Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Costco and the guy orded following tires which is coming to $774 after $150 off
Energy Saver A/S OE GM *Selfseal technnology' 215/50R17 91H BSW.

He said these are special for GM and needed for Chevy bolt. Is it expensive because these are selfseaing/run flat tires? Do I need runflat because Chevy bolt does not have extra tire? Looks like they have other energy saver but may be not selfsealing and probably cheaper.

I don't mind keeping the order if it is worth it. Otherwise, I want to change if savings are good. I understand tires expensive for SUV but not $770 for small car. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
I went to Costco and the guy orded following tires which is coming to $774 after $150 off
Energy Saver A/S OE GM *Selfseal technnology' 215/50R17 91H BSW.

He said these are special for GM and needed for Chevy bolt. Is it expensive because these are selfseaing/run flat tires? Do I need runflat because Chevy bolt does not have extra tire? Looks like they have other energy saver but may be not selfsealing and probably cheaper.

I don't mind keeping the order if it is worth it. Otherwise, I want to change if savings are good. I understand tires expensive for SUV but not $770 for small car. Appreciate it.
It is not a run flat tire. It is (sometimes) self-sealing. If the self-sealing doesn't work, do not drive on it without air, you will destroy the tire, and possibly your rim.

They are available without the self-sealing glue layer inside for less. Nobody requires you to buy any tire. Lots of folks run other tires on their Bolts, and many carry a spare.

·
Registered
2021 LT Nightshade Grey
223 Posts
I haven’t had a summer to try those tires yet, but it is good to keep with ‘eco’ or fuel saver tires as that will help her your range in a good place. But you do not have to get the same tires.

Those Michelin tires are available without the self seal inside, that’s a personal choice if you want that or not. You can always grab a tire sealer and inflator kit which will do basically the same thing. You can get it at the dealer or get an aftermarket one. They do expire eventually. In Canada the inflator and sealant kit is standard on any car that doesn’t have a spare tire, including the bolt, so for my next tires I won’t be getting ones with the self sealer.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't trust the self sealing tires to work. I used the points for buying the car to get the inflator and sealant can that fits perfectly in the sub-basement. I also have a plug kit in there because I trust plugs more than I trust the sealant stuff, especially if it's a large nail or similar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate all the replies. I find that they are charging $20 per tire extra for self seal vs regular. I will call them to switch to regular energey saver. I have more than 200 mile towing from AAA anyway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Costco can be particular about what tires they will mount. Haven't had too much trouble with them in the past as long as I stick with OEM size.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You also are not bound to buying the Energy Saver tires. The only thing the factory tires are good for is energy savings. If you don't need maximum range then I would buy a more performance oriented tire.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
From comparing the weight of the non-goo tires (20 lb) versus the self seal version (23 lb), losing 3 pounds of goo per corner might allow me to win a race against a "goo car" if I get the non self seal version when I change tires. Hmm. :D

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is the S10 sissors jack still the best option to change a tire??
This is what I keep in the trunk. In addition to a breaker bar, 19mm socket, full size spare.
Never had to do a flat yet. But have done one tire rotation in the 4 months that I had my Bolt.
S10 worked well. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ps. I modified the jack by filing off the built in handle; it was a pain to use.
With the handle removed; I can now use a 19mm socket. Same socket I
need to remove lugnuts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What do you have on top of the stand?
That Esso jack stand comes w/ a rubber pad. I wanted to jack up the car in one hole.
Then place the stand under the 2nd hole to the right:

But I couldn't position the jack stand in the 2nd hole. The base was wide and didn't have enough
room next to the scissor jack. Ended just placing it under the pinch weld.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts