Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might not help many here, but Manning is showing as fault on the Greenlots app. I was heading to the coast this week and this was to be my "safety valve" charge.

The numbers say I can make it without that charger location, but it becomes a little close for comfort. Why can't Hope have DCFC? I have to look longingly at the Hope Superchargers when I pass by. >:)

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Thanks for the update. Chances are it will be fixed by the time I ever get out that way, but even so it's a useful data point to know that it does go offline at least some times.

And while this info probably won't help you on your upcoming trip, I have heard from someone with connections at BC Hydro that the existing CHAdeMO fast chargers in Hope, Merrit and Kamloops are supposed to be upgraded with CCS capability sometime soon, possibly by the spring. I really hope that turns out to be more than just a rumour.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bookkeeping post, mostly for my own documentation but also other rookies in BC winter mountain travel.

Penticton to Surrey BC over the Crowsnest Hwy. Opportunity charged at DCFC stations available (Keremeos, Princeton and L2 Hope). Arrived Surrey at GOM of 40km range and a loss of approximately 1200'.

380km and 78kw used for about 21kwh/100km average or approximately 25% penalty on the EPA range. OAT at freezing, minimal heater use and with winter tires. Trip is completely doable (as expected) but it highlights a- the range of the Bolt is 'just enough' to keep charging/road time in balance b- DCFC charging infrastructure improvements can't come soon enough.

ymmv

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
OT, but I honestly thought you folks were talking about Peyton Manning. For a moment, I was wondering why he went to the CFL.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ lol... I didn't have a clue either! :eek:

Riverhead offline FWIW!

Translation: The ChargePoint Station at the Supreme Court Building in Riverhead, NY is still out of service (since June 2017!).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow on return trip report for BC people (and NFL fans. lol).

Roads were more slick than the way down, with plenty of compact and slushy/slippery sections. Average temp was about -2. Used heater in bursts but sometimes forgot thing was set to "auto".

Left Hope with 80% charge, got to Manning (now operational but flakey with many connection errors before I figured out to jiggle the cord to get it to seat properly) with 49% and charged to ~75% over the course of a hour. Apparently one can't open the trunk while L3 charging, at least not that day.

Quick top up in Princeton at L2 for a coffee/stretch break, perhaps 30mins. Got home with 25% charge.

.... final thoughts for this first timer over the passes in an EV: I had a great trip, car worked great on the highway and the relatively few charging stations on the route were operational and vacant and within the (winter time reduced) Bolt EPA range. My quick math says to count on 80kwh used for that journey, but the usual suspects of heater use and average speed will vary that.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Follow on return trip report for BC people (and NFL fans. lol).
Thanks for the follow-up!

Just yesterday I did a test trip from my home in Vancouver to Hope and back again to see if I could do it without charging. I made it back with 30km of range left. That was driving on the south side of the Fraser to Hope, but avoiding the freeway as much as possible - and then driving back on the Lougheed. I preconditioned the car and then used the heater for almost the entire trip.

Left Hope with 80% charge, got to Manning (now operational but flakey with many connection errors before I figured out to jiggle the cord to get it to seat properly) with 49% and charged to ~75% over the course of a hour. Apparently one can't open the trunk while L3 charging, at least not that day.
Did you charge in Hope, or did you just happen to have 80% when you got there? I'd think that a top-up charge at the DCFC in Chilliwack would be more effective than waiting for an L2 charger in Hope. (I sure hope they get the Hope DCFC upgraded with a CCS plug soon!!!)

Quick top up in Princeton at L2 for a coffee/stretch break, perhaps 30mins. Got home with 25% charge.
Do you think you could have made it to Princeton without having charged at Manning Park? That would be my "Plan B".

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the follow-up!

Just yesterday I did a test trip from my home in Vancouver to Hope and back again to see if I could do it without charging. I made it back with 30km of range left. That was driving on the south side of the Fraser to Hope, but avoiding the freeway as much as possible - and then driving back on the Lougheed. I preconditioned the car and then used the heater for almost the entire trip.

Did you charge in Hope, or did you just happen to have 80% when you got there? I'd think that a top-up charge at the DCFC in Chilliwack would be more effective than waiting for an L2 charger in Hope. (I sure hope they get the Hope DCFC upgraded with a CCS plug soon!!!)

Do you think you could have made it to Princeton without having charged at Manning Park? That would be my "Plan B".

That would be about what I would expect too Sean ... about 4hrs of driving to a battery charge.

I charged in Hope across from the Moose, partly for margin, partly for a meal. Yes, Hope is a major DCFC shortfall for the Interior. I pray more than one station gets put in, but I suspect they will 'just' dual head the exisiting location.

I would have been confident getting to Princeton (aka traveling ~130km east of Hope) with my 80% soc, but I felt better knowing I could/would top up along the way. When I traveled west, I did in fact by-pass MP after getting something like 80% soc in Princeton.

For my planning, I made the deltas of the dcfc stations, much like your map elsewhere here on these forums and calculated
The soc needed at each leg. That relieved the anxiety.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts