Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here so I don't have the same sour experience from two months ago, when I first traveled to Bangor, Maine from Nassau County Long Island and had to stop four times coming home to charge my Bolt.

I used the ABRP app and everything worked as anticipated going to Maine. I left with a full charge from LI, stopped twice (once at the Auburn Mall in Auburn, MA, where we took a nap), and once in Maine at the Kennebunk rest stop on Route 95 (had a picnic lunch).

Arriving in Bangor we had a 10% SoC, but the hotel we stayed at did not have any chargers (rookie mistake, but many hotels in Maine do not have chargers, or if they do, they're only for Tesla--which means we're SOL). We used our Level 1 charger overnight at a friend's house to gain some range, but it was only enough to allow us to travel an hour south, where we had to stop and spend at least 45 minutes to get a full charge (all our charging experiences, in and of themselves, were flawless--ChargePoint and Electrify America). That was the start of a very long day.

We took a short detour on our way home to New York, and I won't bore you with the details, but we had to stop three more times to make it home. I don't take risks, not at 11 PM at night on the highway, so I made sure we would have a sufficient charge. By that I mean, the last stop /might/ have been longer than needed, but there was no way I was going to count on the guess-o-meter.

All in all, charging added at least an additional two hours to our already long trip and we didn't pull in until 2:15 AM. Suffice it to say, we're not so exuberant anymore about driving our Bolt long distances to certain parts of Maine. Granted, southern Maine, from the border to Portland, has plenty of public charging stations, but very quickly, there are few stations off the Maine Turnpike.

Here's my question. This weekend we're traveling to Boothbay, ME, from Nassau County. Traveling there won't be a problem charging-wise; we'll leave with a full charge, and stop twice (as expected) to get to our destination (thank you ABRP). The challenge, though, is that our hotel does NOT have a charging station, and other hotels/inns in the area only have Tesla stations. We're going to end up in the same nightmare situation returning home if I can't find a Level 2 charging station nearby where we can charge up overnight before leaving--and will have to stop at least three times, which is utterly absurd. We plan on driving at least 75 miles during our stay, to the surrounding areas, which means our SoC will be even lower.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I already called the Boothbay chamber of commerce and they said that there are two hotels/inns with charging stations (but those are only Tesla). Looking at a map it appears as if there aren't any Level 2 chargers until Portland (heading south). I don't want to spend my time searching out electric charging stations during a short trip, either.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I agree with XJ12. Get the adaptor. If only for this trip, it will be worth the money.

I traveled to Maine a few weeks ago, up to Hancock (just north of Bar Harbor). Once you get past Augusta, there really is nothing. I had to stop in Belfast for a while to L2 charge enough to make it back to Augusta. Fortunately, I found a municipal lot that was walking distance to a nice restaurant so we had a leisurely lunch.

More chargers are coming, but that won't help you right now. If you go again next summer, it should be a relative breeze!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,205 Posts
Are there any RV parks within walking distance to your destination? Do you have a Level 2 charger at home that plugs in (not hard wired)? If yes to both, you could get a plug adapter for your Level 2 charger and plug into the 240 outlet at the RV park overnight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there any RV parks within walking distance to your destination? Do you have a Level 2 charger at home that plugs in (not hard wired)? If yes to both, you could get a plug adapter for your Level 2 charger and plug into the 240 outlet at the RV park overnight.
Yes and yes. That's a good idea, and I'll think about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naive question, I know, but how does the Tesla L2 stations charge non-Tesla cars (drivers)? Is it legal to use the adapter? Or is it a gray area, and should I anticipate side-eye from Tesla owners at the charging station?

Not saying I won't do it, just want to be prepared in advance (I like to plan, obviously).

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Naive question, I know, but how does the Tesla L2 stations charge non-Tesla cars (drivers)? Is it legal to use the adapter? Or is it a gray area, and should I anticipate side-eye from Tesla owners at the charging station?

Not saying I won't do it, just want to be prepared in advance (I like to plan, obviously).
These only work on L2 locations, not Superchargers. Those destinations are free, not paid, so there is no billing involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is, I'm a huge advocate for electric cars, and the Bolt specifically. So I want to figure this out and be able to explain to friends and family who are on the fence about buying an electric car but are concerned about charging during long-distance trips. Our trip to Maine in June was our first long-distance trip with the car; previously I leased two Volts for a total of six years, so charging wasn't an issue. We finally took the leap to an all-electric car and there are some growing pains right now.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Or is it a gray area, and should I anticipate side-eye from Tesla owners at the charging station?
Maybe a Tesla owner might get upset. Heck, I know I got kinda upset when I couldn't charge when a Tesla was using their adapter to use a public J1772. It would be proper to ask the hotel if it was okay to use their Tesla destination charger for your non-Tesla car.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Tesla paid for and installed those destination chargers but there's nothing in the agreement between the property owner and Tesla that they can only be used by Tesla's. As a matter of fact, some of the newer Gen 3 destination chargers can be equipped with J1772 plugs so no adapter needed. Although still a rare sight, however, per the article below, you may also find a Clipper Creek level 2 charger alongside the Tesla destination charger which was also on Tesla's dime. So the point is, in Tesla's grand scheme, they have willingly encouraged and enabled non-Tesla's to get free level 2 charging at select private businesses. So just because the hotel notes that they have a destination charger, don't assume you are left out in the cold.

If a Tesla owner gives you the stink eye, just tell them you're helping the mission. If that doesn't work, print this out and underscore the part about,

"While Tesla is definitely a for-profit company with responsibilities to its shareholders, its mission to accelerate the advent of sustainable energy is an altruistic one in many ways. If you think that’s just a front, this might convince you otherwise.

As we already knew, the company supplies those chargers for free, officially 2 chargers, but we’ve heard of busy locations where Tesla supplied more, including covering the cost of the installation.

That’s a good deal for the property owners since it enables them to add value to their property while attracting more customers who will have to stop there for an extended period of time. Tesla takes applications online for those ‘Destination Charger’ locations, which recently reached over 5,000 total locations around the world.

In the US (this is not applicable in Europe and some other markets), those chargers feature a connector proprietary to Tesla and therefore, only Tesla vehicles can charge on them – unless they use a new somewhat controversial third-party adapter.

But we often see other universal J1772 level 2 chargers at the same locations where Tesla installed the Destination Chargers."

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat
104 Posts
I am also going to Boothbay Harbor this year, but we can use our (resident) friend's dryer outlet if we need to. But I have to build an extension cord and find out which dryer plug he has.

It is simply a fact that EV market penetration is not very high, so it unreasonable to expect this problem to go away by itself in the immediate future. I was talking to a B&B owner recently, and he replied that he did not have a charging station. But if he had asked me, I would have said that it could be a mistake to install one in a hurry; He has 15 (!) rooms, and the one station could cause ... er .. conflict .. between multiple Telsla visitors. (Unfairly, I have the prejudice that Tesla owners tend to be more aggressive than other EV owners.) I see a lot of Superchargers, and relatively few Destination Chargers. I had lunch at an Italian restaurant franchise in Newburgh, NY, and they had eight Superchargers, with only one in use. It was not a remote area, but was a mile from Interstate 84.

I did my first, brief, CCS session recently, just for my own training purposes, and was disappointed to find that it was $0.43/kwH. Consolidation of charging companies may possibly increase the number of stations, but a reduction in capitalist competition is never good for consumer pricing!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am also going to Boothbay Harbor this year, but we can use our (resident) friend's dryer outlet if we need to. But I have to build an extension cord and find out which dryer plug he has.

It is simply a fact that EV market penetration is not very high, so it unreasonable to expect this problem to go away by itself in the immediate future. I was talking to a B&B owner recently, and he replied that he did not have a charging station. But if he had asked me, I would have said that it could be a mistake to install one in a hurry; He has 15 (!) rooms, and the one station could cause ... er .. conflict .. between multiple Telsla visitors. (Unfairly, I have the prejudice that Tesla owners tend to be more aggressive than other EV owners.) I see a lot of Superchargers, and relatively few Destination Chargers. I had lunch at an Italian restaurant franchise in Newburgh, NY, and they had eight Superchargers, with only one in use. It was not a remote area, but was a mile from Interstate 84.

I did my first, brief, CCS session recently, just for my own training purposes, and was disappointed to find that it was $0.43/kwH. Consolidation of charging companies may possibly increase the number of stations, but a reduction in capitalist competition is never good for consumer pricing!
You're being too kind. There's a fair argument to be had that some Tesla owners tend to feel more entitled. It can bring out their inner Karen if you know what I mean. JK

I wouldn't defer the install of a level 2 at a 15 room B&B in the least. It won't cost him anything for the install if he has Tesla do it and he can probably justify a couple of units, at least one being a Clipper Creek on Tesla's dime. What's the worst that can happen really. It's first come first serve and he's small enough to be able to coordinate a sharing schedule. If using the Gen 3 destination chargers, he can gang up to 16 units sharing a single supply which would reduce the charging rate as more are in use but for an overnight charge, even 12 miles/hour is better than nothing.

"The firmware-based power sharing feature enables up to 16 Wall Connectors installed at the same site to intelligently share the site's total available power via unit-to-unit Wi-Fi. This minimizes the need for many residential and commercial applications to have specific electrical upgrades for concurrent multi-vehicle charging. During the commissioning process, • Wall Connectors are allocated to individual branch circuits (each up to 60 amps) • Total power is allocated to the group of linked Wall Connectors Total current output of Wall Connectors that share power will never exceed the site's total allocated power."

·
Registered
4,951 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Need some help here so I don't have the same sour experience from two months ago, when I first traveled to Bangor, Maine from Nassau County Long Island and had to stop four times coming home to charge my Bolt.

I used the ABRP app and everything worked as anticipated going to Maine. I left with a full charge from LI, stopped twice (once at the Auburn Mall in Auburn, MA, where we took a nap), and once in Maine at the Kennebunk rest stop on Route 95 (had a picnic lunch).

Arriving in Bangor we had a 10% SoC, but the hotel we stayed at did not have any chargers (rookie mistake, but many hotels in Maine do not have chargers, or if they do, they're only for Tesla--which means we're SOL). We used our Level 1 charger overnight at a friend's house to gain some range, but it was only enough to allow us to travel an hour south, where we had to stop and spend at least 45 minutes to get a full charge (all our charging experiences, in and of themselves, were flawless--ChargePoint and Electrify America). That was the start of a very long day.

We took a short detour on our way home to New York, and I won't bore you with the details, but we had to stop three more times to make it home. I don't take risks, not at 11 PM at night on the highway, so I made sure we would have a sufficient charge. By that I mean, the last stop /might/ have been longer than needed, but there was no way I was going to count on the guess-o-meter.

All in all, charging added at least an additional two hours to our already long trip and we didn't pull in until 2:15 AM. Suffice it to say, we're not so exuberant anymore about driving our Bolt long distances to certain parts of Maine. Granted, southern Maine, from the border to Portland, has plenty of public charging stations, but very quickly, there are few stations off the Maine Turnpike.

Here's my question. This weekend we're traveling to Boothbay, ME, from Nassau County. Traveling there won't be a problem charging-wise; we'll leave with a full charge, and stop twice (as expected) to get to our destination (thank you ABRP). The challenge, though, is that our hotel does NOT have a charging station, and other hotels/inns in the area only have Tesla stations. We're going to end up in the same nightmare situation returning home if I can't find a Level 2 charging station nearby where we can charge up overnight before leaving--and will have to stop at least three times, which is utterly absurd. We plan on driving at least 75 miles during our stay, to the surrounding areas, which means our SoC will be even lower.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I already called the Boothbay chamber of commerce and they said that there are two hotels/inns with charging stations (but those are only Tesla). Looking at a map it appears as if there aren't any Level 2 chargers until Portland (heading south). I don't want to spend my time searching out electric charging stations during a short trip, either.
I took my first EV road trip in my Bolt a month ago from NC to mid coast Maine (via Pittsburgh) and made good use of free L2 charging in Bath, Thomaston, Camden and Belfast. But there is DCFC in Topsham which is just shy of Boothbay by 20 miles or so. Beyond that, along with the freebies mentioned are a small but sufficient number of L2 options going up the coast, according to Plug Share.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts