Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
but still if we can upgrade for next to nothing, I am going to be hard pressed not to eat my words. We may be putting a new Bolt in our garage (which has a smoke detector).
Nope... the brake lights and blinkers in the back are the deal killer for me.
As silly as it sounds, I will not be getting "2nd" gen Bolt.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Don't count on Uncle Brandon to give you any free money. Wait until it actually happens.
Your upgrade still seems cheap in todays world. I'd do it. 60K used to be a trade in point for me. 60K new truck.
I go from Uncle Joe to Uncle Brandon at random.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We have a 2017 Bolt "Sparky" (was named that before the recall) now with 60k (not even 10k with the new battery) and I commented on several posts in the past regarding the recall. To save you searching the common theme I voiced was "love the Bolt but GM & their marketing team really f!ck!d up and this will be the last Chevy we ever own".

But recently there have been a few news articles that made me crunch a few numbers. First, there was an article mentioning the Bolts have some of the longest stays on dealer lots; so slow moving sales = discounts. Second, was the recent legislation in the build back better II / inflation reduction which reinstates the EV credit in the form of a dealer rebate instead of tax refund.

As much as I have said I am wiping my hands of GM after our current '17 Bolt, right now I am looking at $6k for a new Bolt today and potentially $0 with the EV Credit.

How I get to those numbers:

$35,000 Bolt EUV w/ Convenience Package
-$6,300 Customer Cash
-$500 Teacher Discount
-$3,750 Bolt Loyalty Cash
-$18,000 Trade Equity
=$6,450 TODAY ...

IF the customer cash stands and is piggybacked on the pending government ev credit / welfare the net is $0. Yes, there is tax, title, dealer fees, etc; but still if we can upgrade for next to nothing, I am going to be hard pressed not to eat my words. We may be putting a new Bolt in our garage (which has a smoke detector).
I wasn't able to get any Chevy loyalty cash or even GMS discount but I got the $6300 customer cash, $500 Military discount and $5000 in trade equity (plus $1290 in tax savings)
After taxes and discount, my out the door price was $33,400 for a Premier EUV with Sun/Sound and Supercruise. My Launch Edition Bolt EUV Premier MSRP was $43,495

I'd say you got a great deal and should go for it.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,568 Posts
Don't count on Uncle Brandon to give you any free money. Wait until it actually happens.
Your upgrade still seems cheap in todays world. I'd do it. 60K used to be a trade in point for me. 60K new truck.
Who is Brandon? The VP is Kamala.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
1 - No idea who Uncle Brandon Is? However a few things upon investigating things.

2 - As someone mentioned the $6300 and $7500 discount will (likely) not coincide. The $6300 expire EOY with the $7500 starting back with the tax benefit on January 1.

3 - Inventory is tight, but seems the local dealers have a lack of supply along with low-ish demand.

So my original thought I could get a new Bolt for near nothing is not accurate. Additionally, the interest is in the slightly more expensive EUV. Right now it is looking like ~$8k to upgrade. Haven't decided to proceed or not.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Who's Uncle Brandon?

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,168 Posts
How can that possibly be good?
We need some owners to start logging ATF temps.
What are the coolant loops doing on this late model now?

Reactions: shrox

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,565 Posts
Been doing just that for 4 years. Charging at an EVgo DC station, June of 2021, to test after getting the 4 hour battery monitoring software patch. It was a short drive, on 55 mph roads to the station,

Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

outside air was was only 98.6 F, SoC was 24%, and it never got above 40 kW.

Black Font Screenshot Technology Rectangle
Product Font Rectangle Technology Screenshot

If you lived where it gets really hot, and you managed 50kW or better, I can see the motor/gearbox hitting 200 F easy. I wonder what the magnets can handle before demagnetizing? DIY e-bike hotrod guys, on Endless Sphere, have done it horsing around.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Been doing just that for 4 years. [logging various temps]

View attachment 45497 View attachment 45498
That is great that all this data can be displayed!
I really need to get after getting my Torguepro app up and running.

Questions:
What's the difference between 'Motor Temp' and 'Trans Temp'?

Trans Temp looks like the coolant loop temp that is used by the drive unit (now missing), the inverter and onboard charger, correct?
Hopefully Motor Temp is the actual drive unit lube/ATF.
But then isn't there a battery pack loop and a cabin heat loop? So 3 coolant pumps, no?

Good Grief,, how is the lack of cooling for the drive unit going to be 'forward progress'?:mad:

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
What's the difference between 'Motor Temp' and 'Trans Temp'?

Trans Temp looks like the coolant loop temp that is used by the drive unit (now missing), the inverter and onboard charger, correct?

Hopefully Motor Temp is the actual drive unit lube/ATF.

But then isn't there a battery pack loop and a cabin heat loop? So 3 coolant pumps, no?

Good Grief,, how is the lack of cooling for the drive unit going to be 'forward progress'?:mad:
You answered your own question correctly.

The thermistor for the motor may actually be in the stator, as I recall from Prof. Kelly video.

The thermistor for trans is in the now defunct heat exchanger, as I recall. Would be interesting to see if that PID is dead on a 2022.

Yup, three loops. The cabin heater loop has no thermistor that we can see. The battery loop has six thermistors on various modules in the pack, and the battery loop thermistor is in the battery tankless heater.

Here are the six battery pack, and one battery coolant loop readings while the AC chiller was cooling the pack during the above EVgo charge session.

At start of charge

Product Rectangle Yellow Font Technology

At end of charge

Rectangle Font Line Electronic device Screenshot

The money for the driver power seat had to come from somewhere. :oops:

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
The battery loop has six thermistors on various modules in the pack, and the battery loop thermistor is in the battery tankless heater.
The other day, we were parked on hot asphalt for over an hour. The six battery module thermistors were in the 80s F, while the battery loop coolant thermistor, in the battery heater outside the battery box, and right over the asphalt. read 131 F.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
....The money for the driver power seat had to come from somewhere. :oops:
Dang,
Is there a thread concerning this new way of building the Bolt?
If not you should start it!! (y)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The thermistor for the motor may actually be in the stator, as I recall from Prof. Kelly video.

The money for the driver power seat had to come from somewhere. :oops:
Just to dredge this subject up again.... I haven't seen it discussed in other threads....yet...

So what you are saying is Motor Temp may not be Drive Unit lubricant temp.
If the motor is working hard, (say, a full load of In-Laws in the back seat going 80MPH up a long mountain outside of Phoenix in the summer, into a strong headwind...) the stator temp will be high because of the power usage.
But what will the ATF temp be? I would think the temp sensor should be measuring that.

I know the brains back a HQ knew what they were doing by discontinuing the Drive Unit coolant loop.
Makes me wonder, why did they initially think the Drive Unit needed cooling?
Your economic evaluation probably explains it! :rolleyes:
Now let's get some new owners to log some TorquePro temps during the summer!

Reactions: GJETSON

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
How many ICE come standard with oil coolers? It used to be attached to the trailer towing package only.

Oil needs to stay at a certain temperature, and keeping it too cold can be worse than too hot BTW.

Ask Harley Davison mechanics. They make oil tank sweaters for riding in cold climes. Or at least the older EVO like I once owned. No oil thermostat, no oil radiator either. Just a dry sump w/ exposed oil tank and H-D 50W 🤔

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
How many ICE come standard with oil coolers? It used to be attached to the trailer towing package only.
We're talking Transmissions/Drive Units.
Conventional automatic transmissions do a lot of work with thousands of parts.
afaik, they always had that line to keep the ATF near engine coolant temps via the engine radiator.
No clue what the latest tech is in '9 speed automatics', and such.

That doesn't answer why gm thought the Bolt drive unit needed a coolant loop,
and then,,, it didn't.:rolleyes:

I guess, only time will tell.
It would be interesting to see Bolts with and without driving in similar conditions and logging whatever temp sensors show temps related to the drive unit.(y)

Reactions: Martin D
21 - 40 of 47 Posts