1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I don't know what assumptions were made to generate that graph, but considering Mazda has no EVs here, it wouldn't surprise me if they have biased data. That said, it makes sense to have the smallest sized battery that can reasonably accomplish the intended tasks. The extra expense and weight of a large battery that mostly doesn't get utilized is a waste... I tend to think 60 kWh is about the right size for a car like the Bolt. It will get you the distance you'd want to travel without stopping. The charging just needs to get quicker and more readily available.

All that said, I don't intend to road trip with an EV, but instead do local driving. a 40 kWh battery is probably right-sized for my intended use, so the standard range gen II Leaf would be appealing if battery longevity were good.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
One of many sites that has the details...

A chart.

I like that they used four year-old data (2016) for the European electricity production average mix, and assumed that the battery pack will need replacing after 100,000 miles (160.000 km). The electricity production mix changes (and improves) dramitically as more renewables have come on stream, and batteries last significantly longer than 100,000 miles, as actually demonstrated by high-mileage EVs.

Either of these invalid assumptions will skew their comparison in the direction Mazda wants: Against BEVs.

As I suspected, yet another bovine excrement "study", intended to sway the ignorant and credulous.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
There's a plethora of ways a battery is inferior to a fuel tank, so it always surprises me when there's a "study" showing EVs are more polluting. If you want to scare people away from EVs, simply point out the actual limitations of a battery. Better yet, just keep your mouth shut and focus on delivering what your brand does best based on the consumer segment you're targeting. What, is Mazda hurting for the 1% of sales they are missing and hope to convince them to burn petrol instead? They stand no chance of swaying a potential Tesla buyer to instead get a Mazda 3.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I guess I need to replace my 105,000 mile battery on my Model S even though it charges to 94% of its original capacity... This article is stupid and the comments are even more stupid. It shows you how many idiotic people have been influenced by big oil/auto's influence over the media to show that BEV's are worse for the environment. It is ridiculous to even try to educate these people, especially in the US. They think BEV's are attacking their freedom by pushing EV's and trying to take away their pickup trucks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The article is stupid and some of the responses like the one that compares rare elements to nuclear waste is beyond stupid. This is just red meat to the gas guzzlers. So Mazda will fall further behind the curve. With my Bolt I appreciate it not spewing chemicals into the local environment and costing me about 4 cents per mile.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Next up, Mazda coal fired car. ;)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
"...The company says its MX-30 crossover comes with a 35.5kWh battery because it’s “responsibly” sized"

Oh, okay... so reading between the lines... you couldn't figure how to cram anything larger then 35kWh in your POS plug-in hybrid turd with it's disappointing 110-120mi EV range.

Mazda also "tweaked" the electric motor torque DOWN to simulate a gas powered car" ?
0-60 in 9 sec... did you have to make it emulate a Prius? lol..... Can someone please send the poor "engineers" at Mazda $20 so they can buy a clue?

Next they'll tell us they have burned-in firmware that causes the battery to fail at 100K miles just like a gas car because we love that gas car experience soooo much too!

And they say Elon makes dumb comments....

Got anything else for us Mazda???? :mad:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
They did impressive things with the Sky-active technology. Then there's the I-Eloop brake energy recovery capacitor system, which makes the vehicle sort of a hybrid.. Perhaps they are still trying to recover the cost of that R&D?

I've got an MX-5 as a company car. It's a perfectly fine car, but a bit ho-hum and underpowered/unresponsive. The auto lift gate is a nice feature; one I didn't know I needed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Read Consumer Reports 2020 Buying Guide about the Bolt:

"Most people think that if they want an electric car with a 200 miles plus range they have to spend upward of $70,000. But the Chevy Bolt changed all that. The Bolt achieved a 250 mile cruising range in our tests with pricing starting at around $37,000. And the Bolt is fun to drive to boot."

·
Registered
243 Posts
With his underpowered/unresponsive comment, I suspect he really does have a MX-5. The late year ones run about 6.5 seconds from 0 to 60, and I /think/ Redpoint has a Tesla. Now a days a six second car isn't the powerful stunner it was fifteen years ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
"...The company says its MX-30 crossover comes with a 35.5kWh battery because it’s “responsibly” sized"

Oh, okay... so reading between the lines... you couldn't figure how to cram anything larger then 35kWh in your POS plug-in hybrid turd with it's disappointing 110-120mi EV range.

Mazda also "tweaked" the electric motor torque DOWN to simulate a gas powered car" ?
0-60 in 9 sec... did you have to make it emulate a Prius? lol..... Can someone please send the poor "engineers" at Mazda $20 so they can buy a clue?

Next they'll tell us they have burned-in firmware that causes the battery to fail at 100K miles just like a gas car because we love that gas car experience soooo much too!

And they say Elon makes dumb comments....

Got anything else for us Mazda???? :mad:
Agreed. This is complete idiocy. Pure BS. Also, the Bolt battery is going to last way longer, as it takes more miles do battery cycles, so I don't buy the "responsible" battery size thing either. Love how the Koch Bros type PR machine is getting so sophisticated (complete sarcasm intended).

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
With his underpowered/unresponsive comment, I suspect he really does have a MX-5. The late year ones run about 6.5 seconds from 0 to 60, and I /think/ Redpoint has a Tesla. Now a days a six second car isn't the powerful stunner it was fifteen years ago.
CX-5... I knew it didn't feel right when I typed it. Also indicative of my lack of interest considering the short list of vehicles I had to choose from. Don't construe this as complaining. It's a great vehicle, just not something I would purchase with my own money. 0-60 is somewhere around 8 seconds, with a few of those seconds just thinking about accelerating before doing it.

My Prius is eager to accelerate in comparison, even if it falls flat once it gets moving.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My wife has a 2016 Miata with the Skyactiv tech. It is definitely different from the 1999 Miata it replaces. Biggest difference is the tranny...the 99 was a manual, the 2016 automatic with paddle shifters. Left in auto, it pretty pedantic. But put it in manual mode and engage Sport mode and it comes alive. Drives like a dream. Best handling car.

But Mazda's statements about batteries and BEVs are stupid.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My third gen MX5 was slower 0-60 and slower in the 1/4 mile than my Bolt when it was stock... you don't have to have a Tesla to think the Miata is slow in a strait line :)

Keith

1 - 20 of 29 Posts