Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
I'm glad he is OK. Should we be practicing "hijack drills": Parking brake on, take fob with you, run like h*ll... ?

·
Registered
771 Posts
From another story
As if the scenario weren't enough of an only-in-Texas scenario in an oil-rich state that loves its fossil fuels, a witness who saw the whole thing go down ran to aid the aggrieved vehicle owner while flailing a machete. Patrick — who may not have grasped the controls of the Bolt — clearly understood the business end of a machete and exited the vehicle himself.
~ https://patch.com/texas/cedar-park/accused-austin-carjacker-stymied-electric-car-quickly-arrested

·
Registered
85 Posts
Probably scared the thief too. Triple horn beep. Parking brake auto set. Rear seat reminder. Don't take eyes off road warning. Can't shift warning. What is this thing?
The guy coming up to help with a machete, may have been a big part of that too. lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
Funny! But scary for the owner, I'm sure...

I wonder if the car simply refused to start once the owner got out of the car with his fob...
"The incident happened at the intersection of Gynerium Drive and Tom Kemp Lane in a part of Austin that is in Williamson County, the affidavit said. The owner of a 2017 Chevy Bolt told police he had stopped at a stop sign"

Interesting. Did he put it in park? Even that unless you know the release buttin and even then understnd the shifter? If the car was running even with the fob out I think you can drive away. Be cool to find out exactly how it went down.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Interesting. Did he put it in park? Even that unless you know the release buttin and even then understnd the shifter? If the car was running even with the fob out I think you can drive away. Be cool to find out exactly how it went down.
I know when I check my mailbox, I leave the car in drive with my foot on the brake, undo my seatbelt, open door so I can reach my mail and the car will set the parking brake each and every time. Would be fitting if the guy didn't figure out all he had to do was hit the accelerator.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny! But scary for the owner, I'm sure...

I wonder if the car simply refused to start once the owner got out of the car with his fob...
"The incident happened at the intersection of Gynerium Drive and Tom Kemp Lane in a part of Austin that is in Williamson County, the affidavit said. The owner of a 2017 Chevy Bolt told police he had stopped at a stop sign"

If you open the door in D or L and the seatbelt unbuckled, the Bolt will automatically shift to P.

167 Posts
Again, another Bolt EV advantage! Common miscreants and neer'do'wells can't possibly understand the rudiments of driving what no lesser should drive--The Bolt EV! There's no end to the win win win! Its gettin' boring! And if there's anything we Bolt EV owners can't stand, it's an amateurish thief! Hang him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.