until I actually got out and had an external view of how well I'd done. It's gotten better now that I've put one of those convex fisheye mirrors on the passenger side mirror, but it's still far from a perfect view. Surround vision is probably the biggest thing I'm looking forward to when I get my Bolt. That and the heated steering wheel...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Like most packages with the Bolt there are features you definitely want sprinkled with ones you'll not care so much about. However I was surprised at how much I like the features here that I was sure I didn't want

[*]Seat heaters are necessary because they save you from running the air heaters all the time.

Agree with all the points. However, 90% of my driving is alone. Having a heated driver’s seat is a must. Having the rear seats heated is an extra.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm not sure what autonomous driving has to do with surround vision...
Exactly! ;)

That and the heated steering wheel...
You expose something very interesting about the discussion. Many of the options are more valuable to a buyer based on geography.

There are at least 19 CHAdeMO/CCS DC fast charging stations within a 15 mile radius of our home. I can justify the DC Fast charge option, although I may never use it. In your case, you're Hot ? for the heated steering wheel (and perhaps heated seats). We live here in the Mojave desert, so the last thing I would want to pay for is a heated anything.

Remote preconditioning on the other hand...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have an LT with the exact option package in your post.

Love it. Has everything I need and nothing I don't.

In my book... 2 or 3 g's is still 2 or 3 g's no matter how you try and convince yourself that it isn't a big deal.

I've posted where you can get an excellent leather package for an LT if you want one and a forum member has shown how to add red LED to the dash..

Surround camera is missing and the front safety features....and give the wife a blanket and a thermos if she needs seat warmers for the back seat.

You can save the 2 or 3 g's for the divorce attorney if necessary...or just move her to the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its wonderful to read everyone's opinion about the situation. I just don't want to buy the LT and have "buyers remorse" when I see the premier right now and not it. Again, money isn't a factor, but I don't want to spend it if it doesn't work. I think I need to test drive a Premier and see how it goes, maybe at night time :)

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Over the course of a 5 year loan, the difference between the LT w/all options (including DC fast charging) and a base Premier with no options (including no DC fast charging) is only about $50 a month.

If you go for the Premier with no options, at least try to get one with DC fast charging. That will make the car a lot more useful than skipping the other packages.

For the record, I opted to get all the bells and whistles I could because this was a car that I plan to keep for a lot longer than 5 years. Which meant a Premier with all the toys. No regrets here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Seems to me like the best bang for your buck deal out there is an LT with DC fast charging and those 2 option packages (driver confidence & convenience). I don't know about out west like Cali but I see many here on the east coast that are going for sub $35,000. The only thing on the Premier that i would want really is that cool rear view mirror camera and the surround view camera, that Bose sound system might be cool too but i read that standard sound system isn't horrible by any stretch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Personally I think GM cheaped out on the Premier by not including adaptive cruise control, it's a half-finished product. Why can't I have it when the Volt has it.

The video mirror is really cool, but the screen got really hot when I left it on for some time.

The wireless charging slot is too small for my phone. I like the LT center console better.

You can buy the false floor cover separately and install it into the LT. I was all gung ho about it in the beginning but I don't have it and I don't really miss it.

Intelligent high beam is nice, but I don't mind controlling my own high beam.

I don't miss the dash limo glow light.

Shinier wheels, meh

Roof rails, possibly useful, but I have another car for road trips and adventures

Leather sure looks nicer but it's not as environmentally friendly, at least that's what I tell myself.

Birdseye view is the only feature I really miss from the Premier, but I'm not sure if it's worth ~$4200.

In some ways, I love the simplicity of my LT.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I personally go for highest trim because adding on those extras later may or may not be possible and generally costs more.
I’ve skimped out on a couple of cars in the past and had buyers remorse. One example was a Toyota Prius I bought as a base model and lived with for 7 years. I didn’t think spending the extra 4K was worth it so it didn’t have backup camera, Bluetooth, navigation, leather, upgraded stereo, fog lights, etc. That was really bad, and a lot of those features now have become the baseline norm of any decent car today.
The two current cars I own today (Infiniti QX80 and Q50S Red sport) have the surround view/ birds eye view camera system and I wouldn’t buy any new car without it.

As for the radar cruise control, I never use it. Here in Toronto there are too many aggressive drivers and everyone goes so fast, it’s better to have manual control at all times to keep pace with traffic in this driving environment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts