Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Munro (same company that did the teardown of the Bolt for UBS (linked in an earlier post)) is doing a teardown of the Model 3. While I'm happy with my Bolt, I gotta admit I kinda wanted a Model 3 over a Bolt for the aesthetics, rear drive, moonroof, etc. But after seeing just the tease of the teardown, and hearing of some other production issues for the Model 3 (and the resultant waitlist), feeling even better about the Bolt:

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-by-engineering-firm-reveals-qual-1822678045

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why do you prefer rear drive? Because it's hard to fishtail with FWD? :)
Actually prefer AWD, but that would add too much to the cost and a bit of weight. RWD is a nice division of labour. Fronts steering and braking, rears motivating = no torque steer. I wonder if there would have been enough room under the false floor in the boot to place the motor and gear reduction there - maybe improve weight distribution (which I recognize is not a high priority for the Bolt). Maybe add a frunk? Would better weight distribution make it easier to get a better ride? As in make it easier to keep the suspension from getting out of sync?

But... cest la vie... all just musings. I mades my choices and paids my money :)

EDIT: Yup, sorry, should have placed this in the lounge. Still learning the structure. My apologies

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Actually prefer AWD, but that would add too much to the cost and a bit of weight. RWD is a nice division of labour. Fronts steering and braking, rears motivating = no torque steer. I wonder if there would have been enough room under the false floor in the boot to place the motor and gear reduction there - maybe improve weight distribution (which I recognize is not a high priority for the Bolt). Maybe add a frunk? Would better weight distribution make it easier to get a better ride? As in make it easier to keep the suspension from getting out of sync?

But... cest la vie... all just musings. I mades my choices and paids my money :)

EDIT: Yup, sorry, should have placed this in the lounge. Still learning the structure. My apologies
I am fairly certain that if GM had really wanted to add a rear motor/drive train, it would have been possible without altering the basic architecture of the Bolt. However, I don't think it would have greatly increased the overall desirability.

I know about the phenomenon of torque steering, but I have never experienced it after having driven probably 600K miles in the past 20 years in no fewer than 12 FWD vehicles.

But I remember how disproportionately hard it was to keep an RWD Omega and F-150 from plowing into every other snowbank on a moderately icy road ... too much excitement.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
We have discussed this on this forum before. My first car was an early Saab two stoke, FWD. It was THE best car in snow and ice back then. Nothing else came close. Modern FWD is moderately better, because of traction control. Unless you are trying to get moving in really deep snow, AWD is of little additional benefit.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have discussed this on this forum before. My first car was an early Saab two stoke, FWD. It was THE best car in snow and ice back then. Nothing else came close. Modern FWD is moderately better, because of traction control. Unless you are trying to get moving in really deep snow, AWD is of little additional benefit.
We live in an area that has spotty road maintenance - the tar seems to "float" to the surface. The result is some roads end up super slick - especially when wet. I've been sitting at the lights when they turn green and heard the front tires of the neighbors car spinning away - not trying to be fast. And while not scientific, the following video supports the AWD theory: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/videos/a31879/awd-vs-fwd-vs-rwd-which-is-fastest-around-the-track/

As for rear wheel drive excitment, I plan to get snow tires and would have if it were RWD.

And obviously it's not a deal breaker. I bought a Bolt after all. Just a musing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts