Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a 64G low-profile HP USB drive for music. I understand that the USB drive can't have more than 15 folders in the root directory. Mine now has 12, as I was forced to organize by artist, then create alphabetized sub-folders A, B, C, DandE, FandG etc.

After all that work, I still get the message "Media Indexing Limit Reached" every time I boot the car. Upon researching the issue on other threads here, I found that the Bolt has a file limit of 5,000 for the USB drive. Seriously? It's 2018! My rock collection is over 12,000 files, and swapping between three USB drives to hear the whole collection is ridiculous. I know that this is a first-world problem, but it's one of those little annoyances that detract from an otherwise great car. Anybody know of a work-around? Any suggestion that GM might "fix" it?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
GregBrew, have you considered just using another phone and android auto? I haven't hit 5000 songs yet, but I think AA should support it. Plus side you can make playlists and select them from AA as well. I personally use an Android App called MD Player cause I liked it offered a simple interface on both the phone and AA and included a 5-band equalizer so that audio coming from it would be corrected in finer amounts versus the 3-band equalizer in the Bolt.

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fortunately, My collection is under 10,000 files (Did delete some stuff I would never listen to in the car) Then I split it between 2 different USB sticks. At least then I don't have to physically swap drives just select the other stick from the menu as each drive can have 5000 files.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's a good idea - I didn't realize the file limit was per drive.

I prefer to use USB over Android Auto because I can select songs/albums from the dash without needing to look down at the infotainment screen.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I'm using a 64G low-profile HP USB drive for music. I understand that the USB drive can't have more than 15 folders in the root directory. Mine now has 12, as I was forced to organize by artist, then create alphabetized sub-folders A, B, C, DandE, FandG etc.
Just create a root-level folder called "Music" and then move everything else into it. That eliminates the restriction on the number of folders you can have (although it won't do anything about the absolute number of tracks).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.