Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Manually command battery heater to turn on?

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  gpsman 
#1 ·
Hi, I've been doing some googling and research. I have the Bolt technical manual and actually spent a lot of time here before posting this.

Is there a manual command you can send via OBD or otherwise that turns on the battery heater? If we could do some version of en-route warmup it would greatly increase fast charger usability. I'm not planning on messing with commands while driving, but the topic greatly interests me.

#2 ·
Unfortunately, no. Sure would be nice, though.
Edit: I don't think any EV will do this. I think Tesla will do it automatically if it "knows" you're going to a supercharger, but I don't think you can do it manually.
The Bolt's battery heater will come on (if it's cold) when the car is plugged in, even if it's fully charged. That doesn't help when you're driving, though.

#6 ·
Correct, the Tesla's and Taycan will only do it when the charging stop is scheduled through navigation. I doubt that it would ever be manual unless it was a general "conditioning" feature since I think cooling may also be needed in certain climates, but I'm just guessing on that.

#3 ·
Assuming there's relays that could be powered to manually initiate the circulation pump and heater. Intercepting the temperature sensor output to fake the system into doing its own conditioning might be too difficult. Would assume there's multiple sensors that are imbedded inside the battery. Would be interesting if there's a bit that could be flipped via the OBDII to initiate conditioning. Although, reading info about the guy who got openpilot to work on the Bolt mentioned that the OBDII on the Bolt has cyber security that prevented that pathway. edit: But maybe a giraffe board on another can bus line might work like he did on the forward camera.

#4 ·
I'm sure some enterprising individual could write some kind of "hack" that could be used to turn on the Bolt's battery heater (similar to how someone was able to create an app where 2011/2012 Volts could turn on "hold mode" the 2013's and beyond had) on demand. But so far, no one has done it.

#5 ·
I thought the GM engineer's designed the Bolt to be idiot proof, and that it would take care of itself ... manage itself. If we the operators, especially the dumb ones and there are plenty get control of the subsystems ...... that sounds really bad. And you guys do know, that the dumb ones, don't know they are the dumb ones. We know who you are, from these posts, but that's as far as it goes.

#7 ·
In my 2005 hybrid of a different brand with NiMH cells, in sub freezing weather the car was programmed to do cycles of regen and battery boost every few seconds, over and over, in the background while you were driving until the internal battery temp got above 40'F. Maybe 50'F. I forget. But pretty clever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.