Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think they started this program in Sweden maybe? (first i heard of it anyway); So maybe they will implement the program in the US at some point.
It seems to be a great way to get a little more revenue in their pockets as EV adoption grows. Not the healthiest though :censored:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
It makes sense for McDonald's to lead in this area. Their stores are typically well located for travel chargers, and they have one of the highest profit margins in the food industry (about 20%). That means that each new customer they bring in adds significant value. It's also an ideal location for 100 kW to 150 kW chargers. Some customers would take food to go, sure, but many others will sit down and eat for 20 to 30 minutes before leaving.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have to believe (or am too optimistic) that they are simply using that as shorthand for "stand-alone location". As opposed to a location in a food court or other foot traffic only spot.
Yes, I don't think they described the location well. Eventually, maybe they'll have wireless charging in the drive though, but anything with a plug with be a parking spot.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I love to see that here. Food unhealthy? I think not. Eating too much is the problem. I don't see a man there sticking a gun to my temple to oversize.

During my road trips, I like stopping by MacDonald for an apple pie, a small coffee, and perhaps a fillet o'fish, and using their bathroom of course.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
The idea of fast chargers at McDonald's is excellent. The time to order and eat is pretty much an exact match with charging time requirements and there are enough long-distance traveling customers to support it. It helps both McDonalds and their customers, particularly when located near freeway exits. DCFC would make the most sense at travel plazas in general.

But the article as usual is shallow and devoid of elucidating details. They are installing them at "drive-thrus". Huh? People are going to go through the line with a cable dangling? Logically they will be installed in corner lot parking stalls under a lease and profit sharing agreement with InstaVolt.

I suspect the hapless media is being used for a political maneuver. Drive-thrus are under attack in emissions crackdowns. It could be that the DCFC get installed in the wrong places and virtue signal just long enough to get a drive-thru building permit approval. Hopefully I'm wrong about that, because we're ultimately going to need a whole lot of DCFC chargers in the right places.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
98 Posts
So Sweden, and now UK McDs... 'Murica next?

Maybe if this sort of thing changes the length of time people stay, they will enhance the menu and create a relaxing environment to cater to the EV drivers who will want a longer meal stop?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
But the article as usual is shallow and devoid of elucidating details. They are installing them at "drive-thrus". Huh? People are going to go through the line with a cable dangling?
I think that the term "drive-thrus" is code for "franchises with parking lots". There are lots of McDonalds locations in malls or minimalls that don't have a drivethru, nor their own dedicated parking.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think that the term "drive-thrus" is code for "franchises with parking lots". There are lots of McDonalds locations in malls or minimalls that don't have a drivethru, nor their own dedicated parking.
I can't fathom your nefarious tactics of redefining the term drive-thru, reinterpreting obvious wording to mean something else, and mind-reading the author. The article is unambiguously about drive-thrus, and in particular, new drive-thrus.

·
Registered
689 Posts
So Sweden, and now UK McDs... 'Murica next?

Maybe if this sort of thing changes the length of time people stay, they will enhance the menu and create a relaxing environment to cater to the EV drivers who will want a longer meal stop?
Nah, 'Murica will be last. McDonalds' are much more common here (practically one at every other highway exit!), and we're a much larger country. That's a lot more locations than in Europe. Combine that with aggressive EV uptake in Europe compared to lack-luster interest here. There just isn't the market in the US to make this profitable. At least not yet.

That said, there are a couple of Dunkin' Donuts locations (mostly in New England) with EVGo DCFCs. So there is the start of a trend.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can't fathom your nefarious tactics of redefining the term drive-thru, reinterpreting obvious wording to mean something else, and mind-reading the author. The article is unambiguously about drive-thrus, and in particular, new drive-thrus.
Having yet to see at least in this country, a MacD that was strictly a drive through with no indoor seating I wonder what you know that I do not. Nefarious is a pretty strong word for an innocent interpretation of drive thru. So please educate me, where are there Macdonalds that drive thru is all they have? It is much kinder to just offer proof then to rip someone.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sure RichardC, I will be glad to help since you may not live in an area with drive-thrus or with no drive-thrus. Any McDonalds where there exists a window with a queue for cars receiving orders is a drive-thru. Any McDonalds where there does not exist such a window is not a drive-thru. This is true even in the UK. A drive-thru commonly also has indoor service, but not necessarily so. Let me know if you need me to go into more detail. I understand we all need to be on the same page about what a drive-thru is before we can meaningfully discuss the article about new drive-thrus.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
You folks are all wrong. In this area, we used to have actual drive-thru convenience stores. You drove right through the middle, like a car wash, and picked up beer, cigarettes, and MoonPies right out your window. The last stop was the register. The real plus was getting to breath exhaust the whole time. This is not a joke. People actually did this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts