Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,961 Posts
In this interview with Mark Reuss, he talks about GM's mistakes/mindset when the Bolt was introduced and also comments on the "loyal, passionate Bolt community - almost Corvette-like". Long interview; skip to about 57:00 for the Bolt section.
"I go to the site a lot, the Bolt EV and EUV owners site. And they have pictures of the Bolt being transported from Orion to the dealerships, and then they go to the dealership and they want to buy the new car."

Hi Mark! (waves hello...) :)

·
Administrator
3,977 Posts
In this interview with Mark Reuss, he talks about GM's mistakes/mindset when the Bolt was introduced and also comments on the "loyal, passionate Bolt community - almost Corvette-like". Long interview; skip to about 57:00 for the Bolt section.
Thanks Ward, that was actually worth listening to the entire hour. He covered a lot of interesting stuff and clearly shows excitement about where GM is headed with EVs.

·
Registered
129 Posts

It's a little unclear how much of the condescending attitude towards the Bolt is coming from Barra and how much of it is coming from the interviewer, but the Bolt is essentially dismissed as a "compromised" design which was well-intentioned but proved disappointing. (The New York Times does have a paywall but any javascript blocker will allow you to get around it.)
Journalists used to be storytellers---"the news". Most are now advocates who feel it is more important to convince others of their views than convey information. Poor journalism on the part of the NYT!

·
Administrator
3,977 Posts
"I go to the site a lot, the Bolt EV and EUV owners site. And they have pictures of the Bolt being transported from Orion to the dealerships, and then they go to the dealership and they want to buy the new car."

Hi Mark! (waves hello...) :)
I suspect he was referring to the Facebook group by that name, but I do know there are GM folks lurking here too.

BTW, the FB group is only slightly larger than this site (17.5K vs 14K). And we have a lot of crossover between sites.

·
Registered
583 Posts
GM got it right with the Bolt.
What it got wrong was having LG build the battery.
So now GM gets all the media heat for LG's mistakes.

What they should do is continue Bolt production and make the Bolt battery themselves.
The Bolt is still the best value out there in an E-car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 19. With the new pack installed, I have no issues. It does what its supposed to do. No vehicle fits me since I have a very bad back, except the RAV4 SE 2016. The tires are shitty-slippery so I will change them when its time, BUT it works. It get good range considering the year of manufacturing and the technology. The price was right and I'll be keeping mine.

I will not purchase a TESLA as much as I love the early roadster. That said, the infrastructure needs to be built to handle ALL THE VEHICLES hitting the road. Come on people, that's a real issue to be resolved NOW!

Oh well another glass of Makers 46 and my wife besides me, I'm happy.

Plug and go1

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
There seems to be a prevailing opinion that Ford is "ahead" of GM with the F-150. But as I understand it the electric F-150 is based on the ICE platform, it's not a ground-up EV design like GM's Ultium vehicles will be. So it seems a bit misleading to me to cite the F-150 as an example of Ford's "lead"....

·
Registered
271 Posts
There seems to be a prevailing opinion that Ford is "ahead" of GM with the F-150. But as I understand it the electric F-150 is based on the ICE platform, it's not a ground-up EV design like GM's Ultium vehicles will be. So it seems a bit misleading to me to cite the F-150 as an example of Ford's "lead"....
Doesn't really matter if Ford is ahead or not at this point since offer can't keep up with demand, all 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric are already sold out. You can't make money on something you can't sell.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,066 Posts
I'm in for the ride again. Just bought some GM shares this morning.
Got in for $35-$36, eh. Nice dip, a 52 week low.

If GM had reinstated a dividend like Ford did and if the $USD hadn’t strengthened like it has done lately, I would have seen fit to jump in as well.

What a shame the Bolt didn’t get the dedication it deserved. Could have provided great protection for GM in North America on the lower end against what Asian manufacturers are currently doing and against the cheaper EV’s that Volkswagen and Tesla are supposedly coming out with.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,628 Posts
What a shame the Bolt didn’t get the dedication it deserved. Could have provided great protection for GM in North America on the lower end against what Asian manufacturers are currently doing and against the cheaper EV’s that Volkswagen and Tesla are supposedly coming out with.
It's a tough problem with the accelerated rate of progress in EV development. If GM had gone all in with the Bolt's now close to 10 year old tech, they;d be way behind the curve. You can see it now with the continued complaints of slow charging speeds. Even the ID.4, which was released last year, has US owner complaining bitterly about the lack of OTA updates so far.

Also the Bolt simply isn't the best market segment to make a big push.

Let's see if they get it right mating the Ultium platform, which is more up to date, and more flexible, with skins like the Equinox, which is smack dab in the hot medium-sized CUV/SUV segment. If they come in in the low/mid $30K MSRP as they've been touting, that's a market they could grow to be huge in the US.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

What they should do is continue Bolt production and make the Bolt battery themselves.
For true. The continued dissing of the Bolt here, claiming all this game-changing new tech will be upon us any day now echos back to 2017. The conventional wisdom here was it was dumb to buy a 2017 Bolt because before the end of a three-year-lease it would be obsolete. Well, guess what? Early 2020, the guy who said that had his 2017 lease run out, didn't like the buy-out terms, went looking for that newer, better EV and it wasn't there at any price he could afford. Now, nearly mid-way through 2022 and there's still nothing as good as affordable and he's wishing he had his Bolt back.

jack vines

·
Administrator
3,977 Posts

GM didn't (and probably still doesn't) have the expertise to manufacture batteries, they formed a strategic partnership with LG so that they incorporated a proven manufacturer. Sure, things went awry due to some manufacturing process issues, but then it may have been insignificant had LG not lost so much talent to SKI right around the time of the 2019 model year production cycle. Add to this the surely low moral at the Korean factory knowing production was moving to the US plant in Holland, MI and it was kind of a perfect storm for the fiasco.

The defect rate on 2017-2018 and 2020-2022 may have remained so low as to not draw attention to what might have been an extremely rare occurrence of both manufacturing defects. While Bolt owners would not have had to face the uncertainty of the recall, we might still be driving around with the original batteries. Today I was marveling at the 285 mile guesstimate on my GOM, at 85% SOC. I rarely got that high with the original battery.

I look at strategic partnerships as a form of insurance. A company without core competencies in new technologies benefits greatly by partnering with a proven expert in the field. All of the growing pains are avoided as expertise increases in the OEMs organization. It could be that several years down the road, GM will either acquire a battery manufacturer, or start shifting to more in house work on batteries.

As it turned out, LG is footing the bill for most of the recall costs. So the strategic partnership amounted to an insurance policy that paid off handsomely for GM. In return, GM wisely didn't belittle their strategic partner and took a lot of the heat, that is called integrity. GM and LG are in a win/win partnership. Neither wins if one loses.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,628 Posts
Huge market...for huge vehicles...huge mistake. We could just use all the raw materials, and parts, to build one huge vehicle, to cover the entire country. That would protect us from climate change. :unsure:
Most average people are not going to buy vehicles for climate change. They are going to buy vehicles for value and convenience. The first time I test rode a Bolt, my wife wouldn't set foot in it because it was "too small". It took 4 years to convince her to agree to drive one if I bought it. Note that her daily driver is an ID4, which is right in the middle of the market of which I referred to.

There are a lot more soccer moms and dads than there are savers of the planet. In my estimation it's still better to get them on the EV side, even at lower efficiency, than not to switch at all.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,196 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts

Looking at the Lyriq Pack, I really don't see why GM cannot just remove the pack BMS and put Ultium Modules to make the Bolt pack...

21 - 40 of 86 Posts