Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Hopefully this cable will work better than the liquid cooled ones. Eliminating cooling pumps, and leaky seals might improve their operating rate.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Hopefully this cable will work better than the liquid cooled ones. Eliminating cooling pumps, and leaky seals might improve their operating rate.

Unfortunately, those cables don't support 150 kW charging. The peak of 300 A is interesting, which means they can support ~120 kW for a short period; however, these cables will really be limited to "100 kW" chargers, which EVgo is already deploying. Their 200 A units do not require liquid cooling, though, unfortunately, they are also power sharing.

I actually think those 100 kW chargers are probably the best option for dine-in restaurant and grocery store locations because they are well-suited for 30-minute to 1-hour stops.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
192 Posts
I agree that it's necessary to make a qualitative assessment of the PlugShare score by reading the comments; however, what you observed about the check ins works both ways. I also see a number of sites where every failed attempt is registered as a separate check in. A single individual with a negative experience can easily offset 8 to 10 positive check ins. It's why the sites with scores of 8 to 10 out of 10 are actually doing a lot better than I think people might give them credit for, and even sites with scores of 5 to 7 out of 10 might not be as unreliable as people might presume.
Agreed. In fact, when planning on some trips, I’ve reviewed many reviews where people said they weren’t able to charge because there was already an EV there charging. That dings the site, but it obviously isn’t nearly as bad as a site with a bad unit. Makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I drove from OK to CO today, stopping at 5 different EA sites. The first charger I tried worked at 4 out of 5 sites. At one site, I tried a couple times but couldn’t get a charger to initiate, moved to the next one over and was good to go. Overall pretty good, just wanted to report a positive experience. (I did leave a failed (and also successful) PlugShare checkin for that site and submitted a trouble ticket to EA.)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Reliability really need to exceed 95%. Wonder if the charge initiation would still be an issue with Plug-N-Charge...

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Reliability really need to exceed 95%. Wonder if the charge initiation would still be an issue with Plug-N-Charge...
The charge initiation issues we're seeing right now are mostly with older Bolt EVs that don't seem to have CCS charge ports that are built to proper tolerances. There's a really big question as to whether Electrify America's plug-and-charge functionality will even work with those older Bolt EVs, which (as I understand it) lack the ISO/IEC 15118 communication standard. If Electrify America made their plug-and-charge feature backward compatible, it should actually improve the reliability for Bolt EV owners whose cars fail to support the cables properly. Basically, the simple instructions would be:

Plug in and lift the cable until you hear actuator engage.
At that point, the charge session should have initiated, and supporting the cable is no longer needed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The charge initiation issues we're seeing right now are mostly with older Bolt EVs that don't seem to have CCS charge ports that are built to proper tolerances. There's a really big question as to whether Electrify America's plug-and-charge functionality will even work with those older Bolt EVs, which (as I understand it) lack the ISO/IEC 15118 communication standard. If Electrify America made their plug-and-charge feature backward compatible, it should actually improve the reliability for Bolt EV owners whose cars fail to support the cables properly. Basically, the simple instructions would be:

At that point, the charge session should have initiated, and supporting the cable is no longer needed.
I've wondered how many of my EA failures are not holding up the handle properly, maybe both EA and I are getting better at things.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I've wondered how many of my EA failures are not holding up the handle properly, maybe both EA and I are getting better at things.
It's possible. As much as I fast charge, I still have times where the plug didn't seat properly, and I need to activate a second time. It could be awkward positioning of the cable/charger or just a lack of attention, but it still happens to me occasionally. Overall, though, I think I've gotten pretty good. Outside of actual charger issues, I think I'm definitely over 99% activating on the first attempt.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts