Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day I've been dreaming about has arrived. My 2 boys wanted to go mountain biking with me. It's the perfect excuse to drag the wife and a random extended family member out to a trail. It was just a practice run. Shifting, climbing and descending a single hill with a few scrapes and falls along the way.

Here's the Bolt in full MTB dress: Saris Thelma 3 hitch rack on a Drawtite hitch and two Inno INA 388 roof racks on Cadillac crossbars.

Registered
Amazing!

What kind of efficiency do you get compared to no racks (mi/kWh)? Just two bikes on a Saris Bones hatch rack will drop my average by 1mi/kWh (3.8 to 2.9) particularly at highway speeds of 65-70.

There was an earlier thread: Bike rack and Mi/kWh impact with good discussion but few data points.

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only had the one trip, but I can tell it's not very efficient. After the trip, I took the hitch rack off but left the roof racks on and have been driving to and from work all week. So far, it's showing 3.0mi/kWh on the App since the last full charge.

In addition without the roof racks, the GOM showed a 189 mile range at 80% charge (hill top assist on). With the two bike racks on the roof, I'm getting 160 miles on the GOM. That's a 15% loss in range.

Registered
Amazing!

What kind of efficiency do you get compared to no racks (mi/kWh)? Just two bikes on a Saris Bones hatch rack will drop my average by 1mi/kWh (3.8 to 2.9) particularly at highway speeds of 65-70.

There was an earlier thread: Bike rack and Mi/kWh impact with good discussion but few data points.

Thanks
Hi! So the Saris Bones EX 3 will fit a 2017 Chevy Bolt? I can't see why it wouldn't work, but the Saris website seems to indicate that this rack does not work with our car. Any tips on fit?

Registered
Any updates on the Saris Bones EX3? Does it work with the 2017 Bolt? Curious to know!
Sorry for the delay,

I am using a discontinued model, the Saris RS 3 with clips, rather than straps, the fit the bottom of the Bolt 2017 trunk lid. The upper steel straps of the RS 3 clip neatly to the hatch and tighten easily with the ratchets. Please see: https://www.saris.com/uploads/PDF/Manuals/16809-Bones-RS.pdf

From the manuals, the EX3 may work even though it has more straps than a square rigger. https://www.saris.com/uploads/PDF/Manuals/Bones_EX_3-Bike_Manual.pdf

Recall, the RS 3 was not approved for the Bolt either. I had one from an Audi A3 and was able to make it work. You may have the same luck.

Good luck.

Reactions: sidereal
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.