Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy has the Volt and the upcoming Bolt, and Tesla is going to keep up with them by offering the Model 3 as both a sedan and a crossover. That news comes from Tesla Motors Chief Technical Officer JB Straubel via the Wall Street Journal.

I wonder how much different the two body variants will look from one another. I don't expect the crossover to be a smaller version of the Model X. I think this is a smart move on Tesla's part though. Two models for the price of one and they are competing with all the crossovers that are coming out from other brands.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a25909/tesla-model-3-sedan-and-crossover/

·
Registered
639 Posts
Indeed a good move from them.

Great way to use that platform to a greater extent and at the same time leverage some of the industries biggest markets.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a really good move. Two vehicles instead of one, and they are covering the really hot CUV segment as well. Once Tesla has the Model X and Model 3 out, they will be a much bigger player in the auto industry. Taking their lineup from 1 car to 3 (or 4 depending how you look at it) will do great things for them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It is a really good move. Two vehicles instead of one, and they are covering the really hot CUV segment as well. Once Tesla has the Model X and Model 3 out, they will be a much bigger player in the auto industry. Taking their lineup from 1 car to 3 (or 4 depending how you look at it) will do great things for them.
They still have to produce them and they still have to sell them. There are a few corners of the internet who feel that the model S will never get to $30K as promised because Musk has never been able to deliver anything he promised. Even his projected price before the model S debuted changed. Trust nothing until its concrete and in your hands...

·
Registered
639 Posts
It will be best for them if they price is within the market or even slightly above if they want to carry on an leverage a premium status which they seem to have.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They still have to produce them and they still have to sell them. There are a few corners of the internet who feel that the model S will never get to $30K as promised because Musk has never been able to deliver anything he promised. Even his projected price before the model S debuted changed. Trust nothing until its concrete and in your hands...
I agree with you in part but I think you also have to believe he is at least trying to meet his promises. I think a lot will depend on this gigafactory. Then he will be working more with economies of scale.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts