Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I tried to explain L driving to My GF, she said it is too complicated and did not even want to try it. There will always be some that cannot adjust after learning to drive initially.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I tried to explain L driving to My GF, she said it is too complicated and did not even want to try it. There will always be some that cannot adjust after learning to drive initially.
Did you describe it as "go kart mode?" If not, give it a try and she how she reacts.

·
1,864 Posts
The video I linked to says the opposite - that people who struggle with driving might find 1 pedal driving more "collaborative."
If you play a lot of golf, 1-pedal mode should seem pretty natural.

First time my wife drove my Bolt, she said "this is like a big golf cart".

·
Registered
76 Posts
I tired teaching her how to drive a manual transmission it became obvious that she could only pay attention to shifting or keeping the car on the road. For mine and my cars sake I stopped trying to teach her.

and Yes one pedal driving is a lot easier than driving a manual.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just have to put my two cents in here. I worked for UPS driving over a million miles, trained other UPS drivers. I learned some basic skills that I still use today. Smooth is better and driving in "sleep mode" is dangerous.... not paying attention. Switching to an EV (Bolt) took me a week or two to learn/figure out how to drive it. Now it is the smoothest driving car I have ever owned and it is way intuitive also.... push pedal (D or L) accelerate... let off pedal... slow down or really slow down (you control it) learn to feather the pedal and no heavy regen or mashing the pedal and you will never use the brake! I only use it at stops and backing... or in emergencies where needed. I wish I had self driving, but probably would get bored. I love driving this EV!! I wish I had it 20 years ago.
Go bolt nation!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
791 Posts
I tired teaching her how to drive a manual transmission it became obvious that she could only pay attention to shifting or keeping the car on the road. For mine and my cars sake I stopped trying to teach her.

and Yes one pedal driving is a lot easier than driving a manual.
I remember my dad trying to teach my mom how to drive a manual transmission. It was not healthy for their marriage, so he stopped.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I remember my dad trying to teach my mom how to drive a manual transmission. It was not healthy for their marriage, so he stopped.
I taught all my kids to drive a stick. The toughest problem is that the biggest challenge is moving from a stop in 1st gear. Like novices to L mode, novice stick drivers often treat the clutch as an on/off switch which results in popping the clutch in 1st. Of course this causes panic to novices. So, I came up with a 1st gear routine that's almost always guaranteed to generate a successful launch:

1. Engage clutch.
2. Rev engine to between 2000-2500 RPM. Lack of engine power often causes failures.
3. Release the clutch smoothly over a 5 second count. Remind driver that the clutch is a variable knob, not a switch.

Then make the student practice the technique on an incline until they can engage 1st gear 25-30 straight times without popping the clutch. The incline is to get the driver used to the slight rollback between the release of the brake and the engagement of the clutch. It causes a sense of panic.

One lesson I learned is not to teach a novice to driving in a manual transmission car. It's sensory overload. Get them to the point where they are comfortable driving an automatic. Then teach them how to drive a stick.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I taught my wife to drive a manual in about an hour. She was popping the clutch and killing it continuously. What finally clicked for her was me telling her to take what seems to be an eternity to let out the clutch slowly. Take a ridiculously long time to let the clutch out I told her. She got it the very next attempt, and after that it just becomes a matter of training yourself where the engagement point is and refining the coordination of giving more gas and letting out the clutch.

I gave up on my sister when she tried to shift from 2nd to 4th without using the clutch or letting off the gas. She's the reason we need autonomous driving.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I taught my wife to drive a manual in about an hour. She was popping the clutch and killing it continuously. What finally clicked for her was me telling her to take what seems to be an eternity to let out the clutch slowly. Take a ridiculously long time to let the clutch out I told her. She got it the very next attempt, and after that it just becomes a matter of training yourself where the engagement point is and refining the coordination of giving more gas and letting out the clutch.

I gave up on my sister when she tried to shift from 2nd to 4th without using the clutch or letting off the gas. She's the reason we need autonomous driving.
LOL

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a Honda EVPlus that had regen about the same as “L” mode except that it shut off below 3 miles per hour. My first thought the first time I drive it was why don’t they allow it to come to a complete stop. Twenty years later, Chevrolet got it right in the Bolt.

I let a friend drive the EVPlus back to the office after lunch once. Her first action was to press the accelerator too far causing acceleration way to aggressive for the parking lot. She immediately took her foot off the accelerator and it was like applying the brake. It was not a very smooth beginning. She said, “It really slows down.” I told her to just ease her foot down to go faster and ease it back up to slow down. She was driving smoothly by the time we left the parking lot and had no issues all the way back to the office.

The Bolt has a wonderful regen algorithm. I have trouble understanding how anybody has trouble driving it smoothly.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT - Kinetic Blue
54 Posts
Again, I'm trying to be respectful and stating my preference for D mode, not an inability to drive in L mode. I don't need a lecture on practicing driving in that mode (nor the inference that my preference is outdated and no longer valid). I was trying to have a healthy discussion and it just seems like my point was lost. Anyway, we have gotten way off topic from the OP regarding real world efficiencies observed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Again, I'm trying to be respectful and stating my preference for D mode, not an inability to drive in L mode. I don't need a lecture on practicing driving in that mode (nor the inference that my preference is outdated and no longer valid). I was trying to have a healthy discussion and it just seems like my point was lost. Anyway, we have gotten way off topic from the OP regarding real world efficiencies observed.

We understand it is a preference. and That was my point. I do see how you are able to control more in D than in L. L you kind of let the car do the work for you.

I am still in the experimental stage and am undecided between D and L. I have had my bolt for less than a month and am learning and experimenting with efficiency still. doing a lot of reading and my own tests to determine what efficiency i can accomplish and what I am able to get used to.

right now I am in the D stage, and am still testing driving styles I will probably try L later to see what I am able to come up with.

I enjoy reading what people are using and their reasons for using them. it helps me try some new techniques to come up with my own driving style.

I was not insinuating that you were incapable of driving in L, just wanted to make a point that not all Can or will want to learn to drive in L.

and yes this has gotten way off topic. sometimes topics go off the rails and I forget what the original point of the topic was.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
The video I linked to says the opposite - that people who struggle with driving might find 1 pedal driving more "collaborative."
Definitely less scary for new drivers when car slows as you lift your foot.

Reactions: Vertiformed

·
1,864 Posts
Obviously, people feel passionate about D or L. But, agreed, there is no right and wrong here, just preferences.

A few EVs have multiple regen modes as I recall. While it seems nice to have more choices, it might also make the driving experience a bit more complicated or confusing if the controls are not logical or easy to change. I was not aware of Tesla removing the option, it was added just a couple of years ago as I recall, but I think it is buried in the infotainment screen settings, so not something one would tend to adjust on the fly.

My preference for L tends to come from the fact that I actually live at the top of a hill, 7500 ft. Everything is downhill from my home, so the regen is useful. But I also appreciate D at times and find costing probably regenerates as much energy as L if the technique is right. I tend to shift between the two modes more often than not, and generally use L to stop if possible. Honestly, I couldn't point my finger to which technique is more efficient, so it comes down to what feels right for the conditions.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
999 Posts
.... There will always be some that cannot adjust after learning to drive initially.
But why 'adjust'? What are the advantages? Not moving your foot off the Go Pedal for the entire drive?
The advantages are you get to relax your right foot and coast when you want to.
It moving your toes a few inches to the 'Variable Regen' / Brake Pedal that much of a chore?

Keep in mind Tesla's demand that you 'adjust' to '1 Pedal' driving.
They don't have Blended Brakes and if you want a decent amount of Regen you must drive them '1 Pedal'.
Their Brake Pedal is just friction brakes.

With the Bolt at least you have the option of trying both ways.

I still wonder how EV Race Cars are set up?
It seems to me they wouldn't want to be transitioning pedals when more than 'max regen' is needed?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT - Kinetic Blue
54 Posts
I was not aware of Tesla removing the option, it was added just a couple of years ago as I recall, but I think it is buried in the infotainment screen settings, so not something one would tend to adjust on the fly.
I wasn’t aware either until I test drove a Model Y in February and was shown by the salesperson that the switch was removed in the latest software. One thing I hate about Tesla.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Happen to notice yesterday on a little shopping/eating out trip we took that the number 3.8 miles per kw showed up on the big screen. We've got about 500 miles on it in 2 weeks (tomorrow makes two weeks since I drove it home.)

81 - 100 of 146 Posts