Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm wondering how long these cars will go. The Leaf and Prius has proven that Li ion batteries last a lot longer than we think. The Leaf in particular has a air cooled design and they both are earlier battery technologies. For example the Bolt has a chemistry (nickel rich IIRC) designed to withstand heat better, not to mention the active water cooling. Plus the Bolt has a motor design that is probably the most reliable on the market (GM R&D really paying off here)

My baby is babied ... I have it in a climate controlled garage now kept to 72 year round. Most of the time I park it at work shaded by solar panels and I keep the charge between 30%-70%, with Hilltop Reserve when I want a bit extra range. Cosmetically I have a care cart and wash/clean it probably once a week (the garage is also my office so I won't park a dirty car in it).

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think Consumer Reports are just trolling Tesla, forcing it to implicitly admit that Model 3 is still not really a production car :)
I think they're just conservative which is the behavior I've noticed from them over the years. More than anything this is probably based on Tesla's well known history of releasing buggy cars. They use their customers as beta testers. Additionally they use technologies which are inherently less reliable, such as the gull wing doors, their water jacket cooled motor (which runs hot) etc. Tesla is a great business innovator, but I think they didn't recognize the difficulty in basic auto innovation. GM knows how to do it, did you know they are the ones that developed the Neodymium magnet which is used in everything from hard drives to our engine (I assume the magnet in the Bolt is Neodymium - it has to be)?

I keep beating this drum, but Tesla is unfairly getting accolades for technical innovation. Comparing the Bolt versus the Tesla lineup I see the Bolt as being technically superior on a basic engineering level. Where Tesla is the great innovator is their business model which deservedly kicked GM in the butt.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I'm wondering how long these cars will go. The Leaf and Prius has proven that Li ion batteries last a lot longer than we think.
All of the previous generation Priuses used NiMH battery packs. But Toyota certainly did show that with proper software management a battery pack could last the life of the car. Consumer Reports tested a 10-year old Prius with 200,000 miles (300,000km!) on it and found it to be essentially identical in terms of driving and fuel economy to a Prius that they had tested as new 10 years earlier.

The Prius is an amazing product - a rare case of groundbreaking technical innovation that was rock-solid reliable right out of the gate. Here in Vancouver it seems like virtually all of the taxis are Prius or other Toyota hybrids. Considering the taxi industry's practice of buying cars that are reliable and have low operating costs, that alone is a better endorsement for the Prius than anything else I've seen.

I expect taxi companies to wake up to the potential of electric vehicles very soon, and the Bolt may well be in the vanguard of that shift. I suspect the only thing holding them back is a fear of investing in new technology at a time when their business model is under siege from the ridesharing companies and the threat of automation.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Prius is an amazing product - a rare case of groundbreaking technical innovation that was rock-solid reliable right out of the gate.
The Prius was impressive but unfortunately because a victim of it's own success. The later generations were little different from the first. Also hybrid cars were first invented in the early twentieth century. I think they all were of the type where the gas engine was a pure generator and disconnected from the drive train. I'm not sniping the Prius but I never bought one because I viewed the hybrid drive train as a stepping stone, and the car didn't really develop much after release.

I expect taxi companies to wake up to the potential of electric vehicles very soon, and the Bolt may well be in the vanguard of that shift.
Oh they already are, I think in London they are going to BEV's in droves. The running cost of gas cars in continuous use like Taxi's is enormous, they're always in the shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts