Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

More seat time in a Tesla M3 Dual Performance

5K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  Fivedoor 
#1 ·
Since the M3 Dual Performance is a $60,000 + luxury performance sedan, it should be about twice as nice as our Bolt in most areas. However, as with wine, each increment of price increase does not necessarily equate to an equal increase in "goodness."

1. The M3 Dual Performance acceleration is other-worldly. The Bolt is quick; the M3 DP is mind-bendingly fast.

2. The M3 DP seats are at least twice as good as the Bolt.

3. The longer wheelbase smooths out the ride over bumps; especially speed bumps, where the Bolt is really bad.

4. All Teslas require a steep learning curve to operate all the bells-and-whistles. GM made the decision to make it as easy as possible to transition from an ICE.

5. The one area the Bolt is much better than the M3 is day-to-day errand in-and-out. The smaller size and the overhead camera make it easier to park and to maneuver in crowded parking lots. The Bolt's higher H-point is easier to enter/exit. The M3 is typical of today's performance sedans. The low H-point allows a lower roof line for a sleeker look, but taller driver's left shoulder is always behind the B-pillar and butts are almost dragging the highway; makes climbing in and out a chore.

Bottom line - I love driving the M3 DP, but the Bolt is still our first choice for day-to-day use.

jack vines

See less See more
#3 ·
Good comparison. With my HOV stickers expiring at the end of 2021 and EVs evolving, I'm planning on moving on from my 2017 Bolt around the end of next year. Right now, I'm leaning towards a Tesla and probably either the LR or Performance M3 because of the, well, performance, and the supercharging network and love reading good, honest reviews like these.

Thanks for posting!

#6 ·
Good comparison. With my HOV stickers expiring at the end of 2021 and EVs evolving, I'm planning on moving on from my 2017 Bolt around the end of next year. Right now, I'm leaning towards a Tesla and probably either the LR or Performance M3 because of the, well, performance, and the supercharging network and love reading good, honest reviews like these.

Thanks for posting!
Test the standard LR before you decide. I sometimes regret not holding off and getting the P but I needed a car soon and it wasn't available at the time. I've not driven a P but even the LR will pin you back and the thing is, I really don't get the opportunity to take full advantage of what it has now. If I had a P, it would be mostly unused unless I tracked it regularly.
I think it's great for a while but would be interested in how often the difference between the two versions (LR or P) really makes day to day. Even the LR gives my son nausea when pushed and I've never felt it lacking at on ramps and grabbing a gap in traffic.

#4 ·
Agree with every point. I've had a lot of fast cars and I wasn't prepared for the acceleration of the M3P. It actually makes you lightheaded and gives you tunnel vision on full throttle. And yeah, I think that's a good thing! ;) I'd still pick the Bolt for my "prefer to drive everyday" same as your #5.

Mike

#5 ·
Owning both vehicles myself, I agree. Although I don't think the learning curve is that bad, they're just different in how they approach things.

I'm hoping the Model Y addresses some of the issues of #5.

I love driving the Model 3 from a performance and comfort point of view, but I love driving the Bolt from a practicality and ease of parking/maneuvering point of view.

#7 ·
Since the M3 Dual Performance is a $60,000 + luxury performance sedan, it should be about twice as nice as our Bolt in most areas. However, as with wine, each increment of price increase does not necessarily equate to an equal increase in "goodness."
It's the Pareto's Principle which in this case translates to, roughly: You get 80% of the benefit for 20% of the price.

#9 ·
I would just add that if you're considering any Tesla you can use Tesla's web based trip planner to see how many Super Charger stops you need to make and for how long to get to a destination. It will give you a good idea as to what to expect. Even if you'll never drive from Albany, NY to Houston it's still fun to see that it can be done and what the trip will be like.

#15 ·
I would just add that if you're considering any Tesla you can use Tesla's web based trip planner to see how many Super Charger stops you need to make and for how long to get to a destination. ......
Right, it's built in with the Tesla.

But then I found A Better Routeplanner !
This is the same function as Tesla's planner and it spurred me into buying a cheap used '17 Bolt Premier in LA and driving it to KC, no problem. (There's a glut of lease returns in Cali, I think.)

Later did I find that I can adjust it in more detailed settings for weather, wind, arrival %SOC at next stop.
Started at 114° in LA, then 22° with snow and slush in the Rockies, then 30 mph headwinds across the lonesome prairie.o_O

Fortunately I watched my Garmin, the GOM, its MIN and trend line and adjusted my speed accordingly.
There was once I started out too fast ( thought I had an easy leg) and ended going 63 mph on the interstate, but never arrived at less than 8% SOC.

Best I can say is, 'it can do road trips'....:sneaky:

#12 ·
First off, tell me how many times you're going to use the "other-worldly acceleration". Unless you live in a wide-open area (which won't have many public chargers), I'm guessing not much.

Second, I cannot get past that stupid touch screen for every function on the car. I guess I'm somewhat of a Luddite, but I think the idea of having to go to a screen for everything is the most distracting thing you could do for a driver. And there aren't many drivers left anyways these days! We don't need to create more screens for idiots to look at while they're piloting a two ton car..

Rant off....

#14 ·
First off, tell me how many times you're going to use the "other-worldly acceleration". Unless you live in a wide-open area (which won't have many public chargers), I'm guessing not much. Rant off....
One either loves it and finds opportunities to use it and finds it of value, or one doesn't. Your car, your money, your decision.

FWIW, I'm a 75-year-old hot rodder who never outgrew the urge to surge, but I long ago quit buying fast ICEs. The noise, the expense, the hassles were no longer a good tradeoff. However, the Dual Motor Tesla requires no compromise. Drive it like grandma and it performs beautifully. Drive it like ya stole it and it performs beyond anything you've ever experienced, unless you're a Top Fuel drag pilot.

jack vines

#22 ·
Well, I paid 19k for a new 2013 Volt and 21k for a new 2017 Bolt. Although I will admit 3k of the Bolt price was from my GM card discount. Also, a Model 3 is 37k, not 60-120k. And navigation is included. You don't have to pay for any data plan. So it works even without a cell phone.

A cheap Bolt plus ABRP is a great like hack. But it's not a mainstream product. Your average consumer will never know ABRP exists of they don't pay attention to the forums. Kind of like iPad users, they want something really, really simple.

#23 ·
... Also, a Model 3 is 37k, not 60-120k. And navigation is included. You don't have to pay for any data plan. So it works even without a cell phone...
Really? $37k for a Model 3? :unsure:
I'm from Missouri,,, you'll have to show me. Do you have a screen shot?
I assume you are talking about a RWD sedan. I don't want that... I deal with snow and ice.

But the Tesla has a cell phone. What happens when you're out of cell service range?
And, that built-in cell phone... Do you really think it will be a totally free service for ev va and ev va?
Through multiple owners?

You do bring up a good point though. How would a garden variety Bolt owner ever know about ABRP if they're not
'Ev Nerds'?:p

Reactions: DAC17
#29 ·
Jack has already covered it, but RWD can be more capable than FWD in the snow, especially if the vehicle has the traction control dialed in well. Without traction control, the main issue is that loss of traction in the rear means oversteer, which is more difficult to recover from than understeer.

I'd have no worries driving a modern RWD vehicle in snow country with proper winter tires. The limiting factor then is usually ground clearance. It's nice having a bit more traction for acceleration with AWD, but all cars are all wheel cornering and all wheel braking.

... and I'm always saying this, but the standard Model 3 can still be had by phone order for ~$36k. Seems most people prefer to spend a bit more for the SR+

#30 ·
... and I'm always saying this, but the standard Model 3 can still be had by phone order for ~$36k. Seems most people prefer to spend a bit more for the SR+
After driving the Dual Motor, I'd find the extra, even if I had to work nights and weekends as a greeter at Walmart (and I hate Walmart!)

jack vines

#53 ·
For me the seating (hip point) is too low in a Model 3. Love the seating in my Bolt.
Agree, with one caveat. Once in the M3 and on the highway, the M3 seat and driving position are far more comfortable than the Bolt. However, our use is 99% urban and for older folk, the low seating position and low roofline of the M3 compromises ingress/egress; making it an ordeal each time; with frequent in-and-outs, the Bolt wins big.

jack vines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.