Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm excited to be joining this forum now as I have been on the GM Volt forum for a few years now. Last week, I traded in my 2014 Volt for a new 2017 Bolt. I've been batting around the idea for a while now, but the trigger ended up being my new job. Previously, I had a 3 mile round trip commute. 3 miles. Needless to say, unless the temperature was dropping below 15 degrees to activate ERDTT or we took a longer trip, my miles were almost all electric. Three weeks ago, I started a new job where my commute increased 47 times in length. I now drive 71 miles to work in the morning and 71 miles home in the evening. After two weeks of doing this in the Volt and having to fill up about every other day, I decided it was time to change. I couldn't be happier. Even with the cold weather we've been having, I have no issues with getting to and from work with a split of 30 miles on rural roads averaging 60 mph and 40 miles on the interstate running at 75 mph. My employer is even willing to install a level 2 charge station, so I will effectively be driving the car during the week without having to pay to "fuel" it. I'll be posting my experiences here too, since I'm pretty sure I will be putting more miles on my Bolt than 95% of the owners out there. Just this first week alone, I've put nearly 1,500 miles on the car. My biggest complaint to date has to be the thin padding of the bolsters of the seatback. I honestly have bruises on either side of my back from the pressure points. Other than that, I love it. The miles fly by, the car is unbelievably quiet, the technology is fantastic and other than burning through tires over the next few years, I feel confident that my overall maintenance costs will be minimal. Again, excited to be here and pick up information and feedback from fellow owners and enthusiasts. Electric is the future and I'm so happy it's here now.

167 Posts
70 miles Daily Commute -- Bolt is Perfect

We have a 70 mile daily commute requirement and the Bolt EV is perfect. Other then tires / inspections, No maintenance! Many other advantages too with the best choice being the Bolt EV . No more gas or oil. Low insurance costs. Safety designed and featured. Volt Gen 2 was good but Bolt EV is far better with even better on the way from GM.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I had a similar situation with the commute change but my Gen 2 was still brilliant with the commute. Unfortunately, it developed a misfire issue that I was tired of hearing and I upgraded to a Bolt EV. I noticed you're in WI. Have you had a chance to experience a winter commute yet? For me in the Pacific Northwest, winters are mild with maybe a few days where we might have snow/ice. Typically, my winter driving has been 90% 60mph freeway with ambients in the 28-35 degF (morning) and 38-48 degF (evening) and I get a range of 180 miles. This is with a 100 mile commute so the Guess-o-Meter (GOM) should be pretty accurate with my remaining range getting home being 80 miles @ 45% State-o-Charge (SOC).

Your commute is 142 miles so you might be pushing it in the tougher WI winters and perhaps some traffic and/or side trips to/from work. I know I get nervous when I have to divert off the freeway to get around bad traffic accidents via side streets. That extra energy use and heater usage has you eyeing the GOM more often than normal.

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know I get nervous when I have to divert off the freeway to get around bad traffic accidents via side streets. That extra energy use and heater usage has you eyeing the GOM more often than normal.
Actually, getting off the freeway and taking side streets will save you miles and energy. Freeway driving over 60 mph will definitely lower your miles and energy use.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Actually, getting off the freeway and taking side streets will save you miles and energy. Freeway driving over 60 mph will definitely lower your miles and energy use.
When you're using the heater slower speeds hurt because a greater proportion of your energy goes into heating. At half the speed it takes you twice as long to get somewhere, during which your heater consumes twice as much energy.

I'm not sure where the break-even point is such that the air resistance at higher speeds outweighs the heater use. But with the heater on it's definitely at a higher speed than with it off.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm excited to be joining this forum now as I have been on the GM Volt forum for a few years now. Last week, I traded in my 2014 Volt for a new 2017 Bolt. I've been batting around the idea for a while now, but the trigger ended up being my new job. Previously, I had a 3 mile round trip commute. 3 miles. Needless to say, unless the temperature was dropping below 15 degrees to activate ERDTT or we took a longer trip, my miles were almost all electric. Three weeks ago, I started a new job where my commute increased 47 times in length. I now drive 71 miles to work in the morning and 71 miles home in the evening. After two weeks of doing this in the Volt and having to fill up about every other day, I decided it was time to change. I couldn't be happier. Even with the cold weather we've been having, I have no issues with getting to and from work with a split of 30 miles on rural roads averaging 60 mph and 40 miles on the interstate running at 75 mph. My employer is even willing to install a level 2 charge station, so I will effectively be driving the car during the week without having to pay to "fuel" it. I'll be posting my experiences here too, since I'm pretty sure I will be putting more miles on my Bolt than 95% of the owners out there. Just this first week alone, I've put nearly 1,500 miles on the car. My biggest complaint to date has to be the thin padding of the bolsters of the seatback. I honestly have bruises on either side of my back from the pressure points. Other than that, I love it. The miles fly by, the car is unbelievably quiet, the technology is fantastic and other than burning through tires over the next few years, I feel confident that my overall maintenance costs will be minimal. Again, excited to be here and pick up information and feedback from fellow owners and enthusiasts. Electric is the future and I'm so happy it's here now.
Congratulations on the Bolt...sounds like it made a lot of sense to get one. As for charging free at work keep in mind that might not necessarily be the case. My office offers two L2 charging stations but they're not free. Your employer may be willing to install a charging station but they may not provide free charging.

Looks as if there might be a solid after market for Bolt seats.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We have a 70 mile daily commute requirement and the Bolt EV is perfect. Other then tires / inspections, No maintenance! Many other advantages too with the best choice being the Bolt EV . No more gas or oil. Low insurance costs. Safety designed and featured. Volt Gen 2 was good but Bolt EV is far better with even better on the way from GM.
2014 is the first generation Volt.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm excited to be joining this forum now as I have been on the GM Volt forum for a few years now.
Great choice on the Bolt Blastersix. I was always interested to know more about maintenance issues with the Volt. How often did you have to service (oil change interval) the gas motor in the Volt? My understanding is that the generator just idles when it kicks-in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I currently own a 2017 Volt and am waiting impatiently for a 2018 Bolt! As far as maintenance goes, I have owned it for 13 months and still have 48% on the oil life monitor so I have yet to do my first oil change. I do not put a ton of kilometres on a year as my drive to work is short so that probably helps as 80% of my total kilometres are electric only. When the engine does run due to the battery being depleted, it can just idle to make power, but can also (and usually does) clutch in to assist with accelerating. Because the Volt only has one "gear" the engine only assists while in its RPM range, so usually from 35km/h to about 90km/h. Before and after that range is electric motors only. In the winter when the temps outside are lower than 0°C, the engine will cycle on and off every few minutes to keep the engine warm for if it needs to help, and probably to help make heat. After driving all electric, this is probably the most annoying thing about driving the Volt for me, the engine being on! I enjoy driving all electric and having the noise and vibration of the engine spoils it for me. So overall, fill up with fuel approx once every two months, top up washer fluid are my maintenance costs thus far. Hope that answers some Volt questions and am looking forward to posting from the Bolt driver perspective instead of the Volt!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I agree, but there are times when I doubt Google's routing since it doesn't take into account elevation changes. There's also the unknown factor winding through the occasional residential street, which adds miles to your commute, negating the energy efficiency of slower speeds with longer distance traveled. Compared to the 60mph freeway for energy consumption, it probably comes out the same. Sean Nelson also said it well when it comes to heater/defogger usage.

It probably does not use much more (if any) energy than my straight-shot commute on the freeway, but I swear when you start sitting in an unknown neighborhood and your GOM starts dropping by a mile due to heater usage and not actual driving, you start to sweat the range a bit.

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, just about two weeks into ownership, 1,700 miles so far and it's still fantastic. I cannot believe how quiet this car is at interstate speeds. The Michelin's as LRR tires obviously aren't the most responsive, but they sure are quiet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So, just about two weeks into ownership, 1,700 miles so far and it's still fantastic. I cannot believe how quiet this car is at interstate speeds. The Michelin's as LRR tires obviously aren't the most responsive, but they sure are quiet.
Same experience. 2 months 1/2 into ownership, over 5000km and still very happy :laugh:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Just wait until you finally get to replace them. Do some research on quiet tires and you'll see (hear) there's room for improvement. I'm particular to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus LRR series, but there are others.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Here's few pictures I snapped at work when I arrived since it's a sunny day here (Milwaukee) and the car is clean (kind of).
You can't even see a dust ring on the rear window where the wiper wipes. You have pretty strict standards of clean.

I washed my car Sunday and just 2 days of rain and I have road grime all over it. :crying:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Waiting on my new Bolt to arrive, trading in my Volt for upgrade. On your back issue, this week Costco has gel lumbar support pads on sale for about $20. I bought a couple and they work great in the Volt soon to be Bolt....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts