Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2017 Bolt "Sparky" (was named that before the recall) now with 60k (not even 10k with the new battery) and I commented on several posts in the past regarding the recall. To save you searching the common theme I voiced was "love the Bolt but GM & their marketing team really f!ck!d up and this will be the last Chevy we ever own".

But recently there have been a few news articles that made me crunch a few numbers. First, there was an article mentioning the Bolts have some of the longest stays on dealer lots; so slow moving sales = discounts. Second, was the recent legislation in the build back better II / inflation reduction which reinstates the EV credit in the form of a dealer rebate instead of tax refund.

As much as I have said I am wiping my hands of GM after our current '17 Bolt, right now I am looking at $6k for a new Bolt today and potentially $0 with the EV Credit.

How I get to those numbers:

$35,000 Bolt EUV w/ Convenience Package
-$6,300 Customer Cash
-$500 Teacher Discount
-$3,750 Bolt Loyalty Cash
-$18,000 Trade Equity
=$6,450 TODAY ...

IF the customer cash stands and is piggybacked on the pending government ev credit / welfare the net is $0. Yes, there is tax, title, dealer fees, etc; but still if we can upgrade for next to nothing, I am going to be hard pressed not to eat my words. We may be putting a new Bolt in our garage (which has a smoke detector).

·
Premium Member
MY21 Premier - Summit White/Gray, MY15 smart ED, MY15 Cub Cadet RZT S42 Electric
102 Posts
I'm not familiar with this. Is there some sort of discount involved if you already own a Bolt?
Yes, but not without limitations…

$3750 - Chevrolet Bolt Lease Loyalty Private Offer
DETAILS:
Customers who have a current 2017 model year or newer Bolt EV or Bolt EUV lease through GM Financial and purchase/lease an eligible model qualify for this offer. Proof of loyalty vehicle lease is required. Offer is transferable within the household. Can not be combined with conquest offers. Residency restrictions apply. See dealer for complete details.
SEE LESS -Expires: 08-31-2022

·
Registered
800 Posts

DETAILS:
Customers who have a current 2017 model year or newer Bolt EV or Bolt EUV lease through GM Financial and purchase/lease an eligible model qualify for this offer. Proof of loyalty vehicle lease is required. Offer is transferable within the household. Can not be combined with conquest offers. Residency restrictions apply. See dealer for complete details.
Yes, that is what a dealer pointed out to me, that the Loyalty Offer only applies to those who are leasing rather than owning.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,413 Posts
We have a 2017 Bolt "Sparky" (was named that before the recall) now with 60k (not even 10k with the new battery) and I commented on several posts in the past regarding the recall. To save you searching the common theme I voiced was "love the Bolt but GM & their marketing team really f!ck!d up and this will be the last Chevy we ever own".

But recently there have been a few news articles that made me crunch a few numbers. First, there was an article mentioning the Bolts have some of the longest stays on dealer lots; so slow moving sales = discounts. Second, was the recent legislation in the build back better II / inflation reduction which reinstates the EV credit in the form of a dealer rebate instead of tax refund.

As much as I have said I am wiping my hands of GM after our current '17 Bolt, right now I am looking at $6k for a new Bolt today and potentially $0 with the EV Credit.

How I get to those numbers:

$35,000 Bolt EUV w/ Convenience Package
-$6,300 Customer Cash
-$500 Teacher Discount
-$3,750 Bolt Loyalty Cash
-$18,000 Trade Equity
=$6,450 TODAY ...

IF the customer cash stands and is piggybacked on the pending government ev credit / welfare the net is $0. Yes, there is tax, title, dealer fees, etc; but still if we can upgrade for next to nothing, I am going to be hard pressed not to eat my words. We may be putting a new Bolt in our garage (which has a smoke detector).
Bolt loyalty cash will expire before the updated tax credit is in place. The updated tax credit does not go into effect until 01/01/2023. Assuming the tax credit does come back I don't expect GM to continue the customer cash or at the very least they will reduce that amount.

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,377 Posts
So what happened to your 17' Bolt? Is the battery replaced or did you do a buy back? I am guessing that since it was a 17' with highish miles that a buy back was not all that favorable.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,494 Posts
Why are you thinking of spending more money, if the 2017 is working, and has 90K miles left on the battery warranty? Ashtray full?

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premiere
325 Posts
Note that some discounts can't be stacked with others. I know some folks on FB
complained that they couldn't stack teacher/educator with 1st responder and/or
military for example.

Though last year(APR 2021) - I was able to stack:
$10K GM discount
$6.5K Mayse Auto(dealer) discount
$3K Costco coupon
$1.5K Loyalty(previous GM owner)

I opened a GM credit card. Because in 2020; GM had a discount for that.
But not in 2021. Not sure about 2022.

I wish there was one place where you can find all of the GM discounts,
rebates, offers - low interest rate, military, manufacturer cash, previous
GM owner, employee, etc., etc.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Because he has forgotten more about cars, and their manufacture, than you, and me, and everybody else on this blow-fest.
I can't quite put my finger on it... I remember him saying or supporting something that caused me to completely stop caring about what Sandy Munro thinks or posts. And for a time, it even appeared (to me) as if everyone else stopped caring about Sandy Munro. I stopped seeing his videos posted on EV subreddits or anywhere for a while. Maybe it was about hydrogen or something that caused me to stop taking him seriously. It was clearly something silly.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,426 Posts
Because he has forgotten more about cars, and their manufacture, than you, and me, and everybody else on this blow-fest.
Well he's utterly clueless on the pricing. He says the 2LT he's got there is $36-38k, and then goes on to say the 1LT starts at $26.6k. In other words he talks 2022 pricing for the 2LT, but 2023 pricing for the 1LT. :unsure:

And then he says, "there's another vehicle that's going to be coming out called the uhh, umm, Bolt EVU" :D

Munro does seem to like the car though, and I look forward to his comments after taking it home for the weekend.

Reactions: Martin D

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,672 Posts

DETAILS:
That would apply to me. I wonder if it will still be around when the Equinox EV is released. I realize it says it expires at month end. But stuff like this often continues for many, many months.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
597 Posts
I know Sandy Munro is not like the Family Guy fat detective cut scene... Sandy Munro's frequent mistakes in that video remind me of the fat detective.
Well, I decided that I was willing to give the guy a second chance so to speak. He made similar frequent mistakes years ago when he threw the Bolt under the bus and lauded the advantages of everyone else. If he has decided to use his years of experience in a positive way, I am all for it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts