Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bjorn Nyland did a series of range tests with a large battery Ford Mach-E this weekend. Below are some of the results I jotted down from the video:

SOC = Charge Rate
35% = 107kW
47% = 80kW
59% = 77 kW
66% = 79 kW
72% = 78 kW
79% = 76 kW
80% = 12 kW (really)
82% = 11 kW

Charging drops off a steep cliff at 80% SOC. Ugh.

Rich

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I didn't know they were selling them in Europe already, or was this a pre-release car?

I saw reports of the "fall off a cliff at 80%" before, but it was on a pre-production car and the hopes were that it was going to be changed before production car was released... is the car Bjorn tested a full production car?

Keith

·
Registered
783 Posts
I didn't know they were selling them in Europe already, or was this a pre-release car?

I saw reports of the "fall off a cliff at 80%" before, but it was on a pre-production car and the hopes were that it was going to be changed before production car was released... is the car Bjorn tested a full production car?

Keith
I don't know about Bjorn's car, but there is a guy in Alabama who bought one in Colorado and documented his drive back on FB. It was cold out, but I don't think he got over 80kW and got 2.0 miles per kWh on most of the trip driving at 75mph.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't know about Bjorn's car, but there is a guy in Alabama who bought one in Colorado and documented his drive back on FB. It was cold out, but I don't think he got over 80kW and got 2.0 miles per kWh on most of the trip driving at 75mph.
At this speed and cold weather and EUV type it is what you will see.... AWD and more powerful Mach-E will be even more thirsty. It will take couple generations before Ford is ready to provide good efficiency. Getting a lot of power is easy.... but making efficient EV is not easy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't look at it as "fall off a cliff"; I see it as "maintain a steady rate as long as possible, then bail." Given the choice between a charge curve that starts taper at 35%-40% (id.3, m3), or holds mostly steady for a long time (e-tron, mach-e), I'd take the latter.

Looks like Mach-E charging from 20% to 80% would be about 80kw for 57kwh, or 43 minutes. Going 20%-80% in mY would average about 95kw for 47kwh, or 30 minutes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a test of charging speeds and rates by Bjorn of the: Mach-E, Tesla, EQC and EQV. Interesting results.

Rich

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I took the time to watch some of his video's on the Mach E, and he does state that it does not have finalized software, so the charging curve is not "set in stone" and the infotainment bugs will hopefully soon be worked out.

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts