Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Bolt so I am not in the early replacement timeline. I am so confused if they are going to replace the battery pack or just modules on the new models.... I dont like the idea of them cracking open my battery to just replace some modules... any info would greatly appreciated

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
199 Posts
I have a 2020 Bolt so I am not in the early replacement timeline. I am so confused if they are going to replace the battery pack or just modules on the new models.... I dont like the idea of them cracking open my battery to just replace some modules... any info would greatly appreciated
Don't worry too much about it. It's VERY unlikely that they'll do anything else than replace all the batteries whole. LG is paying most of the bill and I'm sure GM wants this to go away as fast as possible. They would have to spend 10X more effort on their dime to analyze, remove from car, crack open, replace the module(s), put it all back together, test it, calibrate it and reinstall it in the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't worry too much about it. It's VERY unlikely that they'll do anything else than replace all the batteries whole. LG is paying most of the bill and I'm sure GM wants this to go away as fast as possible. They would have to spend 10X more effort on their dime to analyze, remove from car, crack open, replace the module(s), put it all back together, test it, calibrate it and reinstall it in the car.
Dealer says they will do the whole pack.... Just like to see it come in "Black n White" from Chevy... top brass

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope so has kind of been the only bright spot I can see in all this..... I buy a car to drive into the ground and it would be nice in a few months to a year... get a new battery pack with new warranty ... for 8 yrs 100,000 .... do love the little car have wanted one for years... just didnt have the range... ... that I felt was useful... except Tesla ... which I dont like the style of ... or price ..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hope so has kind of been the only bright spot I can see in all this..... I buy a car to drive into the ground and it would be nice in a few months to a year... get a new battery pack with new warranty ... for 8 yrs 100,000 .... do love the little car have wanted one for years... just didnt have the range... ... that I felt was useful... except Tesla ... which I dont like the style of ... or price ..
I know what you mean. I bought mine new in Sept. '19. Drove it for 6 months before the pandemic hit, then 8 months until this issue started and then a year of double restrictions.
Definitely not the experience I was dreaming of. Let's keep focusing on this silver lining to get us through.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you mean. I bought mine new in Sept. '19. Drove it for 6 months before the pandemic hit, then 8 months until this issue started and then a year of double restrictions.
Definitely not the experience I was dreaming of. Let's keep focusing on this silver lining to get us through.
Well it has been a joy to have other than the "Dark Cloud" hanging over it....

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Dealer says they will do the whole pack.... Just like to see it come in "Black n White" from Chevy... top brass
Current service instructions to dealers specify that dealers replace entire packs.

The battery part number mentioned is listed as "refurbished". It looks like new lithium ion modules may be placed in returned battery chassis to produce refurbished batteries that may be used for future replacements.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
422 Posts
Current service instructions to dealers specify that dealers replace entire packs.

The battery part number mentioned is listed as "refurbished". It looks like new lithium ion modules may be placed in returned battery chassis to produce refurbished batteries that may be used for future replacements.
That may where the "refurb" comment in the other thread came from. Thanks.

GM did say, for the older (60kwh) batteries, that it would be all-new module(s). There were many discussions about that here, since potentially that would mean opening up the battery and replacing the guts at the dealer, but the service instructions posted here make it clear that the entire battery is replaced as a unit. Whether parts like the outside box are reused isn't really relevant as long as the battery itself, inside, is all-new.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
That may where the "refurb" comment in the other thread came from. Thanks.

GM did say, for the older (60kwh) batteries, that it would be all-new module(s). There were many discussions about that here, since potentially that would mean opening up the battery and replacing the guts at the dealer, but the service instructions posted here make it clear that the entire battery is replaced as a unit. Whether parts like the outside box are reused isn't really relevant as long as the battery itself, inside, is all-new.
It is unlikely that GM will have dealers replace modules in batteries, due to that slowing down the process. However, the returned batteries can be refurbished with new lithium-ion modules at centralized refurbishment locations and then sent out as replacement batteries for the next round of replacements.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Our replacement battery just arrived at the dealer - who will replace it whole in the next couple of days and return the core to GM. I understood (correct me if I'm misinformed) that LG was going to refurbish these batteries and sell them on to others for standby and stationary backup power - not back to GM for replacements.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I understood (correct me if I'm misinformed) that LG was going to refurbish these batteries and sell them on to others for standby and stationary backup power - not back to GM for replacements.
I doubt this would happen. Here's why:
The cells inside are considered "at risk", this is why they are replacing our batteries so they'd need to replace them. Why would they want Bolt form factor boxes to go into backup power units? I don't think it makes sense but I could be wrong. It's been known to happen ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is unlikely that GM will have dealers replace modules in batteries, due to that slowing down the process. However, the returned batteries can be refurbished with new lithium-ion modules at centralized refurbishment locations and then sent out as replacement batteries for the next round of replacements.
Well I think I am ok with "factory rebuilt battery" if it is all new modules.... much prefer it to just be a totally new pack

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I understood (correct me if I'm misinformed) that LG was going to refurbish these batteries and sell them on to others for standby and stationary backup power - not back to GM for replacements.
I doubt this would happen. Here's why:
The cells inside are considered "at risk", this is why they are replacing our batteries so they'd need to replace them. Why would they want Bolt form factor boxes to go into backup power units? I don't think it makes sense but I could be wrong. It's been known to happen ;)
This is sheer speculation, but it's quite possible that GM or LG has determined a way to test the individual cells for the risk. It's a lot more feasible to do this with the equipment at their own facilities with the disassembled cells than it ever would be at dealers in the field. And so if they have the capability then it might well make economic sense for them to test the cells and then resell them as "refurbished" if they pass.

·
Registered
991 Posts
GM calls the entire battery pack a MODULE. This is also been confirmed by reading their latest documents which you can find by googling it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is sheer speculation, but it's quite possible that GM or LG has determined a way to test the individual cells for the risk. It's a lot more feasible to do this with the equipment at their own facilities with the disassembled cells than it ever would be at dealers in the field. And so if they have the capability then it might well make economic sense for them to test the cells and then resell them as "refurbished" if they pass.
It's definitely possible... God knows they'll have enough specimens to play around with. It's good if they can do more with them than straight recycle them for the minerals.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt Premier
2 Posts
They replaced my whole battery pack.
Wheel Gas Engineering Composite material Tire

Wood Yellow Hardwood Tartan Box

1 - 20 of 20 Posts