Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Hi hoping to take 2019 Bolt EV to Tahoe from LA? But coso junction hasn鈥檛 opened. Anyone done this trip successfully ?
Surprisingly, there is only about 1,000' in net elevation difference between Bishop and Mojave; however, you're going the wrong way to benefit. I believe in my trip (video above), I left Bishop with ~85% battery and arrived in Mojave with ~5% battery. Conditions are likely going to be better for you now (I was driving back in partial snow and winds), but I wouldn't bank on it for a trip like that. The minimum I'd suggest leaving Mojave with is about 90% battery, and you might need to keep your speed down (as I recall, I was driving posted speeds to at most 5 mph over).

I'm really not sure what the hold up is with Coso Junction because the site was physically completed months ago (it was completed when I made the above trip). It must be more of California's shenanigans and utilities dragging their feet on installing new transformers.

Registered
With Coso Junction, Inyokern and Division Creek 'coming soon' back in the winter (February), I was hopeful we'd see something before the end of the summer, but so far, crickets. I understand transformers take forever and a half to install, but there aren't even any public L2s between Mojave and Bishop - just occasional RV parks.

Registered
Sorry I don鈥檛. But I had over 50 miles left I believe
No worries. I was just hoping to get another data point for what Bolt EV owners can expect heading north from Mojave. That should be pretty close to 20% to 25% battery. It depends how long you charged on 120 V, but that sounds about right. Hopefully, it's a moot point soon, as we really need Coso Junction to come online.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.