Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past several months I've not needed fast charging, so I guess I'd kinda forgotten how frustrating EA stations can be.

I made a 300+ mile round trip for an HVAC part in short supply to get a client up and running for the weekend.

At Savannah It took 5 attempts using a total of 4 connectors on 3 different charge stations to recharge my Bolt. In addition, there was all the usual wrestling with the ridiculously, short, thick, stiff and heavy charging cables while unable to read displays washed out by bright sunlight and trying not to drop my phone talking to EA tech support.

I love my Bolt and EVs and generally, but EA takes all the fun right out of it - no more EV road trips until I can afford a Tesla. Mainstream America will simply not put up with this unless gas goes up to $7 per gallon.

The infra we have now is nowhere near ready for prime time and I don't foresee when it will ever be.

·
Registered
316 Posts
For the past several months I've not needed fast charging, so I guess I'd kinda forgotten how frustrating EA stations can be.

I made a 300+ mile round trip for an HVAC part in short supply to get a client up and running for the weekend.

At Savannah It took 5 attempts using a total of 4 connectors on 3 different charge stations to recharge my Bolt. In addition, there was all the usual wrestling with the ridiculously, short, thick, stiff and heavy charging cables while unable to read displays washed out by bright sunlight and trying not to drop my phone talking to EA tech support.

I love my Bolt and EVs and generally, but EA takes all the fun right out of it - no more EV road trips until I can afford a Tesla. Mainstream America will simply not put up with this unless gas goes up to $7 per gallon.

The infra we have now is nowhere near ready for prime time and I don't foresee when it will ever be.
Yes, I concur. My Bolt is a wonderful, fun car. I just can't use it for serious travel (unless I want an adventure...). I'm basically compelled, for my distance travel EV, to buy a Tesla (intend to pick up a model Y this Fall).

Rich

·
Registered
270 Posts
Had same problem with EA last March. Six stations and only two worked. Had a badly sprained ankle and had to hobble from display to display with Tech on phone to figure out which one was working. I can't wait to see the state of affairs when all the new brands of EVs come online. Sad. Now I'm holding onto an ICE I don't really need most of the time because I have had too many bad experiences with DCFC on the I-5 corridor. It almost seems like a conspiracy.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I went to my local EA yesterday. There are 4 stations, each with two plugs (one plug is ChaDeMo). Plugshare reported good success with station 3. I pulled up to station 3 and tried both plugs without success. It would start for a few seconds then quit. Same story for stations 1 and 2. I then tried station 4 and it started up on the first try. Just to be sure, I went back to station 3 and tried multiple times with no success. I then returned to station 1 and it started up the first time, again.
Before someone asks, I was holding up the plug each time and was mostly using the app. I tried my credit card once but that didn't work either.
EA has a FB page and I sent them a message, telling them my story, asking for them to get back to me when stations 1-3 are fixed. They replied and said they would send me a message when they are fixed.
Edit: I should add that others have posted they have no issues with EA. I don't get it. Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right or something.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I haven't used the EA fast chargers a whole lot, but I've been pretty happy with them once I learned to hold the cable plug while activating so that the sideways pull on the socket doesn't prevent the car's safety latch from engaging. In my experience it's the latch failing to engage that causes the activation failures - you can see what's happening if you look closely at the port while activating the station.

To do this I use the phone app to activate the charger, since it's usually too much of a stretch to touch the charge station's screen and support the plug at the same time. You have to be careful to find and read the station's ID off the screen and make sure you activate the correct charger, but that's the only really tricky part of it that I've found.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't used the EA fast chargers a whole lot, but I've been pretty happy with them once I learned to hold the cable plug while activating so that the sideways pull on the socket doesn't prevent the car's safety latch from engaging. In my experience it's the latch failing to engage that causes the activation failures - you can see what's happening if you look closely at the port while activating the station.

To do this I use the phone app to activate the charger, since it's usually too much of a stretch to touch the charge station's screen and support the plug at the same time. You have to be careful to find and read the station's ID off the screen and make sure you activate the correct charger, but that's the only really tricky part of it that I've found.
Having used EA stations 50+ times, I have the starting process (...'lift the hose / touch your toes'...) down pat. At Savannah I was plagued not with activation failures but with charging sessions that prematurely stopped anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes after starting. The sole saving grace of 30-60 minute charging sessions is to be able to go off and shop , eat etc, but Savannah was a total fail in that regard. Fortunately, we didn't experience those issues at Brunswick and I was able to buy and eat a sandwich uninterrupted by balky chargers and then continue home.

But let me reiterate, this infra is nowhere near ready for prime time, leaving Tesla the sole choice for folks serious about an EV realistically capable of longer trips.

·
Registered
424 Posts
But let me reiterate, this infra is nowhere near ready for prime time, leaving Tesla the sole choice for folks serious about an EV realistically capable of longer trips.
And prime time is coming. The VW ID.4 will be here before we know it. EA better get their act together or VW will have a lot of EV's sitting on their lots.....
Edit: The really frustrating thing is that these issues are reported yet don't seem to get fixed. As you pointed out, some chargers are better than others. Why can't they all be good chargers?

·
Registered
993 Posts
And prime time is coming. The VW ID.4 will be here before we know it. EA better get their act together or VW will have a lot of EV's sitting on their lots.....
Edit: The really frustrating thing is that these issues are reported yet don't seem to get fixed. As you pointed out, some chargers are better than others. Why can't they all be good chargers?
Because in the rush to get the network installed they used 4 different manufacturers of equipment.

Some of the equipment is better than others, and software that has to work across 4 platforms is more complex and prone to fault than a mono-culture of design.

Keith

·
Registered
424 Posts
Because in the rush to get the network installed they used 4 different manufacturers of equipment.
Some of the equipment is better than others, and software that has to work across 4 platforms is more complex and prone to fault than a mono-culture of design.
Keith
That may very well be the case, but I don't see them doing anything to fix it. That's the frustrating part....no fixes for the problem chargers.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
That may very well be the case, but I don't see them doing anything to fix it. That's the frustrating part....no fixes for the problem chargers.
I actually think that they have rolled out quite a few fixes. (For example, Spark EVs just couldn't charge at ONE vendor's units. It took them a while, but the problem is now fixed.) They seem to be "somewhat" responsive to feedback.

Regarding "VW will be screwed if EA doesn't fix the (generic) problems", .... uh, what if all the VW EVs have "plug and pay" functionality right out of the gate, and it always works? Hmmm. ....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts