Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m on my way! As I type, I’m at my second of seven charging stops.

Ecoregion Map Nature World Biome

So far, so good. Sitting here in Bedford PA at a Sheetz with Electrify America service. There’s an ID.4 sitting next to me. It is a chilly 33°F and breezy. Keeping the heat on 66° and the seat heater on low, I’m comfortable and I arrived at the first two stations at exactly the SOC that ABRP predicted.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Sky

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,600 Posts
I too am impressed that you are doing it.
I'm sure your Bolt is up to it. Bring your winter survival gear....

Me? I am waiting for the new pack before I, 'Head Out on the Highway. Looking for adventure'.
How about this display from my old Bolt!? After a 100% charge for a weekend overnight road trip! (Don't tell gm.)
I realize that having the heat on and not moving makes the GOM pessimistic.
Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Gadget Font

How does yours compare?

edit: Looked at your blog. Unreal mi/kWh numbers.. What's the deal? Original tires?
How can mine hover around 3mi/kWh, or less, at those speeds?
btw: that bmw needed a nastygram under the wiper. :confused:

Reactions: Maritime

·
Registered
241 Posts
It is a chilly 33°F and breezy. Keeping the heat on 66° and the seat heater on low, I’m comfortable and I arrived at the first two stations at exactly the SOC that ABRP predicted.
I am curious of what miles per kwh you are getting and what your highway speeds are.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Me? I am waiting for the new pack before I, 'Head Out on the Highway. Looking for adventure'.
How about this display from my old Bolt!? After a 100% charge for a weekend overnight road trip! (Don't tell gm.)
View attachment 38926

How does yours compare?

edit: Looked at your blog. Unreal mi/kWh numbers.. What's the deal? Original tires?
How can mine hover around 3mi/kWh, or less, at those speeds?
btw: that bmw needed a nastygram under the wiper. :confused:
Link to the Blog???? I'd like to read.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,600 Posts
Link to the Blog???? I'd like to read.
Sorry, I screwed up and looked a bro1999's blog and was commenting on his recent post.
His link is in his signature.

Reactions: Maritime

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier, 2020 Bolt Premier
197 Posts
We've gone from Charlotte (near Lansing), MI to Annapolis and back four times in our 2020. We all but once stayed off the toll roads as they are crazy expensive and the lower speeds increase range.

We only stopped 4 times each way to charge, but had to be careful on the last leg home since it was planned as starting out at 100% charge. These were our stops....

5231 Detroit Rd, Sheffield, Ohio, 44054
1329 Freedom Rd, Cranberry Township, PA
4354 Business 220, Bedford, PA
3200 North Ridge Rd, Ellicott City, MD

Our trip is shorter than yours (660ish) since you are going farther north, we also tend to charge more than needed on our stops to give us more margin if something goes wrong. I doubt we'll be able to make it with just these stops on our next trip in December, unless we want to drive slow and freeze.

Those heavy EA charging cables sometimes need some support for the car to properly lock them into place, otherwise the charge session will fail to start.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

View attachment 38926

How does yours compare?
I charged to 100% at home last night for the first time in a while. I believe the GOM had about 208 miles on it, but that was with local driving stats. Getting 3.0 now, and just 90-115. miles between charges.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m at the one ChargePoint unit that I’ll use during this trip… it’s also time-based and is going to be expensive.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

552 miles in so far.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Between charging free at work and how cheap it is to charge at home I don't mind supporting the fast charging networks when we do need them. That isn't to say that they aren't expensive, but someone's got to pay for those chargers and they are very expensive.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Between charging free at work and how cheap it is to charge at home I don't mind supporting the fast charging networks when we do need them. That isn't to say that they aren't expensive, but someone's got to pay for those chargers and they are very expensive.
I expect public charging to cost more than home, but for one charger to cost 3x the rate per kWh than the next one is kind of rough.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I expect public charging to cost more than home, but for one charger to cost 3x the rate per kWh than the next one is kind of rough.
In some cases the local business owner is setting the rate, I think that is the case with a large number of Charge Point chargers. It is extreme, but if it's the only option in the area then it's better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts