Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Does EA have a new issue? My wife and I drove from the DFW area to Austin on Memorial Day for a day trip to visit our daughter. We stopped at the Bellmead/Waco location going both directions and observed reduced charge rates. The peak rate was about 33kW when I expected ~54. In Austin we charged at a ChargePoint site and observed the expected rate. I left feedback for EA via the email receipt they send, but haven’t received a response yet The two sessions were on different chargers - one was a 350 and the other was a 150. Looking at plugshare chech-in comments for some other EA locations in Texas recently, I saw a similar comment from a Bolt user at the Sweetwater location in late May. I’ve used this and one other EA location multiple times and never observed this phenomenon before. I’m primarily concerned because my son and I are planning a trip to Guadalupe national park in a few weeks and we’ll rely on the EA locations on I-20 exclusively. 33 vs 54kW will cost a lot of time!
I have noticed that issue popping up more where the chargers are only outputting 33 kW. They've definitely been derated to only 100 A, and I'm not sure why. It's possible that there's a malfunction in the coolant system, so the charger automatically reduces its charging speed to prevent damage. This mostly occurs on new installations, so my assumption is that it's a problem with the contractor who improperly installed the equipment.

For what it's worth, Electrify America is the only public charging provider I've used frequently that still has a 100% success rate at a site level. They've had a few close calls (i.e., only one charger functioning at the site), but I've always been able to activate a charge. I can't say the same for ChargePoint and EVgo. Recargo only has one site, and I've only used EV Connect and GreenLots a handful of times.

At this point, if I had to rank reliability on a per-charger basis, it would be:
#1: EVgo (by a wide margin)
#2: Recargo
#3: ChargePoint
#4: Electrify America
*EV Connect and GreenLots TBD.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
At this point, if I had to rank reliability on a per-charger basis, it would be:
I have nowhere near your experience, and have only used EVgo, ChargePoint, Greenlots, and EA fast chargers here on the east coast. For those I have used, my ranking would match yours. I would rank Greenlots with EA. The difference being, you have only one charger for Greenlots.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have noticed that issue popping up more where the chargers are only outputting 33 kW. They've definitely been derated to only 100 A, and I'm not sure why.
Last summer, the chargers on the east coast were de-reated, I think because the high currents caused overheating. EA announced this on Plugshare for each charger that was affected. Maybe the same thing is happening this summer but they haven't announced it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Last summer, the chargers on the east coast were de-reated, I think because the high currents caused overheating. EA announced this on Plugshare for each charger that was affected. Maybe the same thing is happening this summer but they haven't announced it.
That is what made me think this could be a coolant problem; however, the issue you're referring to is specific to Efacec, who sold chargers with a defect in the coolant system. As far as I know, Electrify America was the only North American company who had purchased those chargers and was affected, but the derating of those Efacec chargers was a global safety issue that affected a number of networks.

This 100 A restriction for EA appears to only occur on their ABB Terra HP units, which are used by other companies such as EVgo (I haven't noticed the same issue at EVgo). EA's other chargers can have problems, too, but they seem different. I had an issue with a couple of their Signet chargers where the charger attempted to push more than 150 A into the Bolt EV (The charging speed ramped straight up to 66 kW, and I think it was my Bolt EV that actually shut the session down). The BTC Power units will also have occasional errors, but so far, I think they are the most reliable and universally compatible units (other than early reports I read from Honda Clarity owners who claimed the BTC Power units were bricking their cars, but frankly, I'm more inclined to believe Honda was at fault for the error).

At this point, I think the two best DC chargers from a hardware perspective at this point are the ChargePoint CPE 250 and the BTC Power HPTC. Luckily, EA is using the latter, and I hope that BTC Power makes up the lion's share of EA's future implementations.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
168 Posts
I would absolutely agree with EVGo being number one and ChargePoint would be right there at 1A for me as I’ve never had a problem with them. That said, every one I’ve seen has been Level Two, so it’s not as practical. Never used nor seen Recargo and EA has been awful for me. The one time I saw and used GreenLots in the Sacramento area, both units failed.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I would absolutely agree with EVGo being number one and ChargePoint would be right there at 1A for me as I’ve never had a problem with them. That said, every one I’ve seen has been Level Two, so it’s not as practical. Never used nor seen Recargo and EA has been awful for me. The one time I saw and used GreenLots in the Sacramento area, both units failed.
I just restarted my GreenLots app. This is the first time I've done so since Shell took them over. The app already runs better, but I'll reserve judgment until after I have a chance to use a few of their sites.

The GreenLots site at the airport used to be okay (an older Efacec unit, IIRC), but it started to slip in reliability. They really needed a second DCFC on that side (they had plenty of room), but with the eight Electrify America BTC Power chargers that went in next to the AM/PM across the street, the GreenLots site is basically just a backup for me now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to share my latest frustration with EA. The last few times i've had to DCFC the 350KW units initialized fine, started charging fine, but would ramp up to 66kw/70kw pretty quickly - then stop charging. My guess is the bolt actually stopped the charging to prevent damage. This has happened on several of the 350KW units... both times, I was able to use the 150KW units to charge, and those worked fine.

Just yesterday, I tried one of the 350KW units that was working just fine for someone with a Kona Electric, they finished charging and left, I pulled into their spot and same problem.. starts, ramps up to 70KW and charging is then terminated (again, my guess by the bolt). Could it be a SW incompatibility issue that's causing this?

Edit - forgot to mention this is on a 2020 Bolt. and yay for first post.. been lurking a while now :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
but would ramp up to 66kw/70kw pretty quickly
Are you positive about this? The Bolt maxes out at 55kW, so if you're actually seeing 70 then I'd wager you have a software problem. The charge stopping is likely a safety feature kicking in, possibly something overheating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you positive about this? The Bolt maxes out at 55kW, so if you're actually seeing 70 then I'd wager you have a software problem. The charge stopping is likely a safety feature kicking in, possibly something overheating.
Yep.. I know the Bolt maxes out at 55KW so it was shocking to me to see it ramp up to 70kw. I don't think much, if any charge got delivered before the charging is terminated (basically ramps up to 70KW quickly, and stops immediately). looking at plug-share for that station/location, it appears the start/stop is a common occurrence.. but just for Bolt EV owners. The other makes seem to be charging ok... which makes me wonder if there is a SW compatibility issue b/w the 350KW units and the bolts - especially since the 150KW units worked fine for me every time.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Just wanted to share my latest frustration with EA. The last few times i've had to DCFC the 350KW units initialized fine, started charging fine, but would ramp up to 66kw/70kw pretty quickly - then stop charging. My guess is the bolt actually stopped the charging to prevent damage. This has happened on several of the 350KW units... both times, I was able to use the 150KW units to charge, and those worked fine.

Just yesterday, I tried one of the 350KW units that was working just fine for someone with a Kona Electric, they finished charging and left, I pulled into their spot and same problem.. starts, ramps up to 70KW and charging is then terminated (again, my guess by the bolt). Could it be a SW incompatibility issue that's causing this?

Edit - forgot to mention this is on a 2020 Bolt. and yay for first post.. been lurking a while now :)
Do you recall who made the chargers or where they were located?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Someone posting about their Bolt EV road trip in a Bolt EV Facebook group reminded me that, beyond Electrify America, certain chargers are more reliable than other chargers. I haven't culled outside data, so this is based purely on my own experience, but here's how I would rank the most common public chargers in terms of their reliability:

#1. ChargePoint CPE 250 (this is the new unit being produced by ChargePoint in-house)
#2. BTC Power HPC (these are BTC Power's high-power 150 kW to 350 kW units being used by Electrify America, EVgo, Recargo, and others)
#3. Signet (I'm not sure of the specific model used by Electrify America)
#4. ABB Terra 53 (these are the 50 kW units used primarily by EVgo)
#5. BTC Power Slim Line (these are their 50 kW units used by a number of providers... Electrify America, EV Connect, EVgo, etc.)
#6. Tritium Veefil (used by a number of providers, but most know for as ChargePoint units)
#7. BTC Power Standard Box (these are often only 100 A, and used primarily by EVgo)
#8. ABB Terra HP (these are 150 to 350 kW used primarily by Electrify America, but EVgo also has a few)

There are other units, of course, but these are the ones I most often use. I'd say that this ranking presents a pretty broad spectrum of reliability/success rates ranging from near 100% for the ChargePoint CPE (the only failure I can recall was pre-release on the unit at ChargePoint's headquarters) to as low as maybe 70% for the ABB Terra HP. To be fair to the other units, there's a pretty steep drop off from #7 to #8. That is to say, I think the BTC Standard Box chargers are still >90% reliable.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Yesterday, I pulled up the EA app after not checking it since the middle of March. It shows all locations as coming soon!? PlugShare shows recent usage, but EA's app seems to be inactive. I am not going to go to our local EA site to see if the app recognizes the units as active. Anybody have an idea? Is it just my phone, or are others seeing this?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Yesterday, I pulled up the EA app after not checking it since the middle of March. It shows all locations as coming soon!? PlugShare shows recent usage, but EA's app seems to be inactive. I am not going to go to our local EA site to see if the app recognizes the units as active. Anybody have an idea? Is it just my phone, or are others seeing this?
Is PlugShare showing usage? Or did someone simply check in? A check in doesn't necessarily mean the site is live.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've seen maybe a week or so lag but I'm watching the ones on the I-85/I-65 corridor between ATL and Mobile. Both Plugshare and EA show Auburn as active, but Greenville, AL and Mobile as under construction.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Our local site has been up for over a year. PlugShare shows someone as having seen 44 kW, on a successful charge, on June 5th, while the EA app shows our site, and all sites, as "coming soon."

21 - 40 of 63 Posts