Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week while out running errands, Bolt fully charged, I noticed after my first stop that I had no response from the main display panel. I was at the radio display when this occurred. Hitting the physical home button did not return me to home. All touch capability was gone. I could turn on the fan physically but the screen did not update accordingly. The clock was fixed at the time it stopped responding. It was getting late but I whipped by the service center of my dealership to try to have it checked out. They had not seen this and best they could offer was to schedule time to leave the car so they could open a ticket with GM tech. The troubling part of this was that I could not power down the screen; still lit after hitting the power button to shut down.

I told the tech I'd call him Monday morning. When I went out to my car, lo and behold, screen was off and when I powered back up, the screen was responsive and behaving normally. It's been over a week now but the problem has not reoccurred. I've thought back at what I might have done, some series of display interaction that might have triggered it. The only other thing I did while driving at the time this was experienced was to try out sport mode, but I don't believe this to be relevant. That day I really only transitioned between the home and radio screens. Anyone else seen this behavior?

It might be good for a future version to have a physical way to reboot the main display screen that includes options to reboot with existing profile settings or a full reset to default, as if you have this problem, you don't want to leave the vehicle parked/locked with the display still lighting up the interior until you can get to a service center.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did you try pressing home and fast forward together and holding them pressed for ten seconds? That should reset it.

I use the gallery feature in slide show mode almost every time I get in the car. It is a pain to initiate (5 screen touches), but I like watching the slide show while I'm stopped at traffic signals. I discovered that if I power down the car and power it back up within two minutes, the slideshow continues without having to be restarted.

I have no idea what causes this two minute delay. Maybe in your situation, the screen will shut down after two minutes. I would probably try the reset operation before I waited that long.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Did you try pressing home and fast forward together and holding them pressed for ten seconds? That should reset it.

I use the gallery feature in slide show mode almost every time I get in the car. It is a pain to initiate (5 screen touches), but I like watching the slide show while I'm stopped at traffic signals. I discovered that if I power down the car and power it back up within two minutes, the slideshow continues without having to be restarted.

I have no idea what causes this two minute delay. Maybe in your situation, the screen will shut down after two minutes. I would probably try the reset operation before I waited that long.

Ed
The Bolt and most modern cars, have a timed relay built in to kill the power to all accessories and most systems after you shut it off to save the battery. It's designed to allow you to push the power off button, but then still be able to put windows up, or down, have lighting to help you see as you exit and walk away, listen to the radio for a bit longer, etc. It's also designed to save you if you leave the lights on, or something plugged into the power socket.

From the OP's post, we can now know that this relay also kills the entire display and infotainment system. This led to the reboot on start up. The good news is, this problem is software driven and therefore a much easier fix and also you can still drive the car with the display out. Can the Tesla Model 3 do this??

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Bolt and most modern cars, have a timed relay built in to kill the power to all accessories and most systems after you shut it off to save the battery. It's designed to allow you to push the power off button, but then still be able to put windows up, or down, have lighting to help you see as you exit and walk away, listen to the radio for a bit longer, etc. It's also designed to save you if you leave the lights on, or something plugged into the power socket.

From the OP's post, we can now know that this relay also kills the entire display and infotainment system. This led to the reboot on start up. The good news is, this problem is software driven and therefore a much easier fix and also you can still drive the car with the display out. Can the Tesla Model 3 do this??
This happened to me a few weeks ago. The display froze and didn't respond to anything. I tried turning the car on and off, which didn't reset it. I then parked the car, turned it off, went in to do some grocery shopping and when I returned it came up normally. My conclusion was that once away from the car, the center screen is powered off and like most computer systems, this initiates a reboot. One thing that concerned me, before I got it shut down, was it seemed very warm to the touch.
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes my display felt really warm too- which was the chief concern for me as a brand new owner- if it doesn't shut down and the battery is fully charged- I didn't lie the idea of something already very warm staying that way had I been force to park overnight and wait for service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happened once to me too. I speculated it coincided with plugging my phone into the USB, but I wasn't sure. Went away on its own same as yours.

In a separate troubleshooting event with OnStar, they had me hold the power button until the lights went out (maybe 10 seconds), then open the driver's side door for 30 seconds, to reboot the system. I assume the door thing was just to give the system time to reboot, but I would expect this would handle the screen freezing.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
...In a separate troubleshooting event with OnStar, they had me hold the power button until the lights went out (maybe 10 seconds), then open the driver's side door for 30 seconds, to reboot the system. I assume the door thing was just to give the system time to reboot, but I would expect this would handle the screen freezing.
The Volt works the same way...
To initiate a system reboot you need to power down via the ignition button, exit the vehicle via the driver door, close the door, move out of range of the RFID keyfob (10+ft) and wait 30 seconds or so before approaching and entering the vehicle again.

Over the three years I owned the Volt- I had to perform this procedure a few times when she refused to start a charging session. The good thing is... the reboot worked every time.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^ the computer is the car....:p

The bad news is, computers run on software written by humans who make mistakes.
The good news is... it's all code...It can be updated!

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)I know others have reported issues with the main display. I've had my Bolt one month this week. Twice in the past week, while driving, the main display will black out, but the radio volume and volume knob works fine. The first time, once I got home I tried to reset it by cutting my Bolt off and waiting a few minutes, Sill no luck. I checked it later that evening and everything was fine. Yesterday, the same issue, display working, radio on, and then I noticed display off, radio sound on. Knowing that I could reset it by pushing the "Home & FF" buttons for ten seconds, which reset the display and it was working OK. Have other experienced the same issue as I described?

·
Registered
624 Posts
i just had a similar problem last night - the display got stuck in the parking assist mode after i backed out of a parking space. i drove home ~20 miles on the freeway that way. radio buttons didn't work (either steering wheel or on the center console) and of course the screen was unresponsive, but the cameras kept up a live view. it worked fine this morning.

i hadn't seen this thread before, so i didn't know about the home+ff trick. i'll try that next time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today when I went to leave work I started the car and the screen wouldn't come on. Just black.
The car was running but all I saw in front of me was a circle going around with loading underneath it.
I backed out thinking it didn't like it under the carport but nope, no screen.
I pulled up and stopped and turned off the car and when I restarted- no screen so I started home.
I plugged in my phone so I could at least listen to music. By the time I had gone about a mile
the screen came on, in front of me I saw what I was listening to and the main screen was on the home page.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Today when I went to leave work I started the car and the screen wouldn't come on. Just black.
That sounds like a job for... Infotainment Reboot!

Hold down the "Home" and "Fast Forward" buttons for 10 seconds to reboot the infotainment system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Similar experience here: On startup, received a dash warning of charging door open. Exited vehicle; sure enough, charging door was ajar. Closed it, reentered car and noticed entertainment display was blank (not frozen). Decided to drive anyway.

After a mile or so, the display powered up. All systems appeared to be operating normally.

I'm a retired software type with experience in real-time systems programming. This seemed to me to be a system delay in powering up the entertainment display, probably due to the software misbehaving in the error handling routines for the charge door being ajar.

In the month I have had the vehicle, I have noticed multiple (but minor) inconsistencies in event handling by the software such as erroneously switching the state of the parking brake across engine re-starts. While I love this vehicle and am in awe of the Bolt engineering, software behavior like this is consistent with real-time (RT), interrupt-driven computer systems that are very early in their life cycle--meaning software interrupt handling, timing, and state issues (e.g., parking brake on/off) remain buggy.

Looking ahead, if the bugs continue across firmware updates--especially state issues--it will become a matter of concern for me. BTW, bugs like these mentioned could not have gone unnoticed in testing by the manufacturer. In the RT software business, this is not considered to be quality development, perhaps suggesting a need for additional experienced RT development talent.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looking ahead, if the bugs continue across firmware updates--especially state issues--it will become a matter of concern for me. BTW, bugs like these mentioned could not have gone unnoticed in testing by the manufacturer. In the RT software business, this is not considered to be quality development, perhaps suggesting a need for additional experienced RT development talent.
Sounds like you should apply at GM!
Thanks for the insights.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i just had a similar problem last night - the display got stuck in the parking assist mode after i backed out of a parking space. i drove home ~20 miles on the freeway that way. radio buttons didn't work (either steering wheel or on the center console) and of course the screen was unresponsive, but the cameras kept up a live view. it worked fine this morning.

i hadn't seen this thread before, so i didn't know about the home+ff trick. i'll try that next time.
i had this same issue when reversing, the backup camera turned on put in drive, but the backup camera stayed on and the display would not work. nor would the controls on steering wheel.

i even turned the car off and on, and would not fix. until i got home, parked the car, powered off and locked. came back 3 minutes later, turned on the car and the screen rebooted.

i did not know about home + forward button reset, will try if it happens again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts