Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Looks better than my Bolt. Still have a deposit on one.
It absolutely looks better. The question is, will it work better for you and will it be cheaper for you in the end? No doubt about it, the Model 3 will make your neighbors come over and go "Wow!!". With the Bolt they assume you bought a new Honda Fit.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Looks better than my Bolt. Still have a deposit on one.
It doesn't have a rear hatch like the Bolt EV, so that long roof glass will reduce cargo height. That means a very small rear trunk, and no reports of a "frunk" has been posted, so you will lose passenger and cargo space.:(

I would stay with the Bolt EV!

·
Registered
786 Posts
https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/02/08/model-3-test-production-to-begin-february-20-report/

Just a test production with real production scheduled for July.

Maybe we will see some quantity of Model 3's this year.
GM with its 100+ year old history, has a much better test program for new vehicles. In 2015 for the new Bolt EV they had "alpha" test vehicles running on their proving grounds, and in early 2016 they had the "beta" test vehicles that the press did sample driving. All together GM did over 18 months (1.5 years) of tests before the final production in October 2016 and first sales in December 2016.:)

This news is mostly for the first "alpha" vehicles, which are not sold but used internally, and maybe for crash tests by the NHTSA and IIHS later. Tesla Motors shortens their test programs because they have to recover the development costs sooner (GM sells other cars that compensate for developmment costs). Present Model X vehicles are still running "beta" tests with their owners! Visit their comments pages and see how many are complaints.

The Chevy Bolt EV is well proved and tested by now. And it only lacks "visual appeal", because it is better than the Model 3 in cargo space (more than the Model S!), EV range, and passenger comfort (better ride height, flat floor from door to door). Read and see all this for yourselves.

Don't let the Model 3 hype take you away! You may be making a costly mistake if you buy a Model 3 too soon.:eek:

·
Registered
368 Posts
The Chevy Bolt EV is well proved and tested by now. And it only lacks "visual appeal", because it is better than the Model 3 in cargo space (more than the Model S!)
No. The Bolt has much LESS cargo space than does the Model S. Bolt: 16.9 cu ft, Model S: 31.6 cu ft

·
Registered
506 Posts
If Musk can deliver on all his promises, the Model 3 will be amazing. On the other hand, he is talking about manned flight to Mars in about 10 years. Does he know that the cosmic ray flux adsorbed by the passengers is enough so they won't remember where they went. Oh, I guess that is just a technical detail, but NASA is certainly worried about it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
On the other side, VW just sent me an ad that the cost to lease a 2016 eGolf was $49./month. Those have an 80 or 90 mile range and the 2017 eGolf has yet to appear. Anyway, they must be having trouble clearing out the 2016 eGolf's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On the other side, VW just sent me an ad that the cost to lease a 2016 eGolf was $49./month. Those have an 80 or 90 mile range and the 2017 eGolf has yet to appear. Anyway, they must be having trouble clearing out the 2016 eGolf's.
Yep. Last year's Ford Focus EV (with 72ish mile range and no DCFC) is on a bargain lease too.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Meanwhile back in reality, this is not actually a production run of cars, this is an alpha-test for building a high-volume car factory, which is a much more complex thing to create.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exact;y what Raymondjram said! Tesla will make only a few test cars now to distract from their upcoming earnings release. Expect alphas by end pf this year, then betas delivered to customers early next year.
Don't be a fool and pay top money for these alpha cars. Model X signature owners had a terrible experience.
It will be end of 2018 before quality of model 3 will be good enough for average buyers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It absolutely looks better. The question is, will it work better for you and will it be cheaper for you in the end? No doubt about it, the Model 3 will make your neighbors come over and go "Wow!!". With the Bolt they assume you bought a new Honda Fit.
Tesla is bumping its annual service cost, about $800 a year I think. How's the Bolt service plan? First 2 years free?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Actually, 3 full years/36,000 miles full bumper to bumper warranty, and more than that for the drivetrain.
8 years on battery against defects or significant loss of range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, 3 full years/36,000 miles full bumper to bumper warranty, and more than that for the drivetrain.
8 years on battery against defects or significant loss of range.
Did you reply to me? I was asking about the annual service plan. Is the annual maintenance service free for the first 2 years for Bolt? It's probably just tire rotation and some inspection.

Speaking of warranty: Was there an option for extended warranty? It is very difficult to find extended warranty for electric cars. I'm not sure why. I hope Chevy dealers start offering extended warranties soon for Bolt.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Did you reply to me? I was asking about the annual service plan. Is the annual maintenance service free for the first 2 years for Bolt? It's probably just tire rotation and some inspection.

Speaking of warranty: Was there an option for extended warranty? It is very difficult to find extended warranty for electric cars. I'm not sure why. I hope Chevy dealers start offering extended warranties soon for Bolt.
They started over a month ago. They offered me six years, unlimited bumper to bumper. I kept refusing, and they kept cutting the price. Got down to ~$1,300 and I still declined.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
We still haven't seen the production version of the model 3, all we've seen so far has been the concept model and I recall the trunk being odd with a small opening for access. The concept did have a frunk but it's pretty tiny.

Best to wait and sit in one before making a final decision.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts