Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took unexpected ownership of a 2017 Bolt. My 2004 Prius' hybrid battery died (for the second time -- the OEM battery lasted 12.5 years, the third party replacement only 3 years -- alas). As the battery weakened toward un-useability over over the course of a few days, it was an unplanned race against time to find another car. (After 225k miles of great reliability, various other expensive problems were finally mounting, making another battery replacement not worthwhile.)

We have a 13-month-old Model 3 and were determined to find another BEV as the Prius replacement. Searched every type of used EV (didn't have another $30k+ for a new one). Used Teslas are very expensive. Most other used EVs are fairly range-limited or need gas-burning range extenders. The Bolt emerged as the obvious answer.

I've poked around this excellent forum, and saw that Model 3s are not always well-regarded in the postings. From first-hand experience, I can only rave about our Model 3 -- but I won't go on about that here -- feelings about that car are beside the point. The point is that I'm LOVING the Bolt -- absolutely.

In the few days we've owned it, I've been thrilled to drive it -- not missing driving the Tesla (as I sometimes did when driving the Prius, excellent though it had been, even in old age). If neither car is being used, I've been opting for the Bolt when I need to run errands. The Bolt is solid and has great features, performance, range and utility. Several of the features and functionality are nice improvements over the Model 3's.

This Bolt has 50k miles on the odometer, but still charges to about 220 miles anticipated range -- plenty for my needs. This site's threads about reliability suggest that it won't have maintenance problems any time soon. (If anyone with a 50k+ miles on theirs can weigh in further on range changes and reliability, please don't hesitate.)

If a fortune teller had told me a week ago that in one week I'd be a Chevy-Bolt-owning Chevy Bolt fan, I would have laughed them out of the room. I had no negative opinion of the Bolt, mind you. (In fact, I envied the hatchback form-factor for an EV, compared to the Model 3's sedan trunk, etc.) But I was so amazed with the Model 3 that I didn't believe any other car could impress me. All I can say is that I'm a convert. I now love both of my EVs. I don't think any Bolt owner should trash-talk Model 3, and no Model 3 owner should ever trash-talk the Chevy Bolt. If you ask me, they should be united with their excellent choices in cars. (If there's any distain, it should be reserved for gas cars!)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes, welcome! I haven't seen too many Model 3 bashing posts but then again, I don't really "look" for such things. I stayed on the fence for about 2 weeks researching the Model 3 and Bolt and ended up landing on the Bolt side just because it was a better fit for me currently. I would have been happy with either car. I have to say I do envy you having both. ;) The Bolt is fun and quick. Having said that, I got my first ride in the performance version of the Model 3 a couple weeks ago and about crapped my pants. :D I think both vehicles do a good job at what they were designed to do!

Mike

·
Registered
540 Posts
My son has a Model 3, I have a Bolt. Both cars are reliable and fun to drive. The M3 fits his needs and the Bolt fits mine. We both feel we made the right choice based on our circumstances.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Excuse me while I trash talk a Model 3 OWNER, who unplugged my Bolt this morning, when there was a free "nozzle" available. Cost me about 10 cents worth of free electricity, the bleeper.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
There are a couple of people on here that love nothing more than to point out Tesla/Elon failings, and they have yet to explain if it's the company they so despise, or Elon. Musk has Trump-like personality traits that are off-putting, and it's understandable why people would want to see an egomaniac fail. Then there's people that just love to see successful people fail, as if there's some inverse relationship with prosperity and virtue.

Good to hear perspective from someone that owns both. Your comments seem to line up with others that have experience with both vehicles. If price were equal, I'd be inclined toward a Model 3 despite it not being a hatchback. Since price is not equal, I'm more inclined toward the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Best of both worlds... you have the Bolt for local driving/errands and the M3 (with more comfortable seating) for trips.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just took unexpected ownership of a 2017 Bolt. My 2004 Prius' hybrid battery died (for the second time -- the OEM battery lasted 12.5 years, the third party replacement only 3 years -- alas). As the battery weakened toward un-useability over over the course of a few days, it was an unplanned race against time to find another car. (After 225k miles of great reliability, various other expensive problems were finally mounting, making another battery replacement not worthwhile.)

We have a 13-month-old Model 3 and were determined to find another BEV as the Prius replacement. Searched every type of used EV (didn't have another $30k+ for a new one). Used Teslas are very expensive. Most other used EVs are fairly range-limited or need gas-burning range extenders. The Bolt emerged as the obvious answer.

I've poked around this excellent forum, and saw that Model 3s are not always well-regarded in the postings. From first-hand experience, I can only rave about our Model 3 -- but I won't go on about that here -- feelings about that car are beside the point. The point is that I'm LOVING the Bolt -- absolutely.

In the few days we've owned it, I've been thrilled to drive it -- not missing driving the Tesla (as I sometimes did when driving the Prius, excellent though it had been, even in old age). If neither car is being used, I've been opting for the Bolt when I need to run errands. The Bolt is solid and has great features, performance, range and utility. Several of the features and functionality are nice improvements over the Model 3's.

This Bolt has 50k miles on the odometer, but still charges to about 220 miles anticipated range -- plenty for my needs. This site's threads about reliability suggest that it won't have maintenance problems any time soon. (If anyone with a 50k+ miles on theirs can weigh in further on range changes and reliability, please don't hesitate.)

If a fortune teller had told me a week ago that in one week I'd be a Chevy-Bolt-owning Chevy Bolt fan, I would have laughed them out of the room. I had no negative opinion of the Bolt, mind you. (In fact, I envied the hatchback form-factor for an EV, compared to the Model 3's sedan trunk, etc.) But I was so amazed with the Model 3 that I didn't believe any other car could impress me. All I can say is that I'm a convert. I now love both of my EVs. I don't think any Bolt owner should trash-talk Model 3, and no Model 3 owner should ever trash-talk the Chevy Bolt. If you ask me, they should be united with their excellent choices in cars. (If there's any distain, it should be reserved for gas cars!)

Well said! Thanks so much for posting ... you've already made this forum a much kinder place! Kudos!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excuse me while I trash talk a Model 3 OWNER, who unplugged my Bolt this morning, when there was a free "nozzle" available. Cost me about 10 cents worth of free electricity, the bleeper.
I found both free charging stations occupied by Teslas this morning and caught myself while thinking, "those Tesla a$$holes!"

·
Registered
725 Posts
This Bolt has 50k miles on the odometer, but still charges to about 220 miles anticipated range -- plenty for my needs.
Keep in mind that the range on the GOM is massively variable. If you drive the car like you stole it at 80+ mph on the highway with lots of heavy acceleration that number will drop like a rock over time to reflect your driving style. If you drive gently in and around city traffic at 45 mph or less that number will rise like a hot air balloon over time.

It is my understanding that this range available behavior is not the case with a Tesla... please let me know if I am off base on that.

Keith

·
Registered
150 Posts
There are a couple of people on here that love nothing more than to point out Tesla/Elon failings, and they have yet to explain if it's the company they so despise, or Elon. Musk has Trump-like personality traits that are off-putting, and it's understandable why people would want to see an egomaniac fail. Then there's people that just love to see successful people fail, as if there's some inverse relationship with prosperity and virtue.

Good to hear perspective from someone that owns both. Your comments seem to line up with others that have experience with both vehicles. If price were equal, I'd be inclined toward a Model 3 despite it not being a hatchback. Since price is not equal, I'm more inclined toward the Bolt.
I would love to be a Tesla model 3 owner (with autopilot of coarse) but it wasn't in the pocket book at this time. I know Tesla will prevail... There is already so many good things coming down the road that are a lot closer to present because of Elon's vision. He changed the perception of EV's from being slow and undesirable by making an EV that is better (performance) than any car, EV or ICE. Not to mention the charging infrastructure investment tied to their success. I just wish I listened to myself (to buy stock) when the stock at $18 a share, then I WOULD be driving a Tesla now.... (probably a new model S P100D). Hindsight is 20/20.

·
Super Moderator
2,064 Posts

Congrats on converting to the "dark side". ;) As an everyday runner, the Bolt is a very versatile car indeed. Road tripping can be a pain and it doesn't have all the futuristic geez-whiz features of a Tesla, but anyone that wants a solid, reliable, affordable EV that just gets the job done every day, the Bolt is hard to top.

Regards to people on here being critical of the Model 3, I don't think there are actually that many posters that fit that bill. For actual car bashing, there is almost none of that here. But a decent number of folks do have an issue with Tesla the company (mainly Elon) and the fanbois. ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great post and I have stated the exact same thing. I owned a 2018 Bolt Premier for 6 months before trading it in for a model 3 ( Along with some extra cash:) )and agree that both are great EVs and the only reason I decided to go with M3 was I needed access to the Supercharger Network. In fact I would say that for my tastes, I actually preferred many aspects of the Bolt over the M3 ( Ability to sit up, Birdseye Camera and Apple Car Play). Bottom line is both are great EVs and the only th8 g I will fault GM for is not promoting this great car and not investing aggressively in charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is my understanding that this range available behavior is not the case with a Tesla... please let me know if I am off base on that.
The Bolt shows that battery estimate with the upper and lower estimates also showing -- which is nice. If I turn on or off the A/C, the estimates change immediately -- also nice. Tesla just shows a little phone-style battery/level icon and a single range number in miles -- it doesn't show upper and lower estimates and I don't think it changes immediately when adjusting heating or A/C. (It may be changing the estimate gradually, though.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Best of both worlds... you have the Bolt for local driving/errands and the M3 (with more comfortable seating) for trips.
-- and the Bolt's handy hatchback for better functionality when moving large items -- not to mention its roof-rack option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Regards to people on here being critical of the Model 3, I don't think there are actually that many posters that fit that bill. For actual car bashing, there is almost none of that here. But a decent number of folks do have an issue with Tesla the company (mainly Elon) and the fanbois. ;)
I don't think there are too many Model 3 bashers on this forum, really. I had come across a couple threads that had people on the "Model 3 build quality sucks" train, and things like that -- but I think they were fairly old posts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great post and I have stated the exact same thing. I owned a 2018 Bolt Premier for 6 months before trading it in for a model 3 ( Along with some extra cash:) )and agree that both are great EVs and the only reason I decided to go with M3 was I needed access to the Supercharger Network. In fact I would say that for my tastes, I actually preferred many aspects of the Bolt over the M3 ( Ability to sit up, Birdseye Camera and Apple Car Play). Bottom line is both are great EVs and the only th8 g I will fault GM for is not promoting this great car and not investing aggressively in charging infrastructure.
The Bolt features you listed are the same ones I wish Model 3 had -- in addition to the hatchback.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a M3 basher...but it just isn't the car for me. For many reasons I prefer my bolt over any other BEV offerings out there right now. Elon is another story...I think he shoots himself in the foot way too often but that seems to be less of a problem recently which is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts