Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Maybe you’d like to sit higher up or there just isn’t enough cargo space in the Bolt to justify a purchase. If that is the case, then Chevrolet may have just the thing for you, an all-electric crossover based on the Bolt EV.

Expected to arrive by 2020, General Motors CEO Mary Barra has revealed a rendering of what’s to come at the Barclays 2017 Global Automotive Conference in New York. Looking at the image, one may think it’s a toned down, production ready version of the FNR-X concept that debuted back in April at the Shanghai Auto Show.

On a document released just yesterday, Mary Barra outlined the company’s plans to reveal two new full-electric CUVs by 2020, one of which will be carrying a Buick Badge while the other will be released under Chevy. Unfortunately, without a visible badge on the rendering, we don’t know if this crossover is what Chevy fans will be getting.

What we do know for certain is the fact that it’s based on their existing EV platform, meaning we can expect to see a 60 kWh lithium-ion battery with a range of around 200 miles per charge. A shame the crossover won’t be released in 2021 instead, because GM plans to launch a new battery system that year and it may achieve their mission of delivering over 300 miles of range.

As for its powertrain, CarScoops thinks the Bolt’s motor could be carried over. If that is true, the new crossover may feature a 200 hp (150 kW) motor capable of delivering 266 lb-ft (360 Nm) of torque.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks Toyota-ish (nothing wrong with that just as long as it doesnt look like Prius). Im sure the final thing will have some tweaks in the styling....looking forward to it!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
As for its powertrain, CarScoops thinks the Bolt’s motor could be carried over. If that is true, the new crossover may feature a 200 hp (150 kW) motor capable of delivering 266 lb-ft (360 Nm) of torque.
That's disappointing. Released 4 years after the Bolt, and no significant improvement in powertrain? The car looks practical, but would apparently be heavier and more sluggish than my 2016 Bolt. If they upgraded the motor, I'd plan to buy one.

·
Super Moderator
2,552 Posts
Only question is is this the Buick Bolt, or a future Chevy CUV EV. My money is on the Buick Bolt.
I disagree. The design has more Chevrolet DNA in it than Buick. Buick has just worked out a new design language that seems to be received well in the market, so I doubt they will want to splinter off in a very new departure.

Here's what I wish Buick would stick a battery in-

But I guess I'm an outlier for sure on this one.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I disagree. The design has more Chevrolet DNA in it than Buick. Buick has just worked out a new design language that seems to be received well in the market, so I doubt they will want to splinter off in a very new departure.
Agree, to my eye it looks like a larger Bolt. Notice the tail light (looks same), the back overhang (looks same), side creases and so on.

All modern cars look so much the same due to aero/milage requirements I see little difference with any of them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's disappointing. Released 4 years after the Bolt, and no significant improvement in powertrain? The car looks practical, but would apparently be heavier and more sluggish than my 2016 Bolt. If they upgraded the motor, I'd plan to buy one.
A Bolt's powertrain components in an AWD platform would be.... more than adequate!

400 HP & 500 ft-lb would be - tempting...:D

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
Only question is is this the Buick Bolt, or a future Chevy CUV EV. My money is on the Buick Bolt.
It's totally a Buick.
Top: Buick Velite concept
Bottom: mystery EV CUV

how to post a picture in a forum online site

·
Registered
592 Posts
The concept car doesn't have side view mirrors which is still a DOT requirement.

The clincher for me is that the crossover has a rear overhang like the Bolt and unlike any Buick, they do it to improve aero.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

I saw the TourX up close at the NY auto show, it’s a very good looking wagon.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I hate the SUV look. I wish Americans would start buying station wagons again. Imagine the rear wheels, and rear bumper, of the Bolt pushed back two feet, with two foot side windows in the cargo area. We, and most of our friends, had Datsun 510 wagons back in the 70's, and 80's, when our kids were young. With an extra two feet between the wheels, they could fit a 75 kWh pack in there. It would be more aero than the Bolt, and way more aero than an SUV!

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's the EV I'm waiting for!

While a Bolt would be a good second car in our family, I need to replace the cargo volume and hopefully some of the weight capacity, of my now elderly first-generation Subaru Outback. Last week's cargo was 350 lbs of persimmons I picked and brought home 100 miles; earlier in the summer 400 lbs of apples. Both loads with personal luggage carried in addition. One trip this year was a hanging-basket patio chair (photo) that fit easily, I could have carried two. (photo2).

I need to replace that functionality for an EV to be our primary car.

Also - hopefully the battery will be flat on a longer wheelbase SUV version to allow a flat cargo space floor. Bolt floor: (photo3).

And just dreaming here - some towing capacity no matter how small would complete the ideal picture.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am still waiting for a small BEV pick up truck
If you cannot wait, you can get a used Chevy S-10 Electric (I have the Owner Manual) or a used Ford Ranger Electric, and swap the old lead-acid batteries for newer Lithium-Ion cells under the bed. Try the different web sites for used autos.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts