Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this post on twitter, seems someone got their Bolt to read a max miles of 324. The poster wrote: "It required a lot of hyper-miling but I finally got the max miles on the bolt up over 300"

This was posted by user: Supra1086

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Lol, it has begun. The contest to see how can get the most mileage out of their Bolt. I'm expecting the champion to be from a place with gentle declines for hyper milling.

·
Registered
979 Posts
No fair ! He/she probably started out several miles north of San Bernadino heading north-east to the summit on I-15. Where they then recharged, pumped up the tires, waited for strong southwesterlies and headed out downhill towards Nevada.

To beat that I’ll have to take my Bolt out to the Rockies in western Canada.

·
Registered
786 Posts
This was expected because GM always under promised and over delivered EV range since the Gen 1 Volt in 2010. All of the GM EVs (Gen 2 Volt, Spark EV, and Cadillac ELR) have given their owners more range than published by GM for the EPA ratings. It all depends how the owners drive their EVs, just as with gas engine cars and their published MPG. My own example was my 1995 Buick Regal Limited sedan, which had a EPA rating of under 18 MPG, yet I managed over 23 MPG many times (a 30% improvement), even after 21 years of ownership. Getting better EV range is easier than getting better MPG. If I had a Chevy Bolt EV I can get over 300 miles of EV range, too.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol we should have a thread with a top 10 chart. Whoever can post the higher number moves up and takes the next persons spot ;)

Clear off your weekends friends...it's about to get real !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Lol we should have a thread with a top 10 chart. Whoever can post the higher number moves up and takes the next persons spot ;)

Clear off your weekends friends...it's about to get real !
Heh. I think it has as much do with driving conditions and weather than the actual driving of the car itself. I see Max 300+ range on my vehicle regularly after full charge once I get home from work along a certain route without hypermiling. On days with lots of traffic coming home, it could be even more. Take a different route and it would be 250s or less. On cold days when using climate settings, it would be lucky to break 220.

Maybe taking it to Big Bear and back all the way downhill then fully charge could probably break 350 Max.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm guessing big bear is like a mountain with a long decline. Summer is coming and people will start going on road trips more so we should see higher and higher max miles, especially with summer tires.

Do you plan to go to Big Bear?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes. It's a mountain with a long decline (probably about 20-30 minutes).

I don't plan on going anytime during the winter months. We have a big storm hitting SoCal. Today's weather report calls for 1.5 ft of snow with possible 70-90 MPH gusts on some part of the mountains and foothills. Maybe I'll make it up sometime during the summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have pictures but I saw around 335/286/235 last Saturday morning just after a full overnight charge. I was surprised.

However the maximum range decreased to 235 miles this Monday morning. That made me wonder. What happened?

This is my explanation

During the weekdays my daily commute/kids pickup is around 35 miles. This is mostly on city streets and a 4 mile stretch on
freeway. I never turn on the climate control. Sometimes I switch on the fan but most of the cold mornings I use the seat/steering
heater. Pre-condition the climate of the car while plugged in to the wall using Remote start helps a lot. L mode is what I drive
the Bolt EV. The average I get is about 4.5-4.8 miles/kwH.

But last Sunday it was really cold in the SF Bay Area. Sunday evening I did a 40 mile roundtrip with a full load of 5 people
and climate control @ 72 degrees. This reduced the average to about 3.0 miles/kwH.

So the prediction you get after a full charge is based on your previous driving habit. If you are at a constant 4+ miles/kwH then
you can see 284 miles range after a couple of days.

This morning (Tuesday) I am back to my weekday schedule. I am getting about 4.5miles/kwH. The range it showed today was 244 miles.

I think it is all about data mining algorithm in the Bolt EV.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
As the younger generation would say it... you're "stunting" on them :|;)

I feel like this thread can progress and get quite competitive >:)
Wait till June when the kids and wife are in Cali for 2 weeks...I'll have the Bolt all to myself and will be able to push how close to 400 I can get. ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
As the younger generation would say it... you're "stunting" on them :|;)

I feel like this thread can progress and get quite competitive >:)
I hope it gets competitive - but all in good fun though. When I finally get mine, I plan to see how far I can push mine as well. Let's be honest - we all will!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For sure, it's one of those fun challenges where when you see someone else get a higher number, it motivates you to get out there and try harder lol. Once we have enough members attempting record highs, we'll create a top ten list !

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Hmmm, maybe the top ten list should be miles actually travelled and not what the guess-o-meter reports?
Yeah, actual miles traveled on a single charge should be the mark to shoot for, not estimated range.

I could coast down a mountain and end up with a 400 mile estimated range number if I wanted to.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts