Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
The description sounds similar to the loose center wheel hub bolt which can be repaired by just tightening it to spec. Might want to get a second opinion. It might need the work you say but I've heard a lot more about loose wheel hub bolts than broken gearboxes.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the classic case of not exceeding your lease mileage limits. There is no way he had a lease that allowed 40,000 miles per year! Although this is not a common failure this is always a possibility in any vehicle. Lease costs always look so good but don’t ever exceed the mileage limit. I hope the motor gear box is covered for this guy but I do wonder if the commercial use of this vehicle will be an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm impressed that neither my Volt or Bolt have any interior squeaks or rattles either.
So glad to hear this. I was worried about that at first given all my friends and their tales of chevy interiors and also a squeaky drivers seat a few K miles after purchase (which just needed thorough lubrication).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m not suggesting that it never happens. I’m just saying that it’s so rare that you would be extremely naive and foolish to assume it is happening. There is definitely not a concerted effort by dealerships to deny warranty coverage as some people here have suggested.
I probably shouldn't reply to this but I can't resist.
Here is some of my background - there is a long line of mechanics in my family, my first job was as a mechanic. My father worked as a master mechanic for many auto dealerships on many different brands, finally retiring from a Toyota dealership around 1986. My brothers both worked for Mercedes dealerships. One of my uncles also owned a transmission shop. So I was getting my fingers greasy at a very young age.
I will tell you that, while my family are honest people and I trust them completely, word from them is "yes some dealers are known to cheat customers, not all, but some do".
With that out of the way, I have had very little interactions with dealerships mainly because I have always worked on my cars. That said, I have taken my cars to dealers for a couple mechanical issues now and then. Once was a 1985 Chevy S-10 recall for an exhaust manifold gasket leak. I took it to the dealer with recall letter in hand, the dealer looked at it and said it would be $XX amount of dollars. I couldn't believe this. I called my dad to clarify that I shouldn't be charged, his response "don't you give those $%^&*#@!'s a nickel, you tell them they have to repair in NO CHARGE!". So I told them, they said "oh yes, your right". If I wouldn't have questioned them, they would have charged me.
Another time was a botched repair by a Toyota dealer here in Marin county. They did a simple oil change and general inspection on my car and they knocked the brake sensor cable loose in the process. I drove the car home and noticed a clicking sound, called the dealer, they said bring it back, I did, they didn't find an issue. I drive away and still hear the noise, I take the car on a long work trip and on my way home all the brake trouble indicator lights go on. I am 500 miles from home. I do some assessing with my phone and youtube, figure its safe to drive, drive home and take the car in to the dealer to figure out what is wrong. The dealer says its the brake sensor cable and the cost for the repair was around $600. I take the car home and start assessing what is going on, after inspecting the car, I figure that somehow the sensor cable was knocked loose when they did the oil change and brake inspection, it was rubbing against the wheel causing the cable sheathing to wear out and short the cabling against the rim. I called my brother who worked at the Mercedes dealer and asked, does he think a brake sensor cable could be knocked loose during a brake inspection, his answer "sure". So I take the car back to the dealer and tell them what I find, they cop to it and do the repair, no charge.
Now, after that repair, I go to pick up my car and I notice there is a dent! I tell them that they some how damaged my car. They take it back, and start the repair on that. I call my other brother who works in the parts department at a dealer and ask if he has ever heard of that, he says "yes, it happens all the time, its called lot damage...".
Longer story cut short here for all of you sakes, but they had to take it back again for the crappy job they did on the body repair. Luckily for me, I know how to work on cars and have family members who are master mechanics who can help me when I get stuck with a question.
When I recently bought my used Bolt from the dealership in Sonoma county I was impressed with them in general and had the feeling I would trust them with working on the car. Luckily, there isn't much to do on these cars for maintenance, so hopefully I won't ever have to take it to them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to my 2017 Bolt. It was at the end of 2019 and I was at 58k miles. The dealer found it was rear strut. Had to be replaced. I had to talk to ‘experience manager’ and call Chevrolet and make a big stink about it. They ended up replacing under 60k powertrain warranty. I suspect you might have a harder time with it due to your mileage. All cars have suspension parts which wear out and if you compared to an ICE car with same use case you would be looking at even more maintenance such as brakes, engine, and etc. Thank you for driving an EV and helping us confront global warming. Rest assured when you fix the issues you will have a fully sorted vehicle. I would take it to another dealer and not mention you are ride-share driver. Best of luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2020 Slate Metallic Bolt LT
15 Posts
What kind of lease did you sign up for that makes you have to come up with $25 Large next year?

·
Registered
91 Posts
As for the main battery, they padded the degradation level to a point where I don't think they will ever see a claim beyond a cell going completely south.
I'm going to have to go ahead and differ on this point since the battery on my 2017 Bolt had to be entirely replaced (under warranty of course) and sub-sequent issues (related to the battery) lead to the entire car being repurchased by Chevrolet. So...Chevrolet has, and probably will, see a claim beyond a cell going completely south.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm going to have to go ahead and differ on this point since the battery on my 2017 Bolt had to be entirely replaced (under warranty of course) and sub-sequent issues (related to the battery) lead to the entire car being repurchased by Chevrolet. So...Chevrolet has, and probably will, see a claim beyond a cell going completely south.
Please tell us the history and usage pattern of you 2017 Bolt. Very interested as many of us are expecting to drive it for 10-20 years with minimal battery issues...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I too am headed that way with GM, my little Lemon car was obviously built on a Friday afternoon before a 4 day holiday weekend :(
most of these cars will go for years and years, but there are a few that were just not built right and/or built with the badly manufactured parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’ve had to fight with a dealership more than once to get warranty repairs covered, one time I needed to bring in the manufacturer’s rep to overrule the dealership. I’m sure that this was probably just bad luck on my part, but a dealer gets paid a lot more from a customer for a repair than they get reimbursed by the manufacturer.

As always, there are honest dealerships, and not-so-honest dealerships. Some will go to bat for a customer to assist in getting a warranty repair, and some will not.

For me, this is all past history. My ‘17 Bolt never went back to the dealership in three years for any repairs, warranty or otherwise. Most reliable car I’ve ever had. I now have a ‘20 Bolt, with any luck it will be as bullet-proof as the ‘17.
How many miles did you put on the 17 before you turned it back in?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I wasn't sure but will Chevy warranty a vehicle that has been used for commercial purposes, e.g. uber/lyft/taxi?
The last time I even heard about someone honest enough to stand at a service counter and say; Hey, my car broke but I didn't use it within the guidelines of the warranty, etc. I'll pay cash for that repair, thank you. Well, that person was portrayed in the movie the Ten Commandments.

And if you want proof without opening that can of worms. You don't have to leave this forum to find plenty who think breaking your own charge port by bending the pins because you are a gorilla and don't have a clue how to excercise 'due care' is warrantable. (And yes, I agree that they should cover it as a customer satisfaction thing ONCE per car, NOT under warranty). But my point is, bending the pins is not warrantable and yet you'd be surprised at how many people who are so buried under the self entitlement blanket don't understand that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wonder if the OP was actually a true/real problem.

No follow up responses. No update on the problem or repair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The last time I even heard about someone honest enough to stand at a service counter and say; Hey, my car broke but I didn't use it within the guidelines of the warranty, etc. I'll pay cash for that repair, thank you. Well, that person was portrayed in the movie the Ten Commandments.

And if you want proof without opening that can of worms. You don't have to leave this forum to find plenty who think breaking your own charge port by bending the pins because you are a gorilla and don't have a clue how to excercise 'due care' is warrantable. (And yes, I agree that they should cover it as a customer satisfaction thing ONCE per car, NOT under warranty). But my point is, bending the pins is not warrantable and yet you'd be surprised at how many people who are so buried under the self entitlement blanket don't understand that.
There are other scenarios like the possibility they take it in for service and forget to remove their Uber/Lyft decals.

Actually Steve Lehto had a good piece on this:
Will Ridesharing Void Your Warranty?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Please tell us the history and usage pattern of you 2017 Bolt. Very interested as many of us are expecting to drive it for 10-20 years with minimal battery issues...
I've provided quite a bit of detail in threads I had created on the topic of my battery issues. You can find the thread on the repurchase here: And a GM buy-back investigation for my Bolt has begun and the original post in that thread includes the link to the first post I put on this forum about the battery issues.

For context, I used my Bolt as a daily driver. 5 miles to work each way. I used it for slightly longer trips on the weekend. I charged it at most once per week and only ever up to the hilltop reserve.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts