Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tesla Model S has an option for a Ludicrous Mode, which essentially makes the vehicle quicker. Elon Musk, when asked if the model 3 would have Ludicrous Mode as well, said "Of Course". Think the Chevy Bolt would come with something cool like that ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah--sorry, sometimes you just need to rip the Bandaid off!

I have speculated about increased performance versions of the Bolt EV. Here's my take on an AWD Bolt EV: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-chevy-bolt-general-discussion-forum/3282-2019-bolt-ev-awd.html

And here's more speculation (with less realism) about a Bolt EV SS version: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-chevy-bolt-general-discussion-forum/3473-2019-bolt-ev-ss.html

That fantasy Bolt EV SS would be close in performance to a mid-level Model 3.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah--sorry, sometimes you just need to rip the Bandaid off!

I have speculated about increased performance versions of the Bolt EV. Here's my take on an AWD Bolt EV: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-chevy-bolt-general-discussion-forum/3282-2019-bolt-ev-awd.html

And here's more speculation (with less realism) about a Bolt EV SS version: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-chevy-bolt-general-discussion-forum/3473-2019-bolt-ev-ss.html

That fantasy Bolt EV SS would be close in performance to a mid-level Model 3.
Those were both amazing reads holy cow, If only there was a suggestion box that you could send that to ! Those are some great ideas, I wish something like the SS would come out. However, the AWD system alone seems genius. That's some real good work thought process there !

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I have noticed in a few pictures and some videos that there is a 'Sport' button on the dash on the left hand side, just below the radio/hvac controls. I am not sure exactly what this does.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The easy speculation is that the Sport button is the same as on the Spark EV. It only changes the throttle position to power level map and does nothing to increase actual performance. I recall that one guy who autocrosses his Spark EV didn't like that mode because it reduced his ability to finely control throttle input.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, the sport button drops the air suspension, activates ridiculous and biodefense modes, and activates AWD, while chilling the glovebox kegerator.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Although GM will not produce a "sposts" model of the Bolt EV, that doesn't mean a third party will offer a version. Just like Saleen updates the Ford Mustang and Callaway updates the Corvette and Camaro, someone will do the same for electric cars. But it may not be as cost effective as one may believe. By the same reason, someone may think up a way to make the battery swappable, so they can set up swap stations along superhighways and for several dollars you can get another 50 kWh in minutes.

One idea for a drag racer is to remove a big part of the battery and leave about 1 kWh or less, just enough to roll toward the track and out. Then add several kWhs of supercapacitors and rebuild the controller (and motor if possible) to pull over 300 kW of immediate power, enough for several seconds of a race. The battery removal will lighten up the Bolt EV and with that immediate power it can run faster than many gassers.

Supercaps are light for the power they handle, but each can supply hundres of amps and tens of thousands of watts in seconds, more than what any battery can!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, the sport button drops the air suspension, activates ridiculous and biodefense modes, and activates AWD, while chilling the glovebox kegerator.
....I read the first part of that and I thought air suspension ?! And then I read the rest and I though.. this guy, good game. :|

·
Registered
730 Posts
What we might see is something come of this in a sporty way offered through another model, like say a next generation HYBRID Corvette that features Voltec technology. It's a long shot but very possible and becomes very relevant at that point to the targeted demographic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts