Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone foresee GM offering a tiered battery system like Tesla for example?

Tesla has demonstrated it's possible to pack more density into a similar sized package...

OR

Could we see a 90 kWh battery in the Bolt, albeit badged as a Cadillac for example?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Could we see a 90 kWh battery in the Bolt, albeit badged as a Cadillac for example?
Like how the Cadillac ELR was an improved Chevy Volt? Last I heard that was a total flop :D. I don't think GM execs are going to pit a 90kWh Bolt against a full on Tesla

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think we'll see GM make constant incremental improvements to the range of the Bolt battery pack. The 2019 Bolt might have a 80 kWh pack, for example.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like how the Cadillac ELR was an improved Chevy Volt? Last I heard that was a total flop :D. I don't think GM execs are going to pit a 90kWh Bolt against a full on Tesla
Why not, what if it was re-skinned as a sedan for instance...

The ELR debacle, was fittingly a debacle. That was traditional GM arrogance rearing it's ugly head.

It's been a problem for Cadillac, who seems to believe that if you price it people will come... ERRR... ts about the product.

Where the ELR was a piss poor product execution, asking more than double the cost of the Volt, for FAR less than double the car...

BUT

If Caddy were to commandeer the Bolt, and up it's capacity (keeping it Caddy exclusive I might add) then they would have their cost increase justified right there... IMO

·
Registered
79 Posts
Look, the Bolt is a cool product. But I know it's not a Tesla. I'm not paying Tesla money. If my choice was between a full on Tesla or a reskinned Bolt, I'm still choosing the Tesla if the price was the same...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look, the Bolt is a cool product. But I know it's not a Tesla. I'm not paying Tesla money. If my choice was between a full on Tesla or a reskinned Bolt, I'm still choosing the Tesla if the price was the same...
Who said the price had to be the same?

and for all the benefits of Tesla, they are still untested when it comes to competing product.

The Bolt is the first product to take the fight to Tesla... and while TEsla is certainly a cool company I would much rather put my faith in a monolith like GM for some reason.

GM offers other practical benefits beyond the hip factor. Things like a WELL established dealer network and a properly massive supply chain...

See IMO you also have to consider: why can't a car based on the Bolts architecture with an 80/90 kWh battery be just as good if not better than a Tesla?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts