Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the highest charge rate you've personally observed your Bolt charging at during a DCFC session? Most I've ever seen on the dash is 46 kW. I think that may be the highest rate we can observe on current existing DCFC stations?

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Have you plugged in an OBDII reader during a charge session and observed what the amperage and voltage is during the session? Especially when the car starts to taper? At a certain pack voltage, the car has to throttle down the amps being drawn to avoid frying the battery.

If you are seeing 46 kW being drawn from a 125A station, that means that the pack voltage is around 368 volts, assuming the station is delivering the max amps available. Also, if the pack voltage is 368 Volts, then the pack is around 59% SOC. I believe 60% is one of the taper points, so at that point you would see amperage drop, and you'll never exceed 46 kW.

When car is at 10% SOC, pack voltage is at ~332 volts, which means the max that the car can pull is ~42 kW.

To get over 46 kW, you really need a charging station that can supply more than 125A.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
And further reading on another Bolt forum shows that you know all this already. I'll just go back to my corner now...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts