Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm newly looking to enter the EV world via a used Bolt. In the past, I've bought ICE cars with no more than 50k miles on them, as I always intend to drive a car until it dies. Is there a similar rule of thumb, mileage-ceiling figure for Bolts? In my area, I'm seeing listings for cars with 85k+ miles for under $16k, then things jump to $18k and up real quick. I wouldn't mind saving the money on the purchase price, but not at the cost of reliability down the road of course. Your opinions or links to previous threads/other info sources much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
as I always intend to drive a car until it dies.
welcome to the forum. I've bought several ICE over 100K. Cheap transportation. But I can work on my own vehicles. At 85K miles, you only have 15K miles left on the battery warranty. But you can buy battery modules to repair at around $2.5K. If you're willing to do that if needed, then the higher mileage wouldn't be an issue. In theory, the EV has more chance to run longer than an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
At this point in time your question has no answer supported by experiential data. Too few Bolts with high mileage.

It's interesting that some Bolts are putting on the miles. Whereas by the time i3s were three years old, there were many for sale with miniscule mileage on them. The early adapters just used it as a poseur and not as a real car; that and the very short range didn't lend itself to road trips.

jack vines

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd get one coming over lease with 30 to 40k miles. Or you could wait until Eric Way is done with his. He's got more than 100,000. ;)

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts