Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to have dedicated winter tires on my cars as we get some pretty sloppy conditions here from time to time and winter tires make a huge difference in handling vs. the all-season OEM Bolt tires.
I have a almost new set of Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c (215/55R17) tires from my 2014 Volt, I going to use them on my Bolt. Of course the GenI Volt wheels don't fit the Bolt, so I had to find new wheels for the existing tires.
The stock Bolt tires are 215/50R17 and my winter tires are 215/55R17.

I found some reasonably price wheels on ebay ($99 each) which will work with my tires:
Rim Brand: Raceline
Rim Structure: One Piece
Model: 198B Vector
Manufacturer Part Number: 198B-77085
Rim Material: Alloy
Number of Bolts: 5
Rim Width: 7
Rim Diameter: 17
Offset: 40
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3, 5x115, 5x105,
Hub Bore: 72.62

I was also able to use the 2014 Volt TPMS sensors on the new wheels- the learning tool works with the Bolt too.

Mounted & balanced the new tires last weekend, and test fitted one on the right front position, left the stock Premier wheel on the back for comparison.
Because the OEM wheels are 44mm offset and my aftermarket wheels are 40mm offset- it did move the tire in 4mm... and there's not much space back there to begin with. Being 55 series vs. 50 (OEM tires) the new tire diameter is a bit larger too. Between the lower offset and and the slightly larger diameter vs. 50 series OEM tires... it just fits.... with literally a 1/4" in clearance between the tire top inside edge and the strut lower spring support- luckily, that distance never changes as the wheel assembly is part of the strut mount. I did a test in my driveway turning full left to right and the tire never rubbed inside the fender well, but it's pretty close there too.
Takeaway... 40mm offset 7" wide wheel will just barely work with a 55 series tire, 50 series should be fine though.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot... ordered "open" M12x1.5 lugnuts since the stock lugs were just a mm or 2 too long and interfered with the new wheel's hub cap.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Looks good. Did you also use a bushing for the center bore difference, or just figure the lug nuts will center it up?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I'm kind of liking these offered over at Tire Rack.

They are a 1/2" wider than stock, but they say they will work. I'd be using my stock tires. My only reservation is they look like a PITA to clean!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ny-Rob

Those winter tires look fantastic!

Keep us updated as you start driving around to let us know if something unexpected happens with the sizing.

Maybe a stupid question...since the outside circumference of the tire looks a bit bigger, does this mean that speedo and possibly range calculations may be slightly off?

Not sure how speed is calculated in an electric car...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks good. Did you also use a bushing for the center bore difference, or just figure the lug nuts will center it up?
Got the "4 Pieces - Hub Centric Rings - 72.6mm OD to 56.6mm ID - Yellow Poly Carbon Hub Rings" from Amazon- $7.50
They fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm kind of liking these offered over at Tire Rack.

They are a 1/2" wider than stock, but they say they will work. I'd be using my stock tires. My only reservation is they look like a PITA to clean!
IIRC the stock wheels ate 6.5"(?) wide, the Verde Regency are 7.5"... a full inch wider.
Stock rims are 44mm offset, the Regency are 40mm offset. Less offset moves the tire in....
Might be a close fit, wider rim and more inboard.
Not a lot of backspace between the tire and strut spring lower support to begin with... take a look at one of the front tires as is.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ny-Rob
Those winter tires look fantastic!
Thanks, I'm really warming up to them... I think they actually look better than the OEM Premier wheels.
At $99 ea (ebay) I think they're a steal!

One fellow at work needs a replacement OEM wheel for his 2015 Volvo... $650!

Keep us updated as you start driving around to let us know if something unexpected happens with the sizing.
Will do!
If worse comes to worse I'll have to bite the bullet and buy 50 series winter tires.
I'm only using 55 series because I already had them from my 2014 Volt.

Since the outside circumference of the tire looks a bit bigger, does this mean that speedo and possibly range calculations may be slightly off?
You are correct, due to the winter tires being slightly larger then the stock tires my spedo will read 60mph, the car will be going 61.88mph.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
IIRC the stock wheels ate 6.5"(?) wide, the Verde Regency are 7.5"... a full inch wider.
Stock rims are 44mm offset, the Regency are 40mm offset. Less offset moves the tire in....
Might be a close fit, wider rim and more inboard.
Not a lot of backspace between the tire and strut spring lower support to begin with... take a look at one of the front tires as is.
I was of the understanding that the stock wheels are 7" wide. These were suggested by Tire Rack to fit the Bolt, so I'm guessing they have checked.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tirerack has the OEM wheel width wrong, it's 6.5" not 7".
Ladogaboy did a video on the bolt tire/wheel setup at 3:28 he shows the back of the wheel with the sizing cast into the rim...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There was a post in this section not long ago regarding wider width rims...

As far as I can see, a 7" wheel should fit, and 7.5" maybe. Let me know how 8" works out for you if you have actually tried to test-fit one.
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/9586-has-anyone-fitted-18x8-wheel-3.html#post122434

Maybe if the offset was the same 44mm as the OEM wheels, but the 40mm offset moves the wheel in closer and the wheel is 1" wider than stock too.

7.5" wheel with 40mm offset might be a problem?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It's the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the surface of the wheel mounting flange.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like the Bolt wheels have positive offset, so them a lower number will move the wheel out...:confused:
Sorry for the confusion!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went with a 16" rim for my snow tires because of the significant savings in tire price. Mine are 6.5" width with a +40 offset and they fit fine.
Though I had them test fit them on the front before I bought them. KalTire set me up well!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went with a 16" rim for my snow tires because of the significant savings in tire price. Mine are 6.5" width with a +40 offset and they fit fine.
Though I had them test fit them on the front before I bought them. KalTire set me up well!
Can you please share what tire size it was and if you feel that ride got a little softer/smoother with them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you happen to ask about/have them fit 15" tires?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It looks like 17" x 7" is the only real aftermarket choice. What would the offset be for the 17" x 7" to keep the center of the tire in the same location as the 17 x 6.5 with +44 offset?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Backspacing would be more with a wider wheel, but offset would be the same if you want the tire centered at the same point. Usually there is more clearance outward than inward, so the offsets tend to get smaller as you go wider to clear the struts. TR fitments are are 38 to 42 for 17x7.5 wheels. That tells you there is some room.

I'm trying to figure this out too. The listed choices on TR-
15x7 are 35
16x7 are 35 to 40.
16x7.5 are 38 to 42
17x7 are 40.
17x7.5 are 38 to 42
18x7.5 are 38 to 40
18x8 are 38 to 45
I would guess the wheel clears the strut better with an 18 which allows a stock offset unlike with the smaller diameter wheels. Probably also the reason a 20x8.5 fits the bolt at all.

As shown here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298574

If you put your hand inside the wheel well you can feel the strut and how much space there is. Its not much. The list of tested fitments is only a dozen data points, but its something to work with.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ funny you asked....

It's supposed to be 50+ deg here tomorrow... I was planning on washing the Bolt.

I'll take some pix for you after washing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts