Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you know, aside from poor aero there's no reason an EV shouldn't go as fast in reverse as it does going forward. Has anyone explored the limits running in reverse? Today I tried in the company parking lot, got up the about 40kph with a quick stab of the accelerator near the end. Went strong with no sign of stopping me from going faster. I need to find quite literally an empty stretch of road because I don't think even the biggest parking lot around me can contain the Bolt going full tilt in reverse!

Has anyone else tried?

Edit: forgot to mention that the ROD paddle doesn't work in reverse ��

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'd be really hesitant to go faster than that in reverse because your directional control is really, really unstable when going backwards. I guess if you had a big enough empty parking lot it couldn't hurt because the Bolt is pretty unlikely to tip over in a hard turn, but on a road I'd worry about going off the edge if the steering got away from me.

But I'd still be interested in hearing how fast you could go... (^_^)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Unless it is software limited I suspect the top speed in reverse is the same as going forward, that would be 92 mph (148 kph). I mean it uses the same exact gear in reverse as it does going forward, just changes the drive direction.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Perhaps you can get some time on one of those dynamo thingys. I'm assuming the drive wheels are where speed will be measured, though. If it measures speed at all wheels then averages them, dynamo's would not be a good test.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I experienced fast Reverse today as well.

500e is so ssllloooooowwww in R. Really, it barely moves in reverse. Software limited power and speed. I guess slow is safe.

Anyway, today I was backing up on a longer stretch, actually a curved road (about 200 yards/meters long). I started going normally, then, at some point I pushed it a bit more and to my surprise I felt power coming in and speed increasing.
I was at around 25 mph (40 km/h) and it seemed like wanted to go more.
I will test it today to see how fast this darn thing can go.

I remember 2002 Dodge Intrepid (2.7, V6 - so the "weak one")... this beast let me push reverse to 40-45 mph. Seemed like could get more, but that would be a bit too for me at that time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Doesn't go over that 25 mark........ yeah I tried it
Man, your Bolt must be broken then.
Or you did not push it right.
Or maybe you did not upshift.

See below....
My test. I tried to record it and held the phone in two fingers. Does not work well, but at least shows the whole story.
It all ended up fine, no problems at all, just steering is not so good when you have something else in your hand.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Man, your Bolt must be broken then.
Or you did not push it right.
Or maybe you did not upshift.

See below....
My test. I tried to record it and held the phone in two fingers. Does not work well, but at least shows the whole story.
It all ended up fine, no problems at all, just steering is not so good when you have something else in your hand.

But it did limit your speed to 37 mph. What's the fun in that!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also noticed hit like 125kw!
Yes, it pulls very strong. I kept the pedal all the way in (once I started rolling at about 5 mph) and the power drop was the electronically limited. I kept it depressed to the floor until I felt it stopped accelerating.
You can hit 40 mph if you floor it at about 28-32 mph, but then taps off to 37 anyway.

Stopping, though, is quite tricky. It takes a while... a looong while....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts