Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Receipt.jpg

An interesting thing happened to me on my recent trip. One of the chargers did not disengage properly and I was charged for many hours of charging and 179kWh's of power. My range on the next leg of trip was epic!

EA for their part made it right and refunded it.

But it got me thinking... particularly for chargers that charge by the kWh, how accurate are they? I mean there is no way that 179kWh was used since the plug was just resting in its cradle, not attached to the car. That implies that they might be determining the actual expenditure programmatically and while I'm not worried about EA programmatically lying (there is more than one irony here that is not lost on me), I am a little worried about perhaps smaller locations, for example, non ea ones, who's revenue might benefit doing so. Something akin to gas stations that pump 1 gallon of gas and reports 1.2 gallons for the sale. Alternatively, ones where the algorithm uses faulty inputs, in this case it seems time and kw being transferred was faulty. So while EA clearly believed me because they know I couldn't have used that much power... what if I called and made the same claim about 55kWh of power? Food for thought.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Interesting question. Most states have a testing and certification procedure for gas pumps, but none that know of for charging stations. But unlike gas stations, charging stations are part of a larger network and aren't owned by the site where they're located. So (hopefully) there's less chance for scamming. Hopefully. Also note that the kWh supplied is not what goes into the battery (due to resistive losses) so the kWh on the charger screen will usually be higher than the kWh gained by your battery.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
...I am a little worried about perhaps smaller locations, for example, non ea ones, who's revenue might benefit doing so. Something akin to gas stations that pump 1 gallon of gas and reports 1.2 gallons for the sale.
The volumes measured by gas pumps are verified on a periodic basis by the regulatory authorities - you can see the sticker on each pump which includes the date it was tested. I wonder if something analogous will happen for EV chargers?

It's only an issue for those stations that charge by the kWh rather than by time. But even for the former if you're aware of your starting and ending state of charge then you can at least check that the reported kWh seems reasonable.

·
1,863 Posts
Interesting question. Most states have a testing and certification procedure for gas pumps, but none that know of for charging stations. But unlike gas stations, charging stations are part of a larger network and aren't owned by the site where they're located. So (hopefully) there's less chance for scamming. Hopefully. Also note that the kWh supplied is not what goes into the battery (due to resistive losses) so the kWh on the charger screen will usually be higher than the kWh gained by your battery.
CA enacted some regulations about a year ago to do this. https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/dms/pdfs/regulations/EVSE-FinalText.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The volumes measured by gas pumps are verified on a periodic basis by the regulatory authorities - you can see the sticker on each pump which includes the date it was tested. I wonder if something analogous will happen for EV chargers?

It's only an issue for those stations that charge by the kWh rather than by time. But even for the former if you're aware of your starting and ending state of charge then you can at least check that the reported kWh seems reasonable.
That's sort of what I was thinking. As ev adoption increases so to will charging stations and I can see all manner of apartments, stores, etc with custom setups to avoid the larger network fees. I just wonder how my landlord when I was in college would have responded if I told him I was overcharged.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Did you see electrons spilled out all over the floor?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,134 Posts
Did you see electrons spilled out all over the floor?
My cousin worked customer support for SCE in the seventies. One particularly irate customer threatened to unscrew all of their light bulbs "so all of the electrons would leak all over the floor".

That'll get 'em!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
My cousin worked customer support for SCE in the seventies. One particularly irate customer threatened to unscrew all of their light bulbs "so all of the electrons would leak all over the floor".
When I was a wee tot I remember my mom taking me into Woolworth's in downtown Toronto - they had a display of different kinds of light bulbs screwed into a row of sockets at more or less my eye level - and one of the sockets was empty. "Where does the light come from", a curious kid wondered...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts