Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I would trust EA's app more than PlugShare. I noticed that people were checking in at EA' and Chargepoint's site when they were meaning to check in at the Super Charger nearby.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Our local site has been up for over a year. PlugShare shows someone as having seen 44 kW, on a successful charge, on June 5th, while the EA app shows our site, and all sites, as "coming soon."
If there's a discrepancy, I'd call them. It's possible that the site just slipped through the cracks, and the status in the app wasn't updated.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If there's a discrepancy, I'd call them. It's possible that the site just slipped through the cracks, and the status in the app wasn't updated.
His app is showing ALL sites as "coming soon". Since others are not seeing that I would guess a problem with his phone or the app on his phone is busted and needs to be deleted / re-installed.

Keith

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
98 Posts
Uninstall/reinstall fixed it. Thanks.
Since the EA app became available, I have had the Coming Soon issue. Deleting and re-installing the app doesn't help.

What I experience with the iPhone app is that when logged out, sites appear accurately. As soon as I login, most sites appear Coming Soon. Drilling down in a site that shows coming soon will reveal plug availability accurately, but it is misleading. I provided feedback to EA, and got some kind of marketing response.

Today, I tried a different approach. I deleted the app, shut down the phone, then reinstalled. Initially, it seemed to resolve the issue. Then, it returned, showing some sites as unavailable, and some Coming Soon.

Really, with all the time they have had to work on this, I don't understand why it is still such a mess. On the other hand, it worked flawlessly on the two times I actually used the app on a Turo rental Bolt in SoCal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have an upcoming round trip of slightly over 600 miles (out and back, same route), so I thought I better check on my options. My route has 3 EA locations, of which I’ll need 2 each way. Looking at the check-ins, each location has 4 units, but the reliability looks abysmal for all of them. I’m starting to believe lower traffic locations are not getting the maintenance/repairs/upgrades they need to make travel actually possible. EDIT: The third station nearest my destination actually has 8 units, but reliability is still not good. May just skip the anxiety and drive an ICE.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
168 Posts
Out east the "final trip video" seems like at least 1/2 the sites he tries don't work AT FIRST which he mentions adds 10-15 minutes each time he stops because he has to "mess around" trying different connectors and stations...
Can’t even watch this cause just the thought of it and past experiences makes it way too frustrating.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I have an upcoming round trip of slightly over 600 miles (out and back, same route), so I thought I better check on my options. My route has 3 EA locations, of which I’ll need 2 each way. Looking at the check-ins, each location has 4 units, but the reliability looks abysmal for all of them. I’m starting to believe lower traffic locations are not getting the maintenance/repairs/upgrades they need to make travel actually possible. EDIT: The third station nearest my destination actually has 8 units, but reliability is still not good. May just skip the anxiety and drive an ICE.
I think it can be a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation with these chargers. Electrify America needs to do a better job of testing their sites as they go live, and they really need to invite local EV owners to partake in an opening ceremony: Have a tech on hand, test different vehicles, work out all the bugs, etc. If the route is frequently used, enough EV owners cycle through to truly test it and get it up and running.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have others found that EAs app is not accurate as far as what chargers are working? I'm just curious as my experience is that recent usage by plugshare is accurate, but EAs app often says chargers are working that do not work for me. As others have said I can almost always find a charger that will work, but often times this involves trying more than one.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Have others found that EAs app is not accurate as far as what chargers are working? I'm just curious as my experience is that recent usage by plugshare is accurate, but EAs app often says chargers are working that do not work for me. As others have said I can almost always find a charger that will work, but often times this involves trying more than one.
PlugShare doesn't provide real-time statuses for Electrify America's chargers at this point (as far as I know). The EA app, though, is mostly accurate and up-to-date in my experience, though not always. Because I almost exclusively activate sessions using the app, I can see the charger status in real time. Even before I activate the session, the EA app is reflecting the fact that I am connected to a particular charger and plug.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I think it can be a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation with these chargers. Electrify America needs to do a better job of testing their sites as they go live, and they really need to invite local EV owners to partake in an opening ceremony: Have a tech on hand, test different vehicles, work out all the bugs, etc. If the route is frequently used, enough EV owners cycle through to truly test it and get it up and running.
I would respectfully disagree with the chicken/egg comment. EA installed EFACEC stations across NY which have proven to be extremely unreliable. Check plugshare for the upstate NY locations. We EV drivers have pleaded with EA to let us help, as you suggest, and come out to test stations, but not yet received any response to our suggestions.

There have been more than enough charge attempts to understand they need to be fixed.

Please see my open letter to EA

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I would respectfully disagree with the chicken/egg comment. EA installed EFACEC stations across NY which have proven to be extremely unreliable. Check plugshare for the upstate NY locations. We EV drivers have pleaded with EA to let us help, as you suggest, and come out to test stations, but not yet received any response to our suggestions.

There have been more than enough charge attempts to understand they need to be fixed.

Please see my open letter to EA
Yes, I think EA is aware of the issues with Efacec, which is why I believe they will no longer be contracting with them for chargers.

When I say chicken-and-egg, I'm referring to the high-traffic required to make chargers reliable versus the reliability required to make them high-traffic. Basically, if a charging site has a sub 5/10 score on PlugShare, people will avoid using it. As a result, it will be lower traffic, and as a result of that lower usage, it's likely to be less reliable over time. The most reliable chargers here in California are those that are in use more than 25% of the time (out of a given day, >6 hours are spent actively charging an EV). I'm not sure what the usage totals are out on the East Coast, but my guess is that they are lower, just based on the population of EVs.

So my point is that Electrify America needs to artificially spike the usage by inviting local EV owners out to charge at the site while they have a technician on hand. They're spending how many hundreds of thousands to get each of these sites up and running? How much could an opening ceremony and the wages of a few onsite techs cost?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used DCFC for the first time on a trip. It was a fun experience, mainly because of the novelty. It was at the Santa Rosa Plaza. Currently the garage is not charging for parking.

There were 2 EVgo fast chargers. I couldn't begin to read the crappy LCDs on those. Why they wouldn't use backlit e-ink displays is beyond me. The poor choice of display renders their entire existence useless.

There were something like 8 EA chargers. There was a service guy working on one of them. Only one of them was operational. The display was large and bright. I went from 40% to 70% in 22 minutes for $7. I've never seen the percentage tick up so fast before!

I tried to use Tap-to-Pay, but it wants you to set up Google Pay, which then wants you to put a lock on your phone -- so no thanks. The credit card reader worked fine. The plug connected fine.

After my trip of 290 miles, with much of it on back roads and much of it cruise-controlled at 65 mi/h, I was pleased the range showed 269 after I charged back at home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the EA site in Albany, NY all the time and I alway seem to find one of them working. Going west however is a leap of faith. I notice negative comments on PlugShare about Herkimer, Waterloo and Buffalo. I do wonder if the problem is the mobile internet connection people are using. In any event I have to drive to Buffalo next week so ....I’ll take the ICE car!

·
Registered
856 Posts
.... Going west however is a leap of faith. I notice negative comments on PlugShare about Herkimer, Waterloo and Buffalo. I do wonder if the problem is the mobile internet connection people are using.
Great cell coverage, all providers, all locations. The units are either down, or start a change and then stop, or fail while initialization with the vehicle, in my experience never while "authorizing".

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I use the EA site in Albany, NY all the time and I alway seem to find one of them working. Going west however is a leap of faith. I notice negative comments on PlugShare about Herkimer, Waterloo and Buffalo. I do wonder if the problem is the mobile internet connection people are using. In any event I have to drive to Buffalo next week so ....I’ll take the ICE car!
Great cell coverage, all providers, all locations. The units are either down, or start a change and then stop, or fail while initialization with the vehicle, in my experience never while "authorizing".
All those chargers along I-90 are Efacec units, correct? It's strange, though, that the three chargers with low scores are book-ended by Efacec sites with perfect/near-perfect scores. It's clusters of unreliable chargers like these that make me wonder whether some of the issues might be a result of the local/regional installers and techs that Electrify America is relying on or even the public utilities company serving the area. We saw something similar in Arizona, where a number of EA's ABB charger sites were extremely unreliable, yet those same units along I-15 in Utah appear to be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All those chargers along I-90 are Efacec units, correct? It's strange, though, that the three chargers with low scores are book-ended by Efacec sites with perfect/near-perfect scores. It's clusters of unreliable chargers like these that make me wonder whether some of the issues might be a result of the local/regional installers and techs that Electrify America is relying on or even the public utilities company serving the area. We saw something similar in Arizona, where a number of EA's ABB charger sites were extremely unreliable, yet those same units along I-15 in Utah appear to be fine.
Someone posted a picture at the Buffalo site of the product plate and it is an Efacec unit, not sure about all the others. I can find out what the Albany units are easy enough but they all look the same to me. The others are not as reliable as the Albany units and we have numerous choices here, it’s like an oasis in a desert of CCS here.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It is the numbers. I have never used Albany however there are many more unreliable Efacec units giving the probability that one is actually working a higher potential. As I mentioned in my thread on EA you need to read the comments in PlugShare, I find folks that give only positive feedback even when 3 of four charge attempts failed. I have spoken to one of the service techs and he is dispatched from the Boston area to service NY, and no he does not drive electric from MA. I don't think it relates to the power utility, but I can't be sure. Only EA knows the full story and they are not telling...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
It is the numbers. I have never used Albany however there are many more unreliable Efacec units giving the probability that one is actually working a higher potential. As I mentioned in my thread on EA you need to read the comments in PlugShare, I find folks that give only positive feedback even when 3 of four charge attempts failed. I have spoken to one of the service techs and he is dispatched from the Boston area to service NY, and no he does not drive electric from MA. I don't think it relates to the power utility, but I can't be sure. Only EA knows the full story and they are not telling...
I agree that it's necessary to make a qualitative assessment of the PlugShare score by reading the comments; however, what you observed about the check ins works both ways. I also see a number of sites where every failed attempt is registered as a separate check in. A single individual with a negative experience can easily offset 8 to 10 positive check ins. It's why the sites with scores of 8 to 10 out of 10 are actually doing a lot better than I think people might give them credit for, and even sites with scores of 5 to 7 out of 10 might not be as unreliable as people might presume.

We've had a number of EA sites out here in California that have appeared completely unreliable on the surface. Then, after looking not just at the comments but the user profiles, it became apparent that there were compatibility issues or the people checking in were just trolling. For example, the Spark EV specifically had (has?) issues with ABB chargers. It's really not specific to EA other than that EA is the primary company using Terra HP units. Another example is Bolt EV owners who don't realize they need to lift the cord during activation. One Bolt EV owner who doesn't know better is capable of shutting down an entire EA site, requiring all the chargers to be rebooted. Finally, I saw a number of negative check ins at EA sites by Model 3 owners before the update that enabled them to use the CHAdeMO adapter. When I messaged them about what they were driving at the time and why they were unable to activate the charge, the response was typically some trollish comment. Basically, they just wanted to make the site look bad.

So overall, I agree with you. These site reliability assessments need to be both quantitative and qualitative.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts