Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I purchased my bolt the dealership told me it was Level 3 charging compatible, unfortunately it's not. Is there anyway to upgrade or maybe install anything on the vehicle to take level three?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If the dealership mislead you, it seems like they should make it right, by swapping the car for one that is DCFC compatible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look at it this way, if you have to take a long trip, say over 500 miles in less than two days, simply rent a car. Think about it like this; A 1000 mile trip could be 1% of the miles you put on your car before you start looking at an upgrade.

Why put that kind of wear and tear and miles on your own vehicle? If you can find a deal like 30 - 40 dollars a day, with unlimited mileage, it could likely be cheaper in the long run. Yes, you will have to pay for gas, but if something goes wrong with the car they bring you a new one. You don't have to wash it or clean the inside after the long trip. etc.

Most of us likely don't use level 3 chargers all that often. Those roadside level 3 chargers that one has to pay for are not all that cheap. And some say it's harder on your battery.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
If the dealership mislead you, it seems like they should make it right, by swapping the car for one that is DCFC compatible.
Agreed.

I've been up there and they only tell me I should have known before I bought the vehicle
Take the matter up with GM's customer service/care, whatever they call themselves. They may be able to find you a trade solution, possibly with another dealer. I think they understand that they do have some crappy dealers that aren't very savvy on the Bolt and could have easily misled you.

It may go nowhere, but it's worth a call.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It will undoubtedly be a "he said", "he said" argument which you will not win. Sailfast makes some good points, though. Enterprise Car Rental (the "green" company) has some great week-rental rates.

My wife was concerned before I bought the Bolt that we would have to rent to go to the beach (once per year), so I checked out Enterprise and offered to pay that rental myself, if needed. Turns out she loves the Bolt & thinks 70 mph is too fast to drive anyway. Heading east (toward sand, surf, and sun), we can easily get that first 226 mile leg done with range to spare. From there, we find a DCFC nearly every 30 miles to Hampton Roads & Virginia Beach or the OBX. Or head further south to Raleigh/Durham and on to all the lower NC beaches. {But it is still once a year!} 95% of my driving is within 75 miles and my Level 2 home EVSE (Siemens VersiCharge) meets all those charging needs.

Who knows? Maybe the 2019 Chevy Bolt EV will be so advanced we all will be induced to sell and buy anew!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
So when I purchased my bolt the dealership told me it was Level 3 charging compatible, unfortunately it's not. Is there anyway to upgrade or maybe install anything on the vehicle to take level three?
:eek:How long have you had your Bolt? Can't speak for your situation, but most Bolt owners will utilize home Level 2 charging most of the time. Your Bolt should have been heavily discounted without the DCFC option, I hope you got a good deal. Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
:eek:How long have you had your Bolt? Can't speak for your situation, but most Bolt owners will utilize home Level 2 charging most of the time. Your Bolt should have been heavily discounted without the DCFC option, I hope you got a good deal. Good luck.
The DCFC charging option costs $700.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the great responses. The dealership pretty much just told me I was out of luck but that they would conduct training on salesmen in regards to features of the electric vehicle

·
Registered
195 Posts
The DCFC charging option costs $700.
:)DCFC option is $750. Well worth the price over the life of ownership, and especially the life of the vehicle. As consumers, we're ultimately responsible for our purchase decisions. I spent five months gaining Bolt knowledge while I waited for a good lease deal. The solid owner feedback made my decision easy and unregretful. Based on my previous EV experience, I could live without DCFC if I received a significant discount.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thank you all for the great responses. The dealership pretty much just told me I was out of luck but that they would conduct training on salesmen in regards to features of the electric vehicle
If they told you that, they basically told you that you were mislead. They didn't train their salesman and you were told wrong information. If it was me at this point I would bring this up to BBB. You actually might have some solid legal action against the dealership and Chevy for the companies not knowing their product.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
If OP has correspondence where a dealership employee stated the Bolt had DCFC/fast charging, I'd contact a Chevy/GM rep (big Chevy) and bring up the issue and present that evidence.

AND if the dealership won't do anything to rectify the situation (again, assuming you have written proof), tell them you are giving all 1's on the customer satisfaction survey you will be getting.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If enough people wanted to get together about dealerships not knowing their product, this would be a lawsuit that a law company would love to take on against Chevy. Chevy is selling a product that didn't properly train their employees. Probably half the salesman who sell a Bolt think it is a Volt... If it was me I would explore all avenues and I would go the legal route. All you need to do is allow me to question your salesman about the Bolt in front of a jury ;) He might tell them that you need to bring in your Bolt for an oil change every 3000 miles

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I wonder what the thinking behind manufacturing some Bolts without fast charging is/was. This obliterates half of the "long-range EV" credentials in one clean, elegant move.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
right, but no one wants to buy one without it, so it would be harder for a dealer to sell it. therefore, heavily discounted.
I don't think it is as dire as that. There are likely loads of people like me out there that have no intentions of going road tripping in a Bolt and really have little to no use for DCFC. Having said that, I admit that I did buy my Bolt with it "just in case", but I have not used it yet and not sure I ever will. I have only used a public charger once and it was a pretty lame L2 charger, but did the job OK.

Just as there are still plenty of buyers for the Nissan Leaf, there are buyers for a Bolt with no DCFC.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts