Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2023 Silver Flare EUV Premier
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite my trepidation, I agreed to drive the new EUV ~600 miles from Phoenix to Taos, NM for Thanksgiving, my Dad just had to see it, he loves Chevy's and is Go Green to boot. With 10 days off work, I could afford to take my time at least. I planned to spend Friday the 18th in Holbrook, AZ, as they had Blink Chargers onsite (newly built La Quinta). I set off around 1pm after getting the house in order. It's about 3.5 hours drive without charging so figured no hurry.

Tire Wheel Car Sky Plant

Departure Eve, topping off battery

Having made this trip quite a few times before, I had a good frame of reference to compare with taking the EV. I set off and tried out the Adaptive CC, set to 70 it made for a comfortable drive. LOTS of looky-loo's along the way, especially from GM drivers and owners of Pea Green Subies. About an hour into the drive, a BMW pulls up behind and shadows me for a few mins before zipping ahead, where I see the EV plate and realize its an i4 (which I had test drove). I decided here is my chance to really see what the Bolt can do, so I set the adaptive up to 85 and proceeded to chase the Beemer up the mountain climb to Flag. The Bolt did not fail to impress as I was able to keep pace with the more powerful sedan for at least an hour along steep climbs. The downside was between the speed, the ACC's lack of optimization, and a steep climb in the cool air, the battery drained rapidly. (I did turn off the ACC and actually gained a good 6-10 miles of range along the 2000 foot descent into Verde Valley). By the time I was 25 miles from Flag, I was already down to less than 1/3 charge so waved goodbye to the Beemer and coasted at 65 as I headed to the EA chargers at the Flagstaff Walmart (I spent a LOT of time at Walmarts last week). But what do you know, the Beemer was right ahead of me and cruised into the last open charger leaving me to wait.

Cloud Sky Motor vehicle Hood Car

Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Had to wait as one charger was taken up by a EV6 and another two by an Electric Semi (!!). After awhile the semi was done (have to wonder how long that actually takes to top off?) and I grabbed a charger that turned out to be set to complimentary! Comparing to the BMW, the 145 mile drive had taken me down to 20% while the BMW was still at 53%, not to mention it charges quite a bit faster. Don't chase BMWs uphill if you want to preserve range.

Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Tree Gas

Beemer charging

Personal luxury car Gadget Display device Electronic device Home appliance

The spunky underdog.

· Registered
2023 Silver Flare EUV Premier
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stage II : Flagstaff to Holbrook

Between the major drain inflicted by me chasing the BMW up the hill and the long charge to get back to 80%, I was a bit behind schedule and had wished I headed out earlier. But, it was only ~90 miles to Holbrook so no worries. There is a fast charger along the way in Winslow, I was at about 45% when I got there, but decided to stop and charge back to 80% just to be on the safe side. The Winslow Walmart was empty so I had my choice of chargers and quickly got the battery refreshed and made it to the hotel at around 6:30 pm with ~60% left. I parked at the Blink charger but in the dark and cold had trouble getting it activated so just checked in and made an early night of it as I was very tired. (Beds there were SUPER comfortable btw, I recommend the La Quinta as an EV oasis for sure.) In the morning I had the Blink app installed now and hooked it up before digging into my complimentary breakfast.

Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle

It was a level 2 charger, so I had plenty of time to take it easy before heading to Abq. The night before I decided I was liking this charge at the hotel deal, and had booked a room at the Abq Sheraton after finding it at stayncharge.com. Traveling with the EV enforces a more leisurely pace with all the charging time. I took advantage of the hotel pool while it topped off the battery.
Water Sky Azure Shade Fixture

· Registered
22 Posts
85mph up the hill is a recipe for a tow! I've done Phx-Flg 3 times starting just over 80% at the Anthem WalMart and the last time on Thanksgiving I got to FLG with 25 miles left. I've found that doing the trip at 70mph is a pretty happy place for efficiency vs. speed. I've done Cordes Jct to FLG a dozen times and have settled nicely into a 70% down to 30% battery for that stretch.

How was the trip past ABQ?

· Registered
216 Posts
85mph up the hill is a recipe for a tow! I've done Phx-Flg 3 times starting just over 80% at the Anthem WalMart and the last time on Thanksgiving I got to FLG with 25 miles left. I've found that doing the trip at 70mph is a pretty happy place for efficiency vs. speed. I've done Cordes Jct to FLG a dozen times and have settled nicely into a 70% down to 30% battery for that stretch.

How was the trip past ABQ?
If you are running low you can always add a few miles at Swift.

· Administrator
5,988 Posts
I have done that I-40 trip many times, and once in my Bolt. The Flagstaff WM has an impressive solar canopy...over the parking lot, not the chargers.

In June, we drove from CO Springs to Sedona and split the trip into 2 days each way with an overnight in ABQ at a hotel with L2. Nice leisurely pace, but I wish Holbrook had DCFC as the stretch from Gallup to Winslow forces you to charge to a fairly high SOC. The trip from Flag to Winslow is high efficiency (slightly downhill most of the way) but will eat up range on the return trip.

The stretch from Flag to PHX on return will be a breeze with lots of regen, but going north up to Flag is a bit of a stretch, Sedona will soon have APS EA chargers at Posse Grounds, and the trip to Flag from Sedona up through Oak Creek Canyon is one of my favorites dating back to my college years at NAU. Despite the slower pace and being a little less direct, I would do the Sedona stop for the scenery.

Once you pass Santa Fe, not much other than L2 going up to Taos.

On our June trip, we made EA stops in Santa Fe, Gallup, Winslow, Flag and on the return Flag, Winslow, Gallup, Grants, and Santa Fe plus the I-25 stretch with Wagon Mound and Trinidad. Winslow, Gallup, Grants and Santa Fe all have Tesla Powerpacks in the equipment cage area. Same in Wagon Mound. I guess rural power is costly in NM for DCFC.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier with sun/sound
71 Posts
Despite my trepidation, I agreed to drive the new EUV ~600 miles from Phoenix to Taos, NM for Thanksgiving, my Dad just had to see it, he loves Chevy's and is Go Green to boot....

Had to wait as one charger was taken up by a EV6 and another two by an Electric Semi (!!). After awhile the semi was done (have to wonder how long that actually takes to top off?) and I grabbed a charger that turned out to be set to complimentary! Comparing to the BMW, the 145 mile drive had taken me down to 20% while the BMW was still at 53%, not to mention it charges quite a bit faster.
Thanks for sharing your trip experience! Sounds great. About how long did it take to charge from 20% to 80%? Based on the charging curves it should be a bit over an hour (65 minutes?), and wondered if that matches your experience.

· Registered
532 Posts
Stage II : Flagstaff to Holbrook

Between the major drain inflicted by me chasing the BMW up the hill and the long charge to get back to 80%, I was a bit behind schedule and had wished I headed out earlier. But, it was only ~90 miles to Holbrook so no worries. There is a fast charger along the way in Winslow, I was at about 45% when I got there, but decided to stop and charge back to 80% just to be on the safe side. The Winslow Walmart was empty so I had my choice of chargers and quickly got the battery refreshed and made it to the hotel at around 6:30 pm with ~60% left. I parked at the Blink charger but in the dark and cold had trouble getting it activated so just checked in and made an early night of it as I was very tired. (Beds there were SUPER comfortable btw, I recommend the La Quinta as an EV oasis for sure.) In the morning I had the Blink app installed now and hooked it up before digging into my complimentary breakfast.

View attachment 50253

It was a level 2 charger, so I had plenty of time to take it easy before heading to Abq. The night before I decided I was liking this charge at the hotel deal, and had booked a room at the Abq Sheraton after finding it at stayncharge.com. Traveling with the EV enforces a more leisurely pace with all the charging time. I took advantage of the hotel pool while it topped off the battery.
View attachment 50254
So Basil.... this was a great read for me. I have made that run up and down the mountain all my life and a few times in my bolt... going down is way fun!! In the Winter up hill is a killer if you want to do the 75 speed. When I first got my Bolt in 2021 I used the Blinks in Holbrook each night to charge up for my cummute the next day.... They worked Flawlessly. I soon had my own Level 2 at home and have not visited LaQinta since. I hope you got some pics of Wig Wams and ate some good Mexican food while in my town.
Go Bolt Nation!!

· Administrator
5,988 Posts
So Basil.... this was a great read for me. I have made that run up and down the mountain all my life and a few times in my bolt... going down is way fun!! In the Winter up hill is a killer if you want to do the 75 speed. When I first got my Bolt in 2021 I used the Blinks in Holbrook each night to charge up for my cummute the next day.... They worked Flawlessly. I soon had my own Level 2 at home and have not visited LaQinta since. I hope you got some pics of Wig Wams and ate some good Mexican food while in my town.
Go Bolt Nation!!
Is Fry Bread still a thing? That used to be a must have and drew a lot of touristas to the roadside Navajo and Hopi vendors at the tourist traps along I-40 and going back to the Route 66 days.

· Registered
532 Posts
Is Fry Bread still a thing? That used to be a must have and drew a lot of touristas to the roadside Navajo and Hopi vendors at the tourist traps along I-40 and going back to the Route 66 days.
Yes sir it is still a thing.... although seeing them along "non" reservation roads is not so much... But some Restaurants still serve it. Mmmm you are making me hungry mate!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts