Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peculiar experience tonite. New Bolt with 200+ miles on it. First trip on highway. L mode exclusively. 25 mile trip.
After 25 miles, mileage reading dropped from 297 to 267. On return 25 mile trip, miles was dropping as expected to 246, then suddenly dropped to 206 , then a few minutes later back up to 246. For rest of trip, cycled a couple of times between 206 and 246. Ended up in my garage at 246.

That's about 50 miles used (about 12-13 KWh, from my driving so far) for a 50 mile trip. At 246. But where did the 206 come from? Is this a malfunction.?
I'm charging on level 1 in my garage overnight.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I get that too... (just bought Friday afternoon so first commute today). The estimator must be using some advanced math that we do not understand. :LOL:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yup. Battery temperature management. You'll feel heat or cold coming out as needed too. I think some kind of indicator light should come on saying that it's doing its thing. Alas. Just appreciate that it's doing some clever algorithms to keep the batteries healthy.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm guessing too few total miles on your Bolt for the algorithm to figure out your driving. Miles will vary 20 miles just by turning the air conditioner on and off. Any hills on your trip? That will make it change, especially if you have very few miles. Don't worry, your Bolt is fine. Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Freeway speeds will slash it considerably and it will swing when you get off the freeway. I have about 15,000 miles on my 2019 and half of my daily 68 mile commute is freeway .... you pay a premium for the freeway. Especially over 65 and I usually set the cruise for 81.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If the number on the GOM decreases suddenly, dropping 20 or so in a couple of seconds, it might be the car operating the A/C and/or Heat on its own. If it's for the cabin, then a frequent culprit is the auto defog. But if you don't feel anything, then it could be for the battery conditioning.

When entering the highway fast, or climbing uphill for an extended period of time, GOM decrease is less pronounced. It'll take at least tens of seconds for the number to drop more than 10.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the number on the GOM decreases suddenly, dropping 20 or so in a couple of seconds, it might be the car operating the A/C and/or Heat on its own. If it's for the cabin, then a frequent culprit is the auto defog. But if you don't feel anything, then it could be for the battery conditioning.

When entering the highway fast, or climbing uphill for an extended period of time, GOM decrease is less pronounced. It'll take at least tens of seconds for the number to drop more than 10.
Actually, while I don't have the a/c on, I feel cool (not cold) air through the vents. I do have the blower on. I was going to check the manual to see if the temperature is controlled electronically, which I have set at 72. Could be I'm getting some cooling from the a/c system even though it's not turned on?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Freeway speeds will slash it considerably and it will swing when you get off the freeway. I have about 15,000 miles on my 2019 and half of my daily 68 mile commute is freeway .... you pay a premium for the freeway. Especially over 65 and I usually set the cruise for 81.
I'm guessing the computer extrapolates the miles depending on your type of driving. If it's highway, it adjusts lower. If you switch back to city, the computer remembers that and readjusts upwards back to city. So I guess expect the flip flop as the computer is guessing highway or city driving. It changes the expected range. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Actually, while I don't have the a/c on, I feel cool (not cold) air through the vents. I do have the blower on. I was going to check the manual to see if the temperature is controlled electronically, which I have set at 72. Could be I'm getting some cooling from the a/c system even though it's not turned on?
Auto Defog will activate heat or A/C if needed. To turn Auto Defog off or on, see “Climate and Air Quality” under Vehicle Personalization pg. 143.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
GregBrew
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing